Clubplanet Nightlife Community

????

chynado11

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by chynado11

Who thinks that dance/electronic music will die down and music will offer something different..for example, the garage stage, and the grunge stage, the alternative stage...music evolves through the generations..what are your insights on this

:bounce:

cd

That's why there are different genres in electronic music. The different genres will evolve over time. New genres will appear. But the music as a whole will never die. It may just be different from what we know it to be now.

the next generation might as well be listening to country music as far as we know...or hell, maybe even classical...same thing can be said for fashion, its all revolving and its what the people in the streets want, what eventually gets produced, not the other way around....

yeah, when 30 years from now I put my S&D cd's my kids mightas well be saying, "yo pops, WTF is that old skool shit?"

i agree but however..as technology builds and has built through the years...new sounds and new levels and progression of this music has really changed how the genres are looked at now..for instance, i dont think there are really progressive beats anymore..its alot of gray area tracks, meaning, there are tracks that have a trancey feel and then go off into breaks, or into a techy style...i think electronica has gotten harder and darker...in house or trance...but can it go any harder or darker than it has?? will it go back to flighty and fairy like sounds after this?? george used to play epic and more cheesy stuff and even his sound has gotten harder as well as tiesto...but other than that pvd has died down a bit, im still a fan but havent been impressed with the set of his over thanksgiving, hes always been kind of always laid back but it still looks like he hasnt been progressing, as for satoshie tomiie i have seen deeper and darker as well as alot of djs, like max graham, dave seaman with pappa and gilbey tracks, djs like dave aude and tall paul have impressed me and i used to not listen to them..well hows that for a chynado speaking hehe

cd

i agree but however..as technology builds and has built through the years...new sounds and new levels and progression of this music has really changed how the genres are looked at now..for instance, i dont think there are really progressive beats anymore..its alot of gray area tracks, meaning, there are tracks that have a trancey feel and then go off into breaks, or into a techy style...i think electronica has gotten harder and darker...in house or trance...but can it go any harder or darker than it has?? will it go back to flighty and fairy like sounds after this?? george used to play epic and more cheesy stuff and even his sound has gotten harder as well as tiesto...but other than that pvd has died down a bit, im still a fan but havent been impressed with the set of his over thanksgiving, hes always been kind of always laid back but it still looks like he hasnt been progressing, as for satoshie tomiie i have seen deeper and darker as well as alot of djs, like max graham, dave seaman with pappa and gilbey tracks, djs like dave aude and tall paul have impressed me and i used to not listen to them..well hows that for a chynado speaking hehe

cd

You're right. The sound has definitely gotten darker and deeper and harder. I.e. more intelligent, I would say. As listeners become more and more educated, they don't go for the fluffier sounds. The cheese. The in your face drumrolls. The huge breakdowns. Sure, those are cool at first, but it gets old after a while. So the music fan needs a different sound. The deep, hit me in the heart sound of the rolling bassline. The hard, bouncey techy sounds. The funky tribal beats. The space age Nu Skool sounds in D&B or Nu Skool Breaks. It's all just a result of listeners wanting more.

So Vic is right, in the end, it's the fans that eventually take the music a certain direction. But there are lots of factors involved when you're dealing with a mass population of people. Social factors, economic factors definitely play a role. At least in pop music. Look at the cheese of the 80's. Look at the melancholy grunge of the early 90's. Look at the boy bands of the late 90's. Maybe not so much in the underground scene, but I think it definitely effects it in some way. Dunno. But whatever the case, music will always be there for all to enjoy. And the music will always be a reflection of what the fans want to hear. Cause if there's no one to listen to it, then why produce it, right? So who knows which direction music will go? But whichever way it goes, I think we can all be sure that it'll be an accurate reflection of the overall mood of the music listening population.

You're right. The sound has definitely gotten darker and deeper and harder. I.e. more intelligent, I would say. As listeners become more and more educated, they don't go for the fluffier sounds. The cheese. The in your face drumrolls. The huge breakdowns. Sure, those are cool at first, but it gets old after a while. So the music fan needs a different sound. The deep, hit me in the heart sound of the rolling bassline. The hard, bouncey techy sounds. The funky tribal beats. The space age Nu Skool sounds in D&B or Nu Skool Breaks. It's all just a result of listeners wanting more.

