Clubplanet Nightlife Community

When does a song become OLD?

12inch

I see all over this board "That song is old". What classifies a song as old? Is there a certain number of times that you have to hear it or is it a certain number of days that it's been out? How do you determine when a song is "OLD"? Also, does it make you a bad DJ if you don't play the newest stuff? Basically I want to know, does it matter how "OLD" a song is if it's good?

I have my own opinion on this but I want to keep the thread pure, without any of my influences on this subject. I want to see what everyone has to say.

it all depends i think on the person. when a trak gets released it is considered new to most people on this board for about. mm a week maybe.. when someone gets indroduced for the first time to a trak it is considered new to only themselves. there are people on this board who are sarcastic and not understanding if you got a old trak that you think is new.

good question. its everyones opinion. all the higher posting kids on the board will jump down your throat. but most people dont care.

thats what i think.

i dunno it depends on the person that sez it... some ppl might just get a song and to another person it might be old.. but i think an old track is when its about 1 month or 1 & 1/2 month old... but i really dont think that when a song gets old its no good anymore... maybe the energy might not be but the skill involved in a track will never go away... :D :D

Originally posted by clubhead3k

it all depends i think on the person. when a trak gets released it is considered new to most people on this board for about. mm a week maybe.. when someone gets indroduced for the first time to a trak it is considered new to only themselves. there are people on this board who are sarcastic and not understanding if you got a old trak that you think is new.

good question. its everyones opinion. all the higher posting kids on the board will jump down your throat. but most people dont care.

thats what i think.

lol we think almost alike... i posted it about 2 minutes after u did...

would "Sandstorm" by Darude be considered an old song???

:confused: :confused:

one member of the board (cant remember off hand) had a pvd quote which i think best summarizes the question to this topic---

".....there's good records and shit records" or something very similiar to that

Originally posted by DJMikeE

would "Sandstorm" by Darude be considered an old song???

:confused: :confused:

one member of the board (cant remember off hand) had a pvd quote which i think best summarizes the question to this topic---

".....there's good records and shit records" or something very similiar to that

wasnt me

I think it also depends on how played out the song gets. When "Music Sounds Better With You" first came out I felt the song was old in a couple weeks after DJs had played it out to death. I heard one guy play it twice in a two hour set up in Boston at Avalon, so I was finally like "enough with this fuckin song already, this shit is old".

But with more underground stuff, you might hear a tune played only a handful of times, so it can be six months down the road and you might still think the tune is fresh.

But yeah, it's perceived differently by everybody. I still play a lot of old tunes (I played "Mobile Bitch" last night, lol). I'll play shit when it comes out, then stick it in the back of the crate for 1 1/2 - 2 years or so and dust it off after the original buzz around the song has died out.

As soon as a song hits KTU i consider it "OLD". And when someone in your local bar is playing it.. it is "OLD".. but basically when youve heard it over a thousand times and everyone is playing it everywhere even at places that never play anything.. then it is "OLD" I hate when good songs become "OLD" So many tracks that used to be "HOT" got played out by djs and radio stations so bad that i cannot even listen to them anymore. When it reaches Z100 then it is really really "OLD" and not even considered a track anymore.