Clubplanet Nightlife Community

My experience at Ground Zero...

cmb1975

At 5:00 Friday morning my two sisters and I headed out to Jersey City to donate some things. However, at the very last minute, our plans changed and we veered off course and headed straight for the Lincoln Tunnel. Once we got in, we parked the car and humped a case of peanut butter, two cases of water, bread and medical supplies to Chelsea Piers. We helped unload it and signed up to volunteer for the day. What happened next was totally unexpected.

My younger sister and I boarded a Suffolk County Police boat and headed downtown, to Battery Park City, Ground Zero.

When I got off that boat, soaking wet about 15 minutes later my life changed forever.

Words cannot express what I saw. I spent the day helping different people from all over the WORLD who had come to NY to help. Ironworkers, ConEd workers and of course the police and firemen. Hearing different stories, both good and bad. Seeing the remains of the twin towers and the ruins of the other buildings. Seeing abandoned stores and coffee houses and offices. But the one thing I will never forget is what I saw within the first 5 minutes of being there.

As I would through the glass atrium and through the hallway of stores, I walked out into a common area. As I looked around a noticed a fireman sitting on a bench, his head hung low. His buddy sitting next to him with his arm around him, consoling him.

I am moved by the outpouring of support from the communities. These men and women refuse to leave and continue to work on through the day and night. Their eyes are heavy, their faces drawn. These people have seen things that no one should ever have to see. That I pray I never have to witness. And they are so kind. For every fireman or policeman or ironworker I helped find dry socks or new boots or dry clothes or a hot meal, three more would thank me for all that I am doing. I would so no please, thank you.

To all the men and women I met, saw, spoke to yesterday, God bless you all. You are our true heroes.

I know exactyl what you mean..

I started to volunteer at my school since thursday morning.all day..then all day friday...The salvation army set up a triage center at my school..and i jumped at the oppurtunity to help...

Its just SO good to know that eveyrone is pitching in to help in some way...even if its to just walk around new york and cheer on the police men, emt's and fireman

Every little bit does help..and it makes me so happy to know people on this board are doing what they can...

United we stand =)

~Dee~