Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Any HipHop fans out there?

nickeast

I'm looking for a good hiphop party on either Firday or Saturday night. I know of the standard hiphop rooms of the mega clubs. Rather I'm hoping to find a downtown hipster vibe where the thugs are left on the corner and professional people roam about. I hope I'm not overestimating the musicial scope of this board, especially being that NY is the birthplace of hiphop.

Thanks in advance to whom all reply!

:cool:

Not many people on this board talk about hip-hop music or bars/clubs as far as I can tell. It's hard to find a hip-hop club/bar where the thug factor is low but the music is good.

La Linea, Bob Bar, Sapphire Room, Ludlow Bar are among a few near the LES that spin hip-hop. The thug factor sometimes can be semi-high, it changes, but I've had more problems at clubs than those places. I think Brownies used to have hip-hop, but don't know anymore. I wouldn't expect to go in their wearing a suit or a button down shirt and fit in at those places, more casual and relaxed.

I heard LuAnn lounge is more yuppie/professional on 5th and 11?/12th? in the village is a decent lounge that was playing hip-hop, but haven't been there yet. Bar 13 also spins hip-hop on friday i know (DJ does it off of CDs though), but not many thugs there. I'm sure there are more lounges that play hip-hop as well.

peace.

I forgot to mention Izzy Bar on Tuesday has the 'Real Live' show which has great live undergroup hip-hop/freestyle show. It had great energy and vibe, but its on a Tuesday.

Also Giant Step productions sometimes have hip-hop shows during the week at Shine if I remember. I went to one a few months back and it was great.

I haven't been to Twirl in about 6 months, but I went a few times earlier this year and last year, my friend used to be a bartender there, and a few of my friends had parties there and everytime I was there the DJs sucked big time. The crowd barely moved.

Has it improved, did they finally get good talent there?

Originally posted by gqraver

I haven't been to Twirl in about 6 months, but I went a few times earlier this year and last year, my friend used to be a bartender there, and a few of my friends had parties there and everytime I was there the DJs sucked big time. The crowd barely moved.

Has it improved, did they finally get good talent there?

Lots of good talent...New Party started saturdays on July 14th and is still going strong.. Pete Schwinge..Russ Reign... Justin Time to name a few.. some great guests upcoming... here are some pics from last saturday... http://vipguestlist.ync.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=005275

kewl. glad to know there's some hip hop fans in this place. well there's club speeed. or club ivy. there's also le bar bat on tuesdays which i heard is hot (i think they have free food too!!). or if your really old, there's The Shadow. thats right down the block from F.I.T. yep. have fun now.

Originally posted by gqraver

I heard LuAnn lounge is more yuppie/professional on 5th and 11?/12th? in the village is a decent lounge that was playing hip-hop, but haven't been there yet. Bar 13 also spins hip-hop on friday i know (DJ does it off of CDs though), but not many thugs there. I'm sure there are more lounges that play hip-hop as well.

peace.

LuAnn's is REALLY yuppy, you wont find none of the thug factor there, everyone is in the fashion industurty..modles,photograpgers,designers....but its really small. Well when I went it was....that was like last november. But if its the same way when I went....then u should have fun.