Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Anyone here who works in FINANCE -- please read!

(By the way, this is totally different from dgmodel's post)

Here's the deal:

I am writing a screenplay in which the main character is 21 year old guy who has an entry level job in finance. In order to make my screenplay realistic, I want to find out some first-hand details about that world, seeing as I've never worked in finance.

Anyway, here's what I want to know: like I said, the guy has an entry level job at a big firm, like JP Morgan, Merrill Lynch, Soloman Smith Barney, Goldman Sachs, etc. In other words, a legit firm, and NOT a "Boiler Room" type situation. He has no formal background in finance; in fact he didn't go to college at all: he's just a very savvy, clever, smart guy who's a great bullshitter whose cousin or friend got him an entry level job there. Therefore, he's just a trainee (he hasn't even taken his Series 7 or any other licensing exams yet), probably training to be a broker or an analyst.

That said, I want to know what a typical day would be like for him: what kind of activities, duties & responsibilities he'd have, who he'd be working with and who he'd be supervised by, what he'd get paid, what his hours are like, how quickly he'd be promoted, that kind of stuff. Also, what he'd have to do to get ahead: what exams he'd have to take, if there are any commission quotas or anything like that, or especially if there are any sort of unwritten rules.

So, any personal experiences or anecdotes from anyone who hae ever or currently works in the finance world -- especially as a broker or analyst -- would be very much appreciated!!! Anything you can tell me would be very helpful.

So, if you'd be so kind, please e-mail me any info or stories to me at alexandralmace@juno.com

Thanks everyone!

xoxo

Alexandra