So Vic is right, in the end, it's the fans that eventually take the music a certain direction. But there are lots of factors involved when you're dealing with a mass population of people. Social factors, economic factors definitely play a role. As well as listeners just plain getting tired of the same ol' same ol' and wanting more. At least in pop music. Look at the cheese of the 80's. Look at the melancholy grunge of the early 90's. Look at the boy bands of the late 90's. Not sure how much effect social and economic situations have in the underground scene, but I think it definitely effects it in some way. Dunno. There's always this X-factor in the underground scene with staying underground and not going commercial, so that always seems to be a grounding force when the direction seems to be going a bit towards the cheesy side. But whatever the case, music will always be there for all to enjoy. And the music will always be a reflection of what the fans want to hear. Cause if there's no one to listen to it, then why produce it, right? So who knows which direction music will go? But whichever way it goes, I think we can all be sure that it'll be an accurate reflection of what the population of fans want out of it.

along these lines, i would agree with the both of you that the sound has gotten more darker, deeper, tribal, but maybe the following would be better addressed in another thread, or is omething we have already discussed in past threads...with so much music out there...techno, trance, house, progressive, etc we are obviously seeing how the different genres are being mixed together and resulting in a new hybrid of music....however, I have also recently started to notice that a lot of dj's tend to play the same stuff over and over, even though there is alot of material out there....

music aside, what other thiings can dj's and producers do to, if they put on the same track week in and week out, make sound different to the crowd....i swear i've heard "Smoke Machine" 3 weeks in a row...why do they keep playing again and again? and the first half of medways set last friday was basicaly the same stuff i had listened to with saeed and palashand deep dish...wtf?

I was too lazy to read all the text for the other posts, but I think it is all in cycles - like if you really listen to some songs (and are old enough to remember the original versions) some of the stuff is spruced up 70's music...

I think what is really going to make a big difference is xms radio (is that what it is called) and all the other cool net music that will (hopefully) save us from the wretched radio stations we have around here....spreading new music generates the basis for newer music....

Does any of that make sense...man, I need a beer! Is it 5 yet???

well said but the era is the era of Britney Spears, whatever you wanna call that in the pop culture that is, i wonder if undreground will become mainstream one day..that you could listen to it on your radio as you would in the UK?? who knows??

cd

Oops. Double post. Second one is correct. Added some stuff from the first one that I thought of after the fact.

OK, so if that's your question, then my answer is no, I don't think electronica will ever get completely into the mainstream in the US. The reason being the mainstream in the US is very commercially oriented. They need cool outfits or pretty faces to attach to the music. Little girls love N-Sync not just because of the music (which blows), but because they think that JT is so cute. Nobody knows what the fuck half these producers look like. And the DJ's that spin the music don't own the music, they just spin it. So no, it will be very difficult to break open in the US. That is, unless a big chunk of the mainstream population start going to clubs religiously. THEN it'll happen. But the US is a lot bigger and more spread out in the UK. So the odds of that are quite unlikely. Some dude living in Montana can't go to a club. But he sure as hell can turn on MTV and see the new Filter video and dig that music and buy the CD.

Originally posted by vicman

however, I have also recently started to notice that a lot of dj's tend to play the same stuff over and over, even though there is alot of material out there....

why do they keep playing again and again?

i think maybe this music has gone as far as it can go and there are a slower production of songs that may attract crowds...rapture to me is a song that is played out..like i said this the time where we need an revoultion or an evolution of new music..something sick and insane that makes the crowd go nuts!! im sure it will come sooner than we think..plus the economy is at a low which affects entertainment as well right now..im sure we are about to get slammed with alot of new material and tracks come March with the WMC..as well as new artists and producers..

cd

Originally posted by vicman

music aside, what other thiings can dj's and producers do to, if they put on the same track week in and week out, make sound different to the crowd....i swear i've heard "Smoke Machine" 3 weeks in a row...why do they keep playing again and again? and the first half of medways set last friday was basicaly the same stuff i had listened to with saeed and palashand deep dish...wtf?

I personally don't care if I hear the same tracks over and over, because each DJ is different in how they mix. More than the tracks, I love listening to how the DJ's layer the sounds together and make their own sound.

Originally posted by shadygroovedc

OK, so if that's your question, then my answer is no, I don't think electronica will ever get completely into the mainstream in the US. The reason being the mainstream in the US is very commercially oriented. They need cool outfits or pretty faces to attach to the music. Little girls love N-Sync not just because of the music (which blows), but because they think that JT is so cute. Nobody knows what the fuck half these producers look like. And the DJ's that spin the music don't own the music, they just spin it. So no, it will be very difficult to break open in the US. That is, unless a big chunk of the mainstream population start going to clubs religiously. THEN it'll happen. But the US is a lot bigger and more spread out in the UK. So the odds of that are quite unlikely. Some dude living in Montana can't go to a club. But he sure as hell can turn on MTV and see the new Filter video and dig that music and buy the CD.

