Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Nassau County question

I'll be looking in Nassau County as a possible place to live sometime this year. My question is how accessible is midtown manhattan from nassau county by LIRR or car. I'd probably be looking at western nassau county just to be as close to the city as possible. So, are we talking about an hour and a half commute or what? And is real estate very expensive there? Can you get a decent, relatively spacious home between $200k-$300k? For the same amount, it seems like you're lucky if you get 500 square feet in Manhattan. Thanks in advance.

I live in western nassau county ...right by the queens border...if i tke the LIRR i can be in Penn Station in 35 min. ...trains run all the time and there are so many stations so you are always in luck...houses i dont know about...but LIRR is definately a good thing...if it wasnt there would be so much traffic

Nassau County is a great place to live. I live in Freeport, land of Fishing, boats, culture mix, and a little danger.

I usually take the Lirr into the city, which is pretty punctual. On the weekends i drive in (avoid driving to the city during the week:eek:

Takes about 45 min by train, 35 by car. You can find some affordable homes in that price range near me, or Baldwin, Oceanside, which are all within 40 min. of the city.

My mother's a real estate broker for Sailing Home Realty. PM me if you want more info

~GMc

It's accesable...I live in Great Neck. But....housing prices are WAY over inflated. 200k buys a 1 bedroom prewar co op in this town. Trust me, I've been looking to buy for a while.

Also, real estate taxes are the highest in the entire country! Might as well live in Manhattan.

Originally posted by q-ny

It's accesable...I live in Great Neck. But....housing prices are WAY over inflated. 200k buys a 1 bedroom prewar co op in this town. Trust me, I've been looking to buy for a while.

Also, real estate taxes are the highest in the entire country! Might as well live in Manhattan.

I agree, prices are steep. But interest rates are at their lowest, so it's a great time to buy through a mortgage.

I work at a law firm specializing in Real estate. come over some day :)

Originally posted by gmccookny

I agree, prices are steep. But interest rates are at their lowest, so it's a great time to buy through a mortgage.

I work at a law firm specializing in Real estate. come over some day :)

I totally agree, this is a great time to buy property. I used to lived in western nassau county, and in some areas you can find a very roomy home for under 300 grand.

1]

Nassau county is in a lot of debt.. they are going to raise taxes a lot this year...

2]

some towns in nassau also have much higher county taxes... so the total cost of a $300k in massapequa compared to a $300k house in roslyn will probably end up being a lot different

By the way...

You picked THE best time to buy

All of my friends in real estate have been telling me that between feb and april of this year is going to be the best window to buy a house on LI.

There also have been a lot of articles in The Times about the decreasing costs of renting an appartment in Manhatten. If I remember it right .. prices now.. fell to what they were ten years ago.

No matter which way you look at it.. everything is more affordable.

Good Luck!!!!