Clubplanet Nightlife Community

I need DJ Help

liquidchaz

Can any DJ's out here give me some beat mixing pointers?

I can do it... match 1st beat of one song with the 1st beat of another song, playing at the same tempo.... but not every time. Every now and then I just can't get the friggin' things right. Can anyone give me some additional help or tricks or anything?

Oh, and BTW, to help me out, I've written down the BPM's of all my songs. Is every 1 BPM +/- .8% on the technics? ie: the difference between 140 BPM and 138 BPM would be -1.6% on the table? Just looking for some help.

I've got a couple college gigs this week, and I do fine when I preplan my set... but I got to get out of that habit. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Chaz

what up bro.....im pretty fucked right now...but i can maybe give u a lil help...ok now 1st of all....for EXACT on point beat matching...the pitch has to be very specific...to the "hundreth of a percent".........now this is easy on cd mixers...def alot tougher on a tech-12......so about ur question....to bring a 138bpm up 2 140bpm...change the pitch 1.45%.....takes sum practice...but once u have the ear 4 it...very easy....and secondly...u can't just randomly drop another beat and mix or else it sounds DUMB....it's all about the 32's....if u listen closely...every 32 beats sumthin happens...just gotta keep ur ears open...this is what i usually do...at the point when the song hits its last drop and starts 2 wind down...go back about 30 seconds....its usually more like 28-29...but ABOUT 30...there will be a drop there and this is where i usually start the 2nd song.....now the song ur mixing in....the part where u wanna just totally drop and bring in by itself...go back ABOUT a minute...prolly around 57 sec tho...there will be a drop there....now u cue it up and drop the beat at the point in the 1st song previously mentioned (30 sec b4 the first song winds down).....then match the beats...and slowly fade it in....and it works perfectly 99% of the time... hope this helps...peace :D

best thing to do if your beginning is stick to mixing the beginning of one song as the elements are building to the ending of the other song as the elements are diminishing....this sounds obvious, but its a lot easier and will sound smoother than mixing into the middle of a song (if youve been doing that)

just feel the beat

BG

very funny dooooooooooooood

i actually have a friend who does something like that.....he will use some of the hiphop mixes that are all over AG, and when they throw in extra samples, he will sit there and tweak knobs on his idle channels to make it look like he is doing stuff :laugh:

BG

Originally posted by liquidchaz

Can any DJ's out here give me some beat mixing pointers?

I can do it... match 1st beat of one song with the 1st beat of another song, playing at the same tempo.... but not every time. Every now and then I just can't get the friggin' things right. Can anyone give me some additional help or tricks or anything?

Oh, and BTW, to help me out, I've written down the BPM's of all my songs. Is every 1 BPM +/- .8% on the technics? ie: the difference between 140 BPM and 138 BPM would be -1.6% on the table? Just looking for some help.

I've got a couple college gigs this week, and I do fine when I preplan my set... but I got to get out of that habit. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Chaz

Honestly, and this isn't mean to sound rude...

the best way to learn is on your own, and not listen to others. if you listen to this person and that person, it may get confusing. you can't look at it as "beat matching" just think of blending a bunch of sounds and elements together to make a "flow" of these elements come together.

if i step up to the decks thinking i have to "beat match", it makes it seem more scary.

honestly, just do your thing brotha. all power to you! :)

Hey im just gonna tell u straight.....by writing down all the bmp's on you records.....bad idea......all u will ever do is rely on that do match ur beats.....its not a good way to learn and i wouldnt recomend it.......dont be so technical with all the stupid numbers and pecentages of pitch all that is too complicated just feel the music and get into it....it will come eventually.....learning this way will make u feel more relaxed when u are droppin beats in.....oh yea and ever track is based on 32 counts.....breaks.....build ups everything.....sometimes when being off on the count you can actually make better things happen but for now get ur matchin technique squared away than work on the rest....good luck...caio