Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Vinyl or Cd's? *Read*

exitheadzzz

I know most djs in Ny spin vinyl, well the top ones anyway, Jp, Dt, etc. Some of the ones who dont give a shit mostly spin cd's all night, plus a lot of the shit they spin being unreleased so it has to be on cd anyway.

New to the scene here and wondering what these dj's spin, im sure the guys in space spin vinyl, and all the other top djs down here, wat about the hole in the wall clubs? can anyone who knows how to use a cd mixer go there and work? just curious, thanks!

-mike.d

Any place down here worth spinning at supports both CDs and vinyl.

You don't have to start off at a hole in the wall...try W6, it's small and they take chances on new guys, and are still a class act...

If at all possible, do this, since if you start at a rathole, it's a bitch to go anywhere else...

I am no DJ. But one of the advantages of spining CD's is that changing the speed does not change the pitch like it does on vinyl. So if you need to slow down the CD to beat match or whatever, it is still in the proper key. With vinyl the speed does affect pitch (guess thats why they call it the pitch :) )

IMO all good DJ's should be able to spin both. But I can spin neither.

Originally posted by shroomy

I am no DJ. But one of the advantages of spining CD's is that changing the speed does not change the pitch like it does on vinyl. So if you need to slow down the CD to beat match or whatever, it is still in the proper key. With vinyl the speed does affect pitch (guess thats why they call it the pitch :) )

IMO all good DJ's should be able to spin both. But I can spin neither.

FYI: Turntables now can have that Key Adjust and even have a digital out (for CD burners / Computers)

Also just for the record: Every DJ uses what he or she chooses there is no golden rule that to be a top DJ you have to spin vinyl, but purist (and old guys) such as myself will never get into CD players (not even the Pioneer CDJ-1000) because we need the Feel & Torque of a real Turntable.

But Honestly a GOOD DJ should be able to spin on anything, ANYTHING..... how many of your favorite superstar DJs can do that ? :tongue:

Actually, I read an interview with DT in Mixer Magazine and he was talking about how much he LOVES to use CDs at gigs. They're light weight, sound great, and easier to cue up. Not only does he use CDs but if he's heard a track on someone else's compilation that he likes and hasn't had a chance to go out and get. . . HE'LL USE IT! He's just careful to mix out of it before the next track comes in. But, hey. . . He's Danny Tenaglia, he's payed his dues and proven himself time and time again. He's allowed. :D