Clubplanet Nightlife Community
Sign in to follow this  
dcsglow

Any WOPS on CP besides Jroo and myself?

Originally posted by ellywelly

Pardon for my ignorance but..... WHAT THE FUCK IS WOPS????

WOP:

NOUN: Offensive Slang Used as a disparaging term for a person of Italian birth or descent.

ETYMOLOGY: Italian dialectal guappo, thug, from Spanish guapo, handsome, dashing, braggart, bully, from French dialectal wape, rogue, from Latin vappa, flat wine, scoundrel.

The "traditional" story is that during the period of high Italian immigration to the US, those without immigration papers were labeled "WOP, " or WithOut Papers.

You'd think one of the Italians could've answered this...

Originally posted by crank47

WOP:

NOUN: Offensive Slang Used as a disparaging term for a person of Italian birth or descent.

ETYMOLOGY: Italian dialectal guappo, thug, from Spanish guapo, handsome, dashing, braggart, bully, from French dialectal wape, rogue, from Latin vappa, flat wine, scoundrel.

The "traditional" story is that during the period of high Italian immigration to the US, those without immigration papers were labeled "WOP, " or WithOut Papers.

THANKS CRANK!! :D

Originally posted by crank47

WOP:

I guess that I would be a WOP, 'cos part of my ancestry is Soanish and I'm guapo, plus I got no documents, so I fit the WOP descrption perfectly :D