Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Long term effects of E

conchman

People keep telling me to stop doing E because I will end up in the psycho ward or with major long term damage. I have now been doing about 5 pills per week for about 3 years with no apparent damage. Does anybody know of any solid evidence about damage from long term use of E?

Source: American Chemical Society (http://www.acs.org/)

Date: Posted 8/16/2001

Ecstasy Component May Help Researchers Measure Brain Damage From The Drug

Researchers in Spain have isolated for the first time a by-product of the illicit drug Ecstasy that is believed to cause some of the brain damage associated with the drug. They believe their finding will help them measure, with greater precision, the long-term neurotoxicity of Ecstasy in human users.

The report will be published in the September issue of Chemical Research in Toxicology, a peer-reviewed journal of the American Chemical Society, the world’s largest scientific society.

The findings may corroborate speculation that HHMA (3,4 dihydroxymethamphetamine), is at least partially responsible for Ecstasy’s harm to the human brain, according to lead researcher Rafael de la Torre, D.Pharm., of the Municipal Institute of Medical Research in Barcelona. Previous study had linked HHMA to many of Ecstasy’s known side effects, but until now researchers had not been able to accurately measure the amounts of HHMA in users.

HHMA is created when Ecstasy (known chemically as MDMA, or 3,4- methylenedioxymethamphetamine) is metabolized through the liver. Animal studies have shown Ecstasy to damage the brain’s thought and memory function, but research has indicated that such side effects don’t develop until the drug is metabolized. Accurately measuring the amount and concentration of HHMA in a person’s body can provide new insight into the drug’s effects, including how it is metabolized, and possibly determine its long-term effects, de la Torre said. HHMA does not occur naturally in the body and thus would not be found in a non-user of Ecstasy, he noted.

“This observation concerns not only Ecstasy’s acute effects, but more interestingly, its mid- and long-term neurotoxicity,” de la Torre said. “The detection of HHMA was hampered up to now by problems measuring it in humans, which we have solved.”

The research represents the first validated method for measuring HHMA in body fluids, according to de la Torre. It involved four men who each volunteered to take a 100-milligram dose of Ecstasy and submit blood and urine samples regularly for the following 24 hours. All were described as regular users of the drug. The researchers found nearly identical concentrations of HHMA and MDMA in the samples, establishing HHMA as a likely contributor to conditions associated with Ecstasy use, de la Torre said.

In widespread use since the 1980s, Ecstasy is a stimulant with effects similar to the short-term euphoria and increased alertness claimed by cocaine users, according to the National Institute on Drug Abuse. It is considered dangerous, however, since it has been shown to damage nerve cells in the brain critical for thought and memory, NIDA reports. Other experiments show that people who take MDMA score lower on memory tests and that animals have persistent effects from the drug six to seven years after exposure.

5 pills!!! shit.

i used to do 1 pill every w/e....and now i stopped everything.

i didn't like having NO memory. the simpliest things would just slip my mind.

i dont regret anything...cause i DID have a great time w/e...but gets old after a while.

its definetly your life...but 5 pills...damn.

and even thouhg u say u haven't seen any effects: its not like an ear is goig to fall off....you're just slower & really no one knows what e does to u in the long run.

take care of urself...cause no one else will.

5 a week? I did anywhere from 10-25 a weekend for many many years..almost 10... Its cheap when you know the connect or you are personally responsible for supply...so to speak :) I noticed when i was doin it alot my memory and moods were unpredictable...now that i havent rolled in almost a year i would say my memory has gotten better but my moods are still weird...each person reacts different to shit and like someone else said u have no idea whats in the shit now a days anyhow...

i used to roll on 10 pills every weekend but i have stopped little by little....extasy def does give you a great feeling, a tremendous high, and an awesome expierience, but my life is more important. i have noticed how much that little pill has fawked up my brain...sometimes, after tripping, i would notice how i felt like my blood pressure would drop and i would get kind of dizzy...it was scary...or i would notice how i would tell my friends the same thing three times in two hours...i remember one time i had a stash of five pills in my house. i bought it around nine o'clock..by 12 i was about to take em and they were no longer there...till this day i dont know what happened to them? if i tool them or not?? i couldnt remember...play it safe man...be careful..life is too precious...

peace,

the don

iv bin dooing e fur 20 yearz anf thier iz nthng wong with mE!! hehe seriously no one really knows the long term effects cause it just hasnt been around that long. The people who you see catscans on TV and have holes in their head did EVERY drug know to man. That said E will probably fry your axons after awhile leading to various problems (chronic depression, mem lose, ect.). After i started taking 2 a night and not feeling anything i figured its time to give it up. 5 a night? Is it really that much fun at that point?

