Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Ecstasy

Originally posted by heretic909

heh heh

Are you Dutch? If you are, then what I meant to say was 'fuck those Dutch scientists that came up with this study, but Dutch people in general are cool'. Better? :D

LOL, nah I don't remember what wallflour said... Too many pills!:D:laugh:

The study noted that ecstasy users were more likely to smoke marijuana than the controls, which might have influenced the memory test results.

Gee... d'ya think? :rolleyes:

IMO, this is one of the largest factors affecting the conclusiveness of ecstasy studies. Not to say that ecstasy doesn't affect memory (I just don't know), but to my knowledge, cannabis has not been ruled out as a factor in any studies so far.

do you know the name of the study? so that i can find the journal article.

i have read many studies preaching of the dangers of ecstasy and the problem is that they are inconclusive for one of three reasons:

1) the study was funded by NIDA, national institute of drug awareness. they are more of a propoganda machine then a research institute so i would not believe a word they say. they are not objective and CLEARLY have an agenda, and you can outright dismiss any scientific claim which they make.

2) the studies were done on rats, monkeys or mice, which have a different phisiology of the brain then humans do, especially with regard for cognition, memory and neurotransmitter content like seratonin. additionally, in most studies rats were given doses of about 10 pills, twice a day for two weeks. that would be enough to kill anything... it does not say anything about casual or recreational use. just think about what happened with Sweet&Low - they said it caused cancer in rats in california, but years later it was shown that if you pump a rat with basically ANY substance in that quantity they're pretty much fucked.

3) studies on human users have been extremely limited. there are way too many things to take into account:

a- the users might be lying about their ecstasy usage during the trial period

b- the substances they have taken may not have been pure mdma (which is more then likely) and the additives may have caused the ill effects.

c- the objectivity of the test: in one, they tried to compare the responses on a memory and factual exam between mdma users (the day after they rolled) and non-users. the non-users turned out to be graduate students. this basically says that a cracked out club kid is not as good a test taker as a graduate student.

We are all well aware of the hell that comes with the few days after - it is the long term i am interested in. I am interested in its affect on seratonin transmitters and receptors, dopamine (and increased likelihood for parkinson's disease) and other nerotoxicity effects.

This is not to say that MDMA usage is safe. There is an inherent risk involved in any type of drug use. I belive that it is every American's right to have ALL of the information available so that they can make an informed, intelligent and rational descision about what they can and can not put into their bodies.

And if you do choose to roll, please be in a safe environment, with plenty of water available.... and a CHILL ROOM DAMMIT! (nothing bothers me more then a chill room without any room to chill.... besides the propoganda machine of the neo-aristocracy of course)

rob

Drug Ecstasy Damages Memory Brain Cells-Dutch Study

Reuters

Oct 14 2001 4:25PM

CHICAGO (Reuters) - The popular club drug "ecstasy" causes temporary injury

to brain cells, but the result is long-term damage to memory, Dutch

researchers said Sunday.

Memory tests and brain scans performed on 22 subjects who had recently used

ecstasy revealed they suffered memory deficiencies and changes in certain

brain cells.

The scans showed the damage was most pronounced on cortical neurons linked to

memory function. In ecstasy users, those brain cells had a decreased density

of receptors for the neurotransmitter serotonin, which transports messages

between cells and is known to affect mood.

Previous research has suggested that ecstasy causes a flood of serotonin in

the brain, followed by a drop-off when the drug wears off.

Brain scans performed on 16 former ecstasy users who had abstained from the

drug for at least a year did not show lasting damage to the serotonin

receptors in cortical neurons.

But ex-users did not perform as well on memory tests as 13 control subjects

who had never used the drug. While the neurons of ex-users seemed to recover,

the consequences on memory from the earlier ecstasy use may be irreversible,

study author Liesbeth Reneman of the Academic Medical Center in Amsterdam

said.

The longer that ecstasy was used and the higher the dosages, the worse the

memory impairment, the study found.

"We identified that MDMA (ecstasy) use is associated not only with short-term

consequences (on memory) but with long-term consequences as well," Reneman

wrote in the October issue of the medical journal Archives of General

Psychiatry.

Study participants, who ranged in age from 18 to 45, agreed not to use

psychoactive drugs for three weeks prior to the testing. The study noted that

ecstasy users were more likely to smoke marijuana than the controls, which

might have influenced the memory test results.

Previous research has shown ecstasy, sometimes known as MDMA or by its

chemical name 3,4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine, can cause dramatic changes

in heart rate and blood pressure. It can also lead to dehydration and has

been shown to cause lasting changes in the brain's chemical systems that

control mood and memory. Animals studies have shown damage to brain cells

connected to memory function.

RTR/SCIENCE-HEALTH-ECSTASY-DC/

Copyright © 2001 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved. Republication or

redistribution of Reuters content, including by framing or similiar means, is

expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters. Reuters

shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any

actions taken in reliance thereon. All active hyperlinks have been inserted

by AOL Anywhere.

Originally posted by rfc

I read a study saying that MDMA is good for you. Makes you happy and smarter. I forget where I read it though.

I wrote that one. It was published in a small journal called "Napkin". After publishing Napkin I then gave a series of lectures to a wide audience on the mental and physical benefits to MDMA. My talks were well received, as most of the participants (myself included) were already taking MDMA supplements for homeopathic purposes.

Typical comments ranged from "that was the beeeeest lecture i've eeeeevr heard" to "oooh your pants are so shiny can i touch them?".

Future work includes "The effects of MDMA on the perception of pitch and tambre in electronic dance music" and "SEX AND E: Too much of a good thing?".

Dr. Rob

Originally posted by dialectics

I wrote that one. It was published in a small journal called "Napkin". After publishing Napkin I then gave a series of lectures to a wide audience on the mental and physical benefits to MDMA. My talks were well received, as most of the participants (myself included) were already taking MDMA supplements for homeopathic purposes.

Typical comments ranged from "that was the beeeeest lecture i've eeeeevr heard" to "oooh your pants are so shiny can i touch them?".

Future work includes "The effects of MDMA on the perception of pitch and tambre in electronic dance music" and "SEX AND E: Too much of a good thing?".

Dr. Rob

LMAO!!!