Clubplanet Nightlife Community

for someone who has taken accounting.....

Originally posted by loch

accounting doesn't have to be a career. major in it. get a job doing it for a couple of years. then branch out, move out or move up in mgmt. lays a great foundation for understanding expenses/budgeting/financial flow mgmt, and gives you a good business sense regardless of discipline/industry.

so true..

i don't even plan on working in public accounting at all actually.. i may be able to use my current experience w/ a cpa firm to qualify for my 2 years required in public accounting.. if not i'll apply and become licensed based in another state..

but there are more cpa's in executive positions then any other degree type.. like you said, they understand the flows and behind the scenes transactions beter then anyone.. combine it w/ finance and your set..

ultimately i'll be combining finance and cpa w/ economic theory...

Originally posted by PFloyd40

yea thats what a lot of people i know are doing too..

i was a finance and economic theory major.. but scheduling problems restricted me from it.. i had planned on doing that then studying for my CPA after and taking the test after i graduated so i would have finance, econ and accounting...

now imma try and go back after i graduate for econ, and after a few years work go back for either finance or econ for my mba..

what are you looking to do?

M&A or venture capital, preferably within the telecommunications sector; preferably not at the big 5 or the big investment banks either (did the big company environment thing already....didnt like it too much)

Originally posted by PFloyd40

so true..

i don't even plan on working in public accounting at all actually.. i may be able to use my current experience w/ a cpa firm to qualify for my 2 years required in public accounting.. if not i'll apply and become licensed based in another state..

but there are more cpa's in executive positions then any other degree type.. like you said, they understand the flows and behind the scenes transactions beter then anyone.. combine it w/ finance and your set..

ultimately i'll be combining finance and cpa w/ economic theory...

that's a nice combo to have on your resume.

as accounting majors, the colleges push for their students into public accounting and becoming cpa's. i originally wanted to become a cpa too, but not for life...figured i'd do my 2 years and move on. however, most college grads gain employment in the cpa firms from on-campus recruiting with the local firms. and since that opportunity was forgone b/c i wanted to moved out here, my best employment option in was in corporate accounting (which i started out w/).

the one niche i notice that's taking off is accountants with an understanding/experience in MIS/systems. my experience has allowed me to venture into that route. it's such a BIG market...the financial software suites and enterprise systems...SAP, PeopleSoft, Oracle; it's one huge niche for anyone with both backgrounds to do well in.

another niche for accounting majors is to continue on to law school; or forensic accounting (specializing in investigative/audit trail/fraud accounting).

"we now conclude our special college career planning session"