Clubplanet Nightlife Community

a beef thread: read and learn a little

I'm just so urked when reading over and over about how people hate when KTU or any other station (or commercialization for that matter) "plays out" a song/track.

Believe it or not, this drives the economy of music.

When a song becomes popular, more people want to hear it. the job of radio stations is to play songs people want to hear (and insert commericals to cover operations).

An example: Derb. Yes it was played over a year ago constantly at Exit. It became a favorite, and copies of the record were sold. Probably so good that they issued more copies, then it was being distributed by promotional agencies ( I got a free copy this past July informing me that it has radio potential). And sure enough within a month the radio started playing it, and in heavy rotation (which for an instrumental is dam good). Now I have non-club going people who go to family functions asking me to play "Derb -the song w/o words" at events. Thus a new population is (hopefully) buying the song (and at this time it would most likely be on a CD as a solo or as part of a compilation).

How does that translate for the producers? Simple, you have a hit song and exec's will finance or more likley "pick up" your next release, and promote it (because in their non club going / only business like minds) they have a product that people like (or at least associate) with a familiar brand name.

So in the end... If it was YOUR track getting played to death, its a DAM good thing.

True, however it is important to distinguish the unfortunate trend that is becoming of electronic music nowadays...........commercial/radio/freestyle and everything else.

yeah some music is popular and it helps out the producer, but most producers aren't producing for the sole purpose of trying to make it to #1 on KTU radio airplay and Louie DeVito's next embarassment.......I mean NYC Underground Party disk, they are producing music to produce good music that music lovers can enjoy.

Now when a song is really good and new, such as the Derb or Sandstorm track, and it gets played out and becomes commercial, the feeling of using it and listening to it withers because you've heard it mixed in over and over again on the radio with Janet Jackson and venga boys tracks.

I'd rather hear the track being played to death in clubs instead of hearing it in the car ride over on the radio.

Originally posted by djjonstephen

...Louie DeVito's next embarassment.......I mean NYC Underground Party disk...

What we have there is simple marketing to a mass audience. As much as I dont like LD (ever see him on "Elimidate"?) and I hate even worse how bad he cut up the songs (to fit more on the CD) I will give credit where it is due:

Basically he took selected "hot" club tracks with radio potential, mixed them together in a radio format and marketed it to a mass audience.

From a business standpoint, he did an excelent job. (and money DOES make the world go 'round)

Originally posted by apotheosis

What we have there is simple marketing to a mass audience. As much as I dont like LD (ever see him on "Elimidate"?) and I hate even worse how bad he cut up the songs (to fit more on the CD) I will give credit where it is due:

Basically he took selected "hot" club tracks with radio potential, mixed them together in a radio format and marketed it to a mass audience.

From a business standpoint, he did an excelent job. (and money DOES make the world go 'round)

Yeah, but he still sucks a fat one as a dj and doesn't deserve the attention that he is getting.

Originally posted by djjonstephen

Yeah, but he still sucks a fat one as a dj and doesn't deserve the attention that he is getting.

. . I agree , Louie Devito is NOT what I call a DJ. . . but he IS a marketing pro . . think about it for a sec . . If you had the oportunity to go into the studio, take 15 (or whatever number) of poppy-type tracks , upload them to the computer then splice em and get paid ridiculus amounts of money, wouldn't you?

. . . even though I'm a musical elitist . . I prolly would take the money and run . . . Now, putting my own name on it is a completely different story . . That's why we have DJ names . .

. . damn that whole money thing . .

but i dont think there is always such a distinction between a good DJ and a popular DJ. i.e. Sasha and Digweed. the two are some of he highest paid and most popular DJs in the world, yet i think they are still amazing DJs and never fail to amaze me when i see them live

btw, anyone think the two have fallen off since reaching the spotlight in such a big way? i dont think their more recent sets are up tp par with their stuff from the earlier Twilo days.

errr... i think i;ve contradicted my own point right there, but anyway. DT, Sasha, and Diggers are all great DJs who have also made it big time and made a ton of $$$ getting there. So, you dont have to "Sell out" and mutilate music to make it big in this game

Originally posted by breakbeatz2

but i dont think there is always such a distinction between a good DJ and a popular DJ. i.e. Sasha and Digweed. the two are some of he highest paid and most popular DJs in the world, yet i think they are still amazing DJs and never fail to amaze me when i see them live

btw, anyone think the two have fallen off since reaching the spotlight in such a big way? i dont think their more recent sets are up tp par with their stuff from the earlier Twilo days.

errr... i think i;ve contradicted my own point right there, but anyway. DT, Sasha, and Diggers are all great DJs who have also made it big time and made a ton of $$$ getting there. So, you dont have to "Sell out" and mutilate music to make it big in this game

dima...ti ne prav. Lucien Foort is the best. He's the best DJ who has yet to hit the US scene.

Originally posted by breakbeatz2

Lucien Foort is dope but he isnt as popular as some DJs

and actually, i tihnk he could use some work. i have some of his sets, and i tihnk he needs to hone his mixing skills a bit

yes...but the guy has about 20 years of music/conservatory schooling under his belt...so he'll get it in no time.

by the way..tell me what you think of this track...it's mine.

called Funk Defined

http://play.mp3.com/cgi-bin/play/play.cgi/AAIBQoZiGgDABG5vcm1QBAAAAFJxpwIAUQEAAABDlO41PPE3z1omXJdMHBqSslZEtM4-/Funk_Defined.m3u

Businesswise....what people like Louie DeVito and stations like KTU are doing are great.

However, keep in mind this is two aspects of a said track that we're talking about.

Take "Sandstorm" for instance. A great hard trance track, for sure. When I first got the 45 sample from my mailing list a good two years ago, it was great. A nice driving acidic trance track for the dancefloor. Woohoo....

Then what happened? Over in the UK, in Europe, the crowd loved it, the DJs loved it....it got big....great, people are listening to it (grammar alert!).

Then it came over to the US.....

First it was LIR, then it was KTU....the horror that is Z100 got dragged into it soon later.....

Then I heard it over the PA at a Yankees game.

Music has a purpose. It fits a mood, or it tunes you into one that you weren't in before. When it's chill, Thievery Corporation gets top billing in my CD player. And when the midnight tension sets in when i'm walking down a lone city street, the techstep DnB takes the reins in my ears.

Radio and commercial culture doesn't care about that...it's about the push...the shove....the exposure.

People don't hate a track just because it's being overplayed. It's because of what the overplaying does to the track and people who end up enjoying it as a momentary fix and then moving onto the next big thing........

It's great that the artist got paid. But to those of us who are fans and loved it, rich artists does not equal good music.

I'm happy for senor Darude. He's rich off of that damn track, I'm sure. But anyone who plays Sandstorm again will be playing it or the LAST time if I've anything to say about it.....

Business does drive the economy around, for sure. But I'm someone who's sitting with a leg on both sides of the scene/commercial fence, and I know the difference between good musical enjoyment and commercial success.

Good business? Damn straight.

Good music? :blown:

oh yeah, Derb sucks balls.....

but that's just MY opinion...:D