Originally posted by Raman

iv bin dooing e fur 20 yearz anf thier iz nthng wong with mE!! hehe seriously no one really knows the long term effects cause it just hasnt been around that long. The people who you see catscans on TV and have holes in their head did EVERY drug know to man. That said E will probably fry your axons after awhile leading to various problems (chronic depression, mem lose, ect.). After i started taking 2 a night and not feeling anything i figured its time to give it up. 5 a night? Is it really that much fun at that point?

five a night is an awesome trip but you will be feeling the pain the next day!!!

take vitamin b-100 on a regular basis if you want to combat the effects e has had on your memory. b-50 has a smaller percentage of all the b vitamins, but you'll want megadoses. this actually works. in nutrition classes, you will learn that it is something many people practice, but has not been studied because it is not practical to spend funds on the research of something you cannot patent, such as a vitamin. however, i am currently taking b-100 on a regular basis and have found that it affects both my memory and mood, and for my fellow chicas, it also has additional benefits with concern to hormone balance, pms, and folate (also a b vitamin) helps prevent certain birth defects if taken prior to pregnancy (and during) by women who might bear a child within a decade. statistically, this is the largest prevention method clinically proven in medicine to date, thus the federal government mandated that folate be put into things such as bread, because the statistics were so overwhelming, the demand for enriched food products was at an all time high, especially prudent for low income families. sorry to get off on a tangent, just wanted to further my argument. seriously, try it for 2 weeks, and if you dont feel at least more mentally sound, you can come back on the forum and give me a smiley FU. LOL

You can not escape the longterm effect from Extasy.

thanks fluid, but if you scroll up, you will notice that i never said you could. in fact, all i said was that it would help with memory and such. he he he, b-100 is in fact a very good one. you should try it sometime. oh, and how many studies exactly are there on the longterm effects of extacy? cause i know mdma has been around for a while, but i only know of studies done on effects now, not longterm, because i wasnt aware that there was that much data.

this is what I read in a NEW YORK TIMES ARTICLE i forgot where it was posted.. might have been erowid or similar site. This is the brief summary:

Doctors calculated the amount of e that a rat has to take in order for it to be proportional to the human effect of 1 pill. This was 1/8 of a pill for the rat. So these doctors took rats and gave them 1/8 of a pill EVERY DAY for 3 years. (Remember 1/8 pill to rat = 1 to human). ONLY in 3 years did they find that the rat started having memory loss. Now lets do the math. 1 x 8 x 3 = 24 years. if you are bright enough to pop a pill every day for 3 years then u deserve to have brain damage. I also read on dancesafe that all the xtc specials on nbc and such are BS. When they show you holes in the brain its just the xray machine set to a frequency that it is just the xray of the cranium and has nothing to do with xtc at all. All those pix show are diff chemicals working in the brain. All I'm saying is read ur facts from reliable sources and don't trust people's sayings like "There's heroin and coke in e" or "E makes your back crooked and gives u pain." Party safe and do cut down on the 5 pills a week... I had to learn the hard way. It just stopped hitting me and I may never get that special feeling again. I hope this informed at least 1 person cause if it did thats 1 more educated person

:)

:idea:

the cool thing about e is that if you stop for a while, a good while for those of us who need it, you can roll again. never like the first time, but it is possible. i was doing way too much, and then i stopped and was astonished at the fact that i was able to roll again. i dont believe much of the hype myself., cause it is way too early for doctors to make any credible assumptions when the abuse of e as we know it now is so recent that substantial studies havent and couldnt have been conducted. ya hear?:tongue:

only effect i've noticed from my e use is a little bit of memory loss which i have a feeling will come back to me now that i've stopped. and the depression for the next day or 2. also, in the couple days after taking e, i'd sometimes get a little cold. but im not sure if that's just from the e, or the e, other drugs, and lack of sleep for couple days all together.

so i guess...e is A-OK. :) just have to take a break for couple months when you dont roll so well anymore like im trying to do.