Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Billboard Review

shroomy

Well, despite Pod’s warnings a group of friends and I decided to check out Billboard on Saturday. Due to the week’s events no one was in the mood to really blow it out and figured it might be a decent choice. Plus I heard they had a terrace and since it was the coolest Miami evening in recent memory thought it might be nice to sit outside a bit.

The good

The space is not bad, a bit cold (both figuratively and literally) lots of marble and smooth surfaces etc. Plus the AC had it about 65 degrees. They have a nice little bar area when you walk in, nice wrap around seating with tables etc, perfect for chatting and as a home base if you have a bunch of people. They also have another bar area with tables and stools etc. I hate not having a place to sit, especially with a decent size group, so that was nice. The sound system was decent, but since the place was only half full, it wasn’t a decent test. There were two other floors that overlooked the dance floor but were VIP only, they wouldn’t even let you up stairs. And the terrace we were looking for did not exist as far as I could tell. The dance floor did have a nice high ceiling, (my biggest complaint about Space) and cover is cheep at only $19 a head (really) It was funny to watch the girl working the register have to use a calculator when I paid for 2 people with $40!

The bad.

The crowd was light with a subdued vibe, understandable considering the week’s events, but I really don’t think it would get much better no matter what week it is. I had a feeling that half the crowd just got back from their carnival cruse and couldn’t get their flights back to NY because of the airline situation.

The music was flat out cheesy. I thought it had possibilities when I walked in to the oldie (by club standards) Bob Marley Redemption remix (“I’m a rainbow too.”) it continued at a nice slow pace appropriate for the crowd. Where it went wrong was when the DJ tried to pick it up. He just didn’t have a chance with this crowd, but kept trying anyway. He jumped all over the board, and played every overplayed power 96 mix piece of crap, even trying a couple hip hop tunes before I jumped on the stage and beheaded him. (well I would have with one more hip hop piece of shit) BTW I asked about the DJ and was told his name was DJ Q or something like that.

By 3:00 the place was ¼ full and we headed over to W6 for a nice night cap and called it an early night around 5:00.

Bottom line is save your money unless this place really turns around. I can see it taking off with the tourists in season if they are lucky, but that is about it.

I can’t say the night was wasted because I had a good time with my friends, but it was the company that made the night fun, not the venue.

So you bit the bullet and took one for the team! The venue sounds pretty rough........$19 dollars to listen to power 96 all night! No thanx, i'll pass. It seems like all these new venues are pretty weak, its probably b/c the crowd and talent refuse to give up on our weekend regulars (crobar, space, and opium).

Thanx for the review..........