Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Can I sample the PHAT bassline of "Rapper's Delight"?

I'm in the process of using this new music creator "Tuareg" by Bram boss, and REALLY want to use the bassline of Sugar Hill Gang in Rapper's Delight in my mix

You all know it ... But what are the laws behind sampling?/? i mean, i doubt it will be heard by viacom or Atlantic records, but i might release it on the web.

HEEEEEELLLLLLLLPPPPPP ME :grin:

Originally posted by gmccookny

I'm in the process of using this new music creator "Tuareg" by Bram boss, and REALLY want to use the bassline of Sugar Hill Gang in Rapper's Delight in my mix

You all know it ... But what are the laws behind sampling?/? i mean, i doubt it will be heard by viacom or Atlantic records, but i might release it on the web.

HEEEEEELLLLLLLLPPPPPP ME :grin:

Just sample it!

Originally posted by ADV

Just sample it!

I WILL sample it, i just don't want to copy it to the point where people are like "that's from Rapper's Delight"

I'm sure it'll be ok,...im in the process of cutting the vocals out now as we speak--it should be SLICK~

:cool:

Originally posted by cotoncandydream

Contact the licensing dept at the Label that put it out. They will probably send you to ASCAP OR BMI. You need at least to notify them if not get permission to use it if you are going to sell or distribute the song. go to www.ascap.com or www.bmi.com there is a whole bunch of info on there about the process.

:D

Hey THankx, CottonCandyDream:D

i'm using the BMI site now,,, what a good website! Has just the information i need. ;)

my two cents...

who the F*** HASN'T sampled that bassline by now?!

anyways...

i wouldn't worry unless you get enough exposure/popularity that the label themselves notices and contacts with with a warning to either pull it from wherever it's available or to actually arrange a licensing agreement...

this is basically how the beastie boys and fatboy slim handle things... they use it, and wait for people to ask questions later... the beasties are a little nicer about it in that they list everything either on their own websites and/or on the album itself... norman cook doesn't really care :half: .... a lot of times if the source is obscure enough it gets swept under the rug.

Originally posted by thehacker

this is basically how the beastie boys and fatboy slim handle things... they use it, and wait for people to ask questions later... .

ehhhhhh not really with FatBoy....his second album the first track (I believe) uses a sample from some Joe Walsh thing....WHO?? most will ask....exactly...Well Joe wanted 100% royalties....argue argue argue argue...Joe wouldnt give in (guess he needed money for the old folks shelter) anyways...Fatboy gave up the pursuit and gave him full rights cause (parahrasing) "The track was so good and that was such a main ingredient to it I still wanted to release it" so Homeboy doesnt make any $$ on it.

When it comes to the big leagues, you cant *wait* for them to ask questions later, you can use it, present it, and then hopefully they'll let you have it.

----------

As for basslines, if you need to sample one, I know a real good Vanilla Ice track you can use :D

- Pete

:shades2: