Clubplanet Nightlife Community

DJ Lessons/Classes ???

dcsglow

any one know of any places around northen virginia that offer dj classes or lessons...i just recently bought some stantons and i want to learn the basics...and maybe a little more before i go and spend hours in my basement doing it myself...aight hit me up thanks guys. :D

Metatrack Studios is exactly what you're looking for.

http://www.metatrackstudios.com

Or, I can hook you up with lessons for a nominal $25 per hour ;)

Either way, you'll be a superstar in three months. :D :D :D

Actually, if you already know the basics, then it's all about practice. If you have no idea about the basics, then get someone to show you or go to Metatrack and have them show you.

But after that, it's all about putting in hours and hours of practice till your back aches and you're hearing is gone and you're wondering what the fuck am I doing all this for? And then you spend thousands and thousands of dollars on vinyl, cause your collection's gotta be up to date. And every few weeks, you go through the joys of trying to record a CD, and deal with the nightmare of something always going wrong when you hit that damn record button. And then you finally get a good CD, and you pass it out, and you wait, and you wait. Meanwhile spending more and more money on vinyl, cause your shit's gotta be up to date. And then you wait, and you wait. And then you realize your CD is out of date. So you go through the whole ordeal of recording. And you have shit happen to you that never normally happens when you're not recording. Like the needle skips. Or the recorder inexplicably stops recording in the middle of a 'perfect' set. And then you finally get a good recording and pass it out. And you wait, and you wait. Meanwhile, all the money you've spent on vinyl could've gone towards something more rewarding, like paying off your whole fucking car. But you don't care, cause you want the next new tune. You have to have it. It's an addiction. And you wait, and you wait. And how come there hasn't been a single damn call about my CD?!?! And so you keep buying more vinyl. And keep recording. And keep waiting...

And then one day, it happens. You finally get a gig. And it's the best fucking feeling in the world. :D

Good luck, Jimi. Just don't get too good, now. I don't need the competition :D :D :D I heard Metatrack was the bomb, though, so you should definitely check that shit out. :D

Originally posted by shadygroovedc

Metatrack Studios is exactly what you're looking for.

http://www.metatrackstudios.com

Or, I can hook you up with lessons for a nominal $25 per hour ;)

Either way, you'll be a superstar in three months. :D :D :D

Actually, if you already know the basics, then it's all about practice. If you have no idea about the basics, then get someone to show you or go to Metatrack and have them show you.

But after that, it's all about putting in hours and hours of practice till your back aches and you're hearing is gone and you're wondering what the fuck am I doing all this for? And then you spend thousands and thousands of dollars on vinyl, cause your collection's gotta be up to date. And every few weeks, you go through the joys of trying to record a CD, and deal with the nightmare of something always going wrong when you hit that damn record button. And then you finally get a good CD, and you pass it out, and you wait, and you wait. Meanwhile spending more and more money on vinyl, cause your shit's gotta be up to date. And then you wait, and you wait. And then you realize your CD is out of date. So you go through the whole ordeal of recording. And you have shit happen to you that never normally happens when you're not recording. Like the needle skips. Or the recorder inexplicably stops recording in the middle of a 'perfect' set. And then you finally get a good recording and pass it out. And you wait, and you wait. Meanwhile, all the money you've spent on vinyl could've gone towards something more rewarding, like paying off your whole fucking car. But you don't care, cause you want the next new tune. You have to have it. It's an addiction. And you wait, and you wait. And how come there hasn't been a single damn call about my CD?!?! And so you keep buying more vinyl. And keep recording. And keep waiting...

And then one day, it happens. You finally get a gig. And it's the best fucking feeling in the world. :D

Good luck, Jimi. Just don't get too good, now. I don't need the competition :D :D :D I heard Metatrack was the bomb, though, so you should definitely check that shit out. :D

HOLY SHIT YO! THAT MUST OF BEEN THE FUNNIEST THING I'VE SEEN ALL DAY, NO BULLSHIT! so what's this about you hooking me up with lessons 25 per hour...tell me more g...pm or just post back here

Originally posted by dcsglow

HOLY SHIT YO! THAT MUST OF BEEN THE FUNNIEST THING I'VE SEEN ALL DAY, NO BULLSHIT! so what's this about you hooking me up with lessons 25 per hour...tell me more g...pm or just post back here

Naw, dude. I was just kidding about the 25 per hour. Metatrack is the way to go. I'd definitely look into them. They've got phat ass equipment like the Allen & Heath Xone mixer or the Pioneer DJM-600, Techs, good monitors, etc. I'd go to one of their seminars, which I think is only like $10/hr or something. Then go and practice what you learn, and then if you hit the wall, go back and get some one-on-one.

I'm always down for shootin' the shit about spinning, too. And there are a few good resources out there to check out. http://www.djsource.co.uk is pretty decent for tips and they've got a DJ message board. The problem is, it's got a bunch of kids on it so take any advice you hear on there with a grain of salt. I think the site is still good. Haven't checked it in a while, but they have links to basic tips and tricks which is probably the best I've seen anywhere.

Originally posted by chynado11

whatever happened to just someone breaking out and practicing in your house..thats amazing now they have dj lessons?? it takes a good ear and someone that knows their rhythm..

:bounce:

cd

It's all about practice. But it also helps to get pointers here and there. I think that's what Metatrack really can offer. Weekly lessons may be overkill. But every once in a while, having someone watch you and tell you what you're doing right and wrong can be very helpful.

I can just envision some of the classes:

Turntables 101

Turntable Skillbuilding 101, 202, 303

Crowd Control

House 101

Techno 101

Trance 101

DnB 101

Research methods in DJ'ing

Qualitative DJ Analysis

Quantitative DJ Analysis

Biostatistical Approaches to DJ'ing

Calling 911

Contract Negotiation

Medical Sciences Applied to DJ'ing

The Sociology of the DJ

Writing a Disertation for DJ'ing

anyone has more suggestions for the curriculum?