Clubplanet Nightlife Community

IS BT A SELL OUT OR A GENIUS? (poll) *live Pinky room 10/23!

IS BT A SELL OUT?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. IS BT A SELL OUT?

• YES! (Damn fool's giving Electronic music a bad name)
    • NO! (He's an underated and misunderstood genius!)
    • Never heard of the guy.

First time I heard BT in 96 I fell in love with him..

I thought "Holly shit..this is sooo fluffy and yet so powerful when you surrender your ego."

(Of course I was rolling at a huge outdoor party in DC):tongue:

However the more I heard about this character the more I started to think of him as a multi talented pioneer of soundscapes.

He's produced everything from Drum and bass, Industrial, Techno, Rock, New School breaks, Trance and now pop.

In his interviews he talks about "Brainwaves" and "audiorythmic machines" that he hopes will one day allow DJs and Musicians to play music through the simple act of "THINKING MUSIC".

Don't laugh..he's actualy got the gear in creation.

I kept this in mind last three times I caught him live..

I imagine a day when he'll walk up on stage with a helmet and look at the audience as Symphonies pour out of his head..

Man's an oddity!

And yet I'm confused..

How can a guy that shows such a great sense of humor on stage as well as in his Cds..

turn around and produce boy bands and bad movie scores?

This is the man's who's worked with Adam Freeland on what is still one of my favorite CD's of last year; "Movement in Still water".

The Brilliant producer/DJ behind dance floor anthems like Flaming June and Mercury and Solace.

The genius that opened up his show at The Roxy playing guitar in a ROCK BAND (Which scared the CMJ crowd away for the true dancers) ..and later that same night pumped up one of the most beautiful LIVE Trance sets I'Ve heard in years..

So why is Mixer calling him a sellout for working with INSYNC?

Why is the dance community shy to his ideas..?

What do you think?

Is this musician a visionary or an example of the commercial bastardization of a genre that use to be original?

IS BT A SELL OUT OR A PROPHET OF ELECTRONIC MUSIC?

Check him out spinning in the Pinky Oct 23rd and make up YOUR OWN MIND!

Bt is both man He is truley a genius but he also has stepped on alot of people to get where he is. I loved his album and I love the way he is so fresh and orginal with all the shit he does but.. cmon Kids we're not 14 15 16 any more we know what drives this world. It pains me to say it but it ain't love its money. Those nysnc Brats have more money than God so they paid him to produce a track.. I mean for god sakes they got Michael Jackson to dance on stage with them how much money do you think that took???

BT definatley has skill... but he does what he wants

and I think he has sold out electronic music to pop culture a lil bit but.. ya gotta get that paper dog.

-C

given you a dollar takin back 98

Originally posted by siceone

Bt is both man He is truley a genius but he also has stepped on alot of people to get where he is. I loved his album and I love the way he is so fresh and orginal with all the shit he does but.. cmon Kids we're not 14 15 16 any more we know what drives this world. It pains me to say it but it ain't love its money. Those nysnc Brats have more money than God so they paid him to produce a track.. I mean for god sakes they got Michael Jackson to dance on stage with them how much money do you think that took???

BT definatley has skill... but he does what he wants

and I think he has sold out electronic music to pop culture a lil bit but.. ya gotta get that paper dog.

-C

given you a dollar takin back 98

soo true bro..

but that applies to soooo many DJs and musicians..

There is a fine line between making a living and making bad choices..

I mean what's next?

Hawtin remixing Britney Spears?

Where does it go from making $$ to bringing on shame on your reputation?!

But HELL WITH IT..

I forgive you Brian T..

I would like to hear him spin and see how he can mix it up. However, I caught him playing his own stuff at the Bowery Ballroom last year and felt like I was just listening to a cd of his music and watching him pretend to twist knobs. He was jumping around way too much to actually be playing. I have seen acts like the Orb and they are knob twisting the whole time.

I would cry if hawtin produced a britney spears track.. god I dont know what I would do

yeah but really BT may seem like a nice guy but hes out for him self and to tell you the truth I cant blame him you know? in the music biz nice guys finish last if they dont watch they ass. If I we're him I would cry later about the mixmag article and say "see ya at the platinum party."

-C

um, to throw my own 2 cents into this and whatnot...

BT is good, but he's gotten big enough to warrant a lot of mainstream attention. It's all good as long as he doesn't begin to "Cater" to others, sacrificing his talent in turn.

And I'm sorry Sice, but I do believe he is producing the next Britney Spears album, the WHOLE album.

Originally posted by xpander

um, to throw my own 2 cents into this and whatnot...

BT is good, but he's gotten big enough to warrant a lot of mainstream attention. It's all good as long as he doesn't begin to "Cater" to others, sacrificing his talent in turn.

And I'm sorry Sice, but I do believe he is producing the next Britney Spears album, the WHOLE album.

SHUT THE FUCK UP no Fucking way.... I can see it now lil boys and girls wearing A&F shirts and hats coming up to me in the club asking me if I Have any "E" and giggling and shit talking about useless crap and how much they wish the Dj would play that song that they heard on the radio you know That song the really popular one... I think Im gonna be sick...

-C

Originally posted by siceone

SHUT THE FUCK UP no Fucking way.... I can see it now lil boys and girls wearing A&F shirts and hats coming up to me in the club asking me if I Have any "E" and giggling and shit talking about useless crap and how much they wish the Dj would play that song that they heard on the radio you know That song the really popular one... I think Im gonna be sick...

-C

I'm sorry man...I'm sorry...

But yeah, Britney got all revved up after BT did her boyfriend. So now he's doing her.

Originally posted by Beverage10

I would like to hear him spin and see how he can mix it up. However, I caught him playing his own stuff at the Bowery Ballroom last year and felt like I was just listening to a cd of his music and watching him pretend to twist knobs. He was jumping around way too much to actually be playing. I have seen acts like the Orb and they are knob twisting the whole time.

True..

I was there as well and enjoyed that set very much..

I thought it was a DEAD on set..

But yea..

producing aka: performing is all about triggering off samples at the right time..

It's like MIXING live..

SO WHAT?!

There are different skills to both mixing Vynil and mixing sample that you trigger off ..

and I thought BT did a great job of it that night.

The Record has the track already made..

the sampler has a sampled sound pre-recorded..

Would you rather see someone spin his own track off of his record?

I guess we have yet to see what BT's skills with turnatables are like..

BTW Britney also has Deepdish in mind from what I hear!

It's aaall going to hell boys!:confused:

Originally posted by crystalmethod

Perhaps this is just the next step in evolution of music?

A new phenomena?

Deep Dish and Brittany... "I'm a sl sl sl sl slaaaaaave for you."

LOL

Yo Steve..I know I'm seeing you at the Pinky on the 23rd right?

*Mugz thinks back at The Bowery doing shots of Yeiger next to Steve and DJ Rap before he even knew what CP was really about yet.