Clubplanet Nightlife Community

An e-mail chain letter from MOBY (A letter from an Afghanistani)

mugwump

This letter was forwarded to me. It's from an Afghanistani man who lives here in the U.S. In my opinion it's worth reading.

-Moby

Dear Friends, I am from Afghanistan, and even though I've lived here for 35 years I've never lost track of what's been going on over there. So I want to share a few thoughts with anyone who will listen.

I speak as one who hates the Taliban and Osama Bin Laden. There is no doubt in my mind that these people were responsible for the atrocity in New York. I fervently wish to see those monsters punished. But the Taliban and Bin Laden are not Afghanistan. They're not even the government of Afghanistan. The Taliban are a cult of ignorant psychotics who captured Afghanistan in 1997 and have been holding the country in bondage ever since. Bin Laden is a political criminal with a master plan. When you think Taliban, think Nazis. When you think Bin Laden, think Hitler. And when you think "the people of Afghanistan" think "the Jews in the concentration camps." It's not only that the Afghan people had nothing to do with this atrocity. They were the first victims of the perpetrators. They would love for someone to eliminate the Taliban and clear out the rats nest of international thugs holed up in their country. I guarantee it. Some say, if that's the case, why don't the Afghans rise up and overthrow the Taliban themselves? The answer is, they're starved, exhausted, damaged, and incapacitated. A few years ago, the United Nations estimated that there are 500,000 disabled orphans in Afghanistan-a country with no economy, no food. Millions of Afghans are widows of the approximately two million men killed during the war with the Soviets. And the Taliban has been executing these women for being women and has buried some of their opponents alive in mass graves. The soil of Afghanistan is littered with land mines and almost all the farms have been destroyed . The Afghan people have tried to overthrow the Taliban. They haven't been able to.

We come now to the question of bombing Afghanistan back to the Stone Age. Trouble with that scheme is, it's already been done. The Soviets took care of it . Make the Afghans suffer? They're already suffering.

Level their houses? Done. Turn their schools into piles of rubble?

Done.

Eradicate their hospitals? Done. Destroy their infrastructure? There is no infrastructure. Cut them off from medicine and health care? Too late. Someone already did all that. New bombs would only land in the rubble of earlier bombs. Would they at least get the Taliban? Not likely. In today's Afghanistan, only the Taliban eat, only they have the means to move around. They'd slip away and hide. (They have already, I hear.) Maybe the bombs would get some of those disabled orphans, they don't move too fast, they don't even have wheelchairs. But flying over Kabul and dropping bombs wouldn't really be a strike against the criminals who did this horrific thing. Actually it would be making common cause with the Taliban-by raping once again the people they've been raping all this time. I don't have a solution. But I do believe that suffering and poverty are the soil in which terrorism grows. Bin Laden and his cohorts want to bait us into creating more such soil, so they and their kind can flourish. We can't let him do that. That's my humble opinion.

Tamim Ansary

Why can't we just remove them from power once we invade? Once the country is conquered the government should be removed and restructed to better help the people of Afghan. If a government is put in place and supported by U.S and world backing these should be able to resist any outside forces and any retaliation from the Taliban...

After WWII, Israel was created and this created alot of pissed off countries. But Israel is still around today and has yet to be overthrown or conquered. Germany and Japan were our mortal enemies during WWII. Once they were conquered and put in theri places... they are now our best friends...

Why can't we agree as a world that the corrupt gov'ts in the Mideast need to be removed and new gov'ts need to be established in their places?:blown:

not all of the middle eastern govts are like that

jordan, egypt, and saudi arabia have been allies with the united states for a long time

heck, even iran has been warming up to us lately

the only country that we need to worry about is iraq

as far as afghanistan goes, im not usre. I do think that airstirkes will not be useful (how many times have we tried to kill saddam hussein?). we need to invade the country in order to find bin laden. i have the feeling that once us troops enter the country, the taliban will be overthrown. thats my 2 cents

Yeah its good to hear all the perspectives from every corner of the world. He does have many valid points, I myself know nothing about the situation in Afganistan or anything about their economy and well being. All I do know is that there is a terrorist group running around there that needs to be eliminated. Boming innocent people will not help. The Afgan government needs to step in and assist us with finding them. If they are unwilling to cooperate then we should make a move.

yeah. that letter is truer than true.... i heard a general or someone on cnn today describing how if we send in ground troops, it'll be like kuwait. the true afghans will be 100% behind us, because they know when we get bin laden and all his boys out, they can get their country back. we are not in this war for territory or oil or anything. the russians were trying to take over the whole country back in the 80's. this time it's different

Originally posted by loch

mugz, you're a couple days late on this story. it's been floating around here and just about everywhere else, with much discussion:

http://bbs.clubplanet.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=57921

Hey Loch,

How have you been?

I didn't realize this letter had been posted before.

I've only been on line and on boards a couple of times since the entire ordeal.

But if I can bump this letter up by reposting it (without my knowing)

I am happy.

It makes some great points.

Glad to see you are well...

Moby may be an overopiniated fuck...

but he struck home with this one with me.