Clubplanet Nightlife Community

wow...philly comin' up finally!

bryansmith

Yo I've been looking through this message board and I'm extra pleased to see so many big names coming to philly finally......carl, kimball, deep dish, etc. ..........hopefully this continues. But it still bugs me that it took this long for the 5th most populated city in the nation to bring in some big name DJs. I'm from Philly, right now I'm in LA goin' to USC, and as one would expect, theres a lot of big names rolling through here all the time.....I'd like to see that kidna thing happen for Philly. I'm wondering if anyone knows why we have absolutely no dance scene going on in our city. Not enough exposure? Shitty clubs? Personally I've gotten sick and tired of fucking Shampoo and the like who seem to rely on the same hard house bullshit tracks every night, theyve had real DJs at evolution before like ralph and sandra, but im under 21 so that shit didnt workout.....whatever im ranting on here, does anyone have any insight into this or ideas on how to expand the scene in philly? we're smack dab in between DC and NYC, cant we pull in DT and Deep Dish more often (or at all in DT's case)?

also, i notice a lot of anti-trance from the house people and vice versa.....that sucks people, i like both....both are beautiful ass music.......thats all i got, peace

Damn... you went far enough away from Philly for college! Well... I can't really complain, I'm in Copenhagen, Denmark for the semester. Funny scene they have here, but that's for another post.

If you want some more info. on the philly scene go to http://www.*****.com - lots of good people over there.

I think Philly is haunted by the fact that it is so close to other major cities (New York City and Washington, DC). Most people will just roll up to NYC for the night for an event, so there is really no need to duplicate the event in Philly.

Philly's biggest problem is the enforced-2AM closing times, that has been killing the Philly nightlife scene for years. Someone go knock on Mayor Street's door and get that changed.

the big reason is the time that the dj s are coming into the area the bigger club s in ny and dc will snacth up the djs (book them ) at the venues and make it more expensive for club in philly to booked them ,

all though me and my crew have been booking these djs for years now it is still a up hill battle

to compete against the big clubs but we are still building our crowd the 21 and older crowd that is into the big dj and acts . but the cool thing in the philadelphia area is that we have thrown the biggest dance music events the north east corridor has seen "WHISTLE 2, AND 3 " WE ARE GETTING READY FOR WHISTLE 4" AS WE SPEAK COMING THIS SUMMER

but don t worry for the under 21 you can go to motion and chrome for the big djs but for the over 21 crowd you can check out faith fridays at evolution with michael myers and a bunch of other djs coming into town .so hang in there philadelphia area people .and surronding parts late ARISTOTLE www.local13.com

here's my views -

philly people are from philly. it's not an international city with cultural influences from dance savy regions, a la europe, asia, south america, etc. they do what they know, and as a result, you get delaware avenue. same game, different name, regurgitated time and time again. the club owners do not promote their club nights with an eye towards the music. they promote "hey! we're open till 6am, more time to do your drugs". they promote "hey, fashion show and deborah cox performing her hit "How Am I Still Performing, Thank God Shampoo Is Still Around". they promote drag shows and rediculous themes a la "pimps and hos". never, is emphasis ever placed on the vibe or the music. check out the quality dance venues in the area that pull in the quality talent, and you'll see loads of promotion placed on the deck talent. centro-fly, vinyl, nation, avalon get the proper talent and as a result, get the most kudos. various nights are dedicated to house, techno, dnb, 2-step, prog, etc. in philly you get stale local djs who play the same sets week in and week out, thrown in with nyc rejects, a la eddie baez.

props go out to fluid and the smaller lounges where the real talent lies. maybe someday the larger club owners will catch wind of how to do it properly.

oh yeah, and the 2am law isn't helping.

with all the said, i see some promise coming forth with reflective, *****, and the like.

aristotle, good luck with whistle 4. i'm not really into the rave scene, but keep an eye towards the music and clean up the e puddles.

peace

sin