thats true but havent u seen people..and maybe these are bad examples...alice deejay hit it big for a second and amber..also paul oakie ( i know i had to say grr) lol...i think they have sort of broke the barriers between the two..when the hell did u ever see MTV with a dj like oakenfold or a movie soundtrack that was by someone that i guess used to be underground?? so im excited that people are becoming more educated and familiar you could say with this type of music...and its not looked at as ewww i hate those un cha ku songs lol...u know what i mean?? but nevertheless, i agree that it will prolly wont become that mainstream, i think thats the beauty of it over here in America..so it wont ever really get played out as you could say and you will only hear the same songs played in a club rather a radio station as well...talk about PLAYED out..

cd

Originally posted by sillyrabbit

spreading new music generates the basis for newer music....

Does any of that make sense...man, I need a beer! Is it 5 yet???

and this is what i mean, in addition to shady's coment to the guy in montana..the guy in montana could, if he is interested enough, log on to the web and download stuff, much like shady spends all his time at work doing and then he could get into th emusic and eventually become a dj himslef.....

and not only in the US...I mean I've seen som eof the dj's going down to Mexico (albeit Mexico City) but 5 years ago it was totally unheard of...the thing is were just at the tip of the ice berg....in the UK, the first main stream radio station ( I think it was MoS sponsored) just opened shop on the FM dial there...something you wouldnt have exoected a few years back....

i need some vodka....

I think it's already gone mainstream and it's time for the next underground to start....have you listened some of the commercials lately? It all started w/ Moby selling out his tunes to get some play...now every thing has electronic background music....

it's all just bluring into one big cheesy genre....for example, they are playing Backstreet or Nsnych (I get them confused) on both 95.5 and 93.9....and now I have no respect for either radio station....when did white boys get black air play???

i think maybe this music has gone as far as it can go and there are a slower production of songs that may attract crowds...rapture to me is a song that is played out..like i said this the time where we need an revoultion or an evolution of new music..something sick and insane that makes the crowd go nuts!! im sure it will come sooner than we think..plus the economy is at a low which affects entertainment as well right now..im sure we are about to get slammed with alot of new material and tracks come March with the WMC..as well as new artists and producers..

cd

I think that's the beauty of electronic DJ music. Let's face it. Tracks that absolutely floor you are few and far between. There are definitely a lot of cool tracks, but songs like Rapture that just absolutely make you wanna fall on your knees and cry like a little school girl don't come around too often. But what's really special is that you don't really need those kind of tracks. Every once in a while, you get one of those tracks and sure, the crowd jumps up and down. But I'm more routinely floored at Buzz by a really tight mix. When the DJ achieves that perfect blend of sounds. The perfectly matched keys. The perfect EQ adjustment. The perfect fade out. You know, like you'd experience in listening to any one of MY sets. ;)

Originally posted by sillyrabbit

it's all just bluring into one big cheesy genre....for example, they are playing Backstreet or Nsnych (I get them confused) on both 95.5 and 93.9....and now I have no respect for either radio station....when did white boys get black air play???

girl this would be a whole nother thread..but seriously this isnt a new thing..you had the pop culture introduce boy bands like new kids on the block they were managed by a black guy also you have the beastie boys managed by russell simmons..thats where the push for play on black radio stations and that whole image gets their attention from..

cd

Now don't get me wrong, I am all about crossing lines (cuz there is a little black girl deep inside this albino rabbit body)....but I was blown away to hear that crap on those stations...which brings me again to the question, why can't we start our own damn radio station?????

Hmm...interesting question. I think the music has gotten deeper, darker and harder, and in that way has evolved. Music (electronica) will never completely die out, just evolve more and more. Especially, since now we have technology to help us create new sounds that would have been impossible by a human being, I think there will be more and more creative and intelligent use of computers to produce music.

With regards to trancey and fluffy vs hard and dark, I think that will just cycle back and forth. After a few years, the mass is going to get tired of the dark and hard, and will start leaning toward the other end of the spectrum, or a combination of both.

Originally posted by shadygroovedc

All the frequencies are tightly controlled. You could start an internet radio station, or a pirate station, but starting a real one may be a tad bit difficult.

Even with an internet station there's still questions of royalty payments with airplay/netplay (unless you wrote/made your own music only, I guess). I think this is an area still being fought over with the record companies, radio stations and net stations.

Originally posted by scratchapella

hi all, ok this thread is hella interesting and i have SO much to say about this. . . but i should be studying for a final right now. . . SO DON'T let this thread go to raunchy shit (yeh, esp. you shady). . . keep talking. . .:D

Hehe. I love it when you say "hella". brow.gif