Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Alright so I've decided I absolutely must have DJ equipment...

...and I don't know what to get myself. I am looking to keep it cheap (like no more than say $450), I haven't touched the stuff before but I don't want to waste my time getting something I'll have to replace in 10 days anyway 'cause I need something better/more sophisticated. Anyone have advice on what brands to look for, to avoid, what kind of mixer I should grab myself...? Thanxxxxxx ;)

:rolleyes: Wow kids, I think I meant USED... i have found some items that fit well within the price range and i will also be able to get a hookup through my friends at the dj store at home, but i'm not home to ask right now. Soo.. back to the question....

PS Trancend - :bigfinger :finger: :bigfinger :finger:

Augh Sice! You are SO not the good shopper. If you look hard enough (and smile cute enough at the guy behind the counter lolz jk) you can find them for much less. Now if you will excuse me I am going to go slam my head against the wall because I'm clearly the only frustrated optimist in the room :mad:

go on canal street.. you're bound to find it there

i personally get my equipment from musiciansfriend.com

they got a buttload of stuff on DJ equipment

personally if you wanna go cheap you can get this:

American DJ DCD-PRO200 MKIII Dual CD Player: $289

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ex/shop/011020213747024168137056350511?pid=800897

Gemini CDX-602 Dual CD Player: $299

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ex/shop/011020213747024168137056350511?pid=800227

and

Gemini PS-626PRO 2 3-Channel Pro Stereo Mixer: $149

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ex/shop/011020213747024168137056350511?pid=800224

or even cheaper:

Gemini PS-525PRO 10 Inch DJ Mixer: $129

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ex/shop/011020213747024168137056350511?pid=800245

these are good starters.. i didn't metion turntables caues they're expensive, unless you get a belt driven turntable (which i would highly recommend against). You should only get a turntable that is direct drive. it lasts longer and has a better pick up speed. and it's more of a steady spin. the first mixer would be a good choice for now because if you decide in the future that you want a turntable. you'll have the extra channel on the mixer to do it

i'm sure you can find better out there, but this is what i know that works out good.

good luck

my boy is selling his technic 1200's brand new dust cover needles also headshell and all for 500 bucks for both he is tight for cash and doesnt spin anymore there like not even 8 months old also i get sick connects on dj equipment such as mixers or speakers or wateva if ur interested instant message me my screen name is dj klutch on aol i might be able to even talk the kid down on that price hit me back . . . .

> > SaL kLuTcH

Originally posted by djklutch

my boy is selling his technic 1200's brand new dust cover needles also headshell and all for 500 bucks for both he is tight for cash and doesnt spin anymore there like not even 8 months old also i get sick connects on dj equipment such as mixers or speakers or wateva if ur interested instant message me my screen name is dj klutch on aol i might be able to even talk the kid down on that price hit me back . . . .

> > SaL kLuTcH

we is gonna have to talk..

From what I've learned buying music equipment: no matter what you buy there is always something someone can bitch about. You drop $1000 on a keyboard and someone says "for $1800 you could have bought a better one". If you don't buy technics 1200s everyone will say "why didn't you buy the 1200s?". If you do buy them, someone else will say "you're just getting those because everyone else has 'em". No matter what you get people will always say that there is something else you should have gotten - so you have to understand that for $500 you're not getting top of the line turntables, but you're getting something that meets YOUR needs.

I just spent $300 on a pair of numark TT-1250s for my little brother, and everyone said that for $400 you could have gotten a pair of Stanton's. Blah Blah Blah - its not the best but at least its something.

here's what i've learned from turntable shopping:

- you must have direct drive. do not skimp out on this

- packages are good but expect to upgrade the mixer within 1 month

- learn to use a 3- or more input mixer. Its easy to drive automatic when you know how to drive stick, but the reverse is not so easy.

- ebay is your friend!

- spending $700 on a pair of 1200's is great - but first see if spinning is something you're ready to devote time and energy to. have your own decks that you can practice on and learn with and once you get the 1200s you'll appreciate why (or if) they're so great.

rob

rob