Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kramadas

WTF - Bush is backing out of the ABM treaty!

12 posts in this topic

Sorry, I guess I'm in a very political mood today...but WTF...Bush is scarpping the ABM treaty! And Russia is saying its gonna put multiple warheads on its latest missiles!!!

Initially (since I'm not that much into politics) I really didn't have an opinion of Bush, but what I'm finding out is getting worse and worse.

I guess I can be characterized as a liberal!

http://www.cnn.com/2001/ALLPOLITICS/12/12/rec.bush.abm.treaty/index.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by Kuro

Launching antiballistic missile initiatives was one of his campaign promises. It shouldn't be a surprise.

I wasn't following the campaign too closely - I guess I got this sudden interest in politics only recently! :D

Now I feel like a fool! :eek:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yeah, i think republicans tend to focus more attention on armed forces and stuff like that....bush sr. made it a point in his campaign and we know reagan and nixon also followed the same pattern.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by vicman

yeah, i think republicans tend to focus more attention on armed forces and stuff like that....bush sr. made it a point in his campaign and we know reagan and nixon also followed the same pattern.

There's nothing wrong with putting money into the armed forces. But an ABM system is not the way to go. Especially when you consider that some of our servicemen with families have to rely on food stamps in order to feed their children.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by raver_mania

Sorry, I guess I'm in a very political mood today...but WTF...Bush is scarpping the ABM treaty! And Russia is saying its gonna put multiple warheads on its latest missiles!!!

Initially (since I'm not that much into politics) I really didn't have an opinion of Bush, but what I'm finding out is getting worse and worse.

I guess I can be characterized as a liberal!

http://www.cnn.com/2001/ALLPOLITICS/12/12/rec.bush.abm.treaty/index.html

I knew that was coming! And don't worry - I'm I raving left wing liberal myself and a pacifist to boot!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with that kuro, but also everytime there is a republica administration spending in for the military goes up sharply while spendinbg in other areas, such as health care and education either remain stagnant, decrease or increases minimally

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by Kuro

There's nothing wrong with putting money into the armed forces. But an ABM system is not the way to go. Especially when you consider that some of our servicemen with families have to rely on food stamps in order to feed their children.

Moreover, *climbs on the school of foreign service soapbox* using an ABM system will destroy the current balance of power. Not that Bush would *know* what balance of power is because he only got through school because his daddy said he should, but hey, i mean, as long as there's pigskin and pickup trucks I guess it's all good right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by vixenfoxxy

Moreover, *climbs on the school of foreign service soapbox* using an ABM system will destroy the current balance of power. Not that Bush would *know* what balance of power is because he only got through school because his daddy said he should, but hey, i mean, as long as there's pigskin and pickup trucks I guess it's all good right?

But long before we even get to the point of balance of power issues we have to deploy an effective, working ABM system which I don't expect to see. They'll be working on it for years to defend against missiles that "rogue nations" don't even have yet while U-Hauls filled with fertilizer, fuel oil, and dynamite are going off all over the place. I thought that after the attack the whole ABM thing would be forgotten in place of more pressing threats. Guess not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

can we say thats what republicans are good at doing??

i mean i thought bush was better with the military than clinton was but im starting to wonder if thats even true..bush stinks..and the votes were rigged..

:bounce:

cd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First, I don't agree with what Bush is doing. Concentrating on the reduction of the world's nuclear weapon stockpiles and nonproliferation of exiting weapons of mass destruction (or even not-so-mass-destruction) really should be a the first priority in this realm.

However, from a political point of view, let's not forget that this "son of star wars" was started under the Clinton administration. I think both parties are to blame for pushing it to this point. Of course, you can then trace the heritage back to Reagan and the original "star wars" idea.

BTW, I'm a registered independent. I don fully agree with the platforms of any political party and would rather not be labeled as belonging to one. Yeah, I'm probably a freakin' liberal too, but my thoughts and opinions are my own for no one else to claim.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0