Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Malanee: the next Super Star DJ!

malanee

Originally posted by malanee

First see if you can practice on a friends to make sure you think it is something you really want to do. You can rent a studio w/ 2 turntables, etc. for $20 at Meatrack too, I think.

Then, if you decide to go for it - I would buy top of the line turntables. That way - if it doesn't work out - you can resell them and not lose too much money.

I bought my mixer used and it is fine for my current level. Once I get better - I think I'll get a nicer one and some speakers. Right now I have it all hooked up to my little living room stereo system.

That's my .02!

what your set up, I have nurmark tt-100's with trackmaster II and a gemini PS-626 mixer, and a cheesy ass coffin, and it's running through my stereo as well. I got everything on e-bay for $350 including 15 records and shipping. The only prob was that the lids were cracked. I think it was a pretty good deal and quite happy with my purchase! :D

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the Technic 1200 MD3s - they were about $400 each new(caught an awesome sale at guitar center!). I have a Gemini mixer - can't remember which one - it was $150 used. It has 4 thingees though - so you can hook up turntables and cds if you want to. Headphones are Sony - not the silver ones - they were about $69 I think. I spent another $20-30 on wiring and power strips.

Now, records are a whole other ball game! :)

I have the Technic 1200 MD3s - they were about $400 each new(caught an awesome sale at guitar center!). I have a Gemini mixer - can't remember which one - it was $150 used. It has 4 thingees though - so you can hook up turntables and cds if you want to. Headphones are Sony - not the silver ones - they were about $69 I think. I spent another $20-30 on wiring and power strips.

Now, records are a whole other ball game! :)

oh oh how many???

Originally posted by therunner

oh oh how many???

I think I have about 50 now. Some of them were given to me, though. I'm trying to stop buying so many until I really get this beat matching thing down. It helps to really know your records. Anyway, it is an expensive habit! I know Kuro has spent OODLES of money!

Techs all the way! It's true, no matter what you start with, Techs will be where you end up in a year or two, so you may as well fork over the cash now. And get the 1200 M3D's and not the 1210 MK's, cause the MK's have this annoying "feature" of locking at the zero pitch level, which causes the turntables to be unstable around the zero pitch mark. The 1200 M3D's don't have that problem.

Home stereos are fine to start, but after a while, when your hearing starts to go because you've been spinning so much, you'll need something that can crank the sound much louder. The problem with all home stereos, no matter how good the amp, is that they'll clip and distort the input from the mixer at high volumes. So you'll need a studio amp and monitors if you want to turn it up.

Mixers are probably the the one piece of equipment where you don't necessarily need top of the line. But the one thing you should make sure any mixer you get has are EQ knobs for EACH channel. Also make sure the mixer has two output lines if you want to record.

Headphones are key. I've got the Sony V700DJ's (the silver one's every DJ uses). They're money. I've also got he Sennheiser HD-25's. They're also money. The Sony's run about $125. The Senn's run about $180. Spend the money and get one of these phones cause they're the only one's I've run across that can pump the bass needed in a loud studio or club setting.

Needles are also key. The Stanton 500 & 505's are good to start. But a lot of clubs require you to bring your own needles. And for a club setting, Ortofons or Shure are the only way to go. They're definitely the industry standard. I like the Ortofons cause they come in a nice carrying case. And if you're gonna lug around needles, then the cases come in mighty handy.

Originally posted by shadygroovedc

500 and growing by the second. I've got six crates I bought from the container store. Four are jam packed. And I'm working on the fifth right now.

Just what in God's name do you need 500 records for. You put vinyl siding around the house with that many records.

Half the people that go to clubs don't know what the hell last years tunes are. I know I sure the hell don't.

Yeah, but I'd know. Plus, I like to horde tons and tons of vinyl knowing that some of them I may only put on the platter once in my whole lifetime. Just something nice about having a sea of records to choose from. And also something nice about having enough records to not have to listen to the same two in the course of a week. I just tend to get bored listening to the same stuff over and over. So I always end up buying new tunes every few weeks.

Half the people that go to clubs don't know what the hell last years tunes are. I know I sure the hell don't.

I'm with you on that one! And it makes me kinda sad that songs don't stick around longer - matter of fact.

I'm not above throwing out an oldy but goody, that's for sure! Then again - I'm no music snob! ;)

Yeah, but I'd know. Plus, I like to horde tons and tons of vinyl knowing that some of them I may only put on the platter once in my whole lifetime. Just something nice about having a sea of records to choose from. And also something nice about having enough records to not have to listen to the same two in the course of a week. I just tend to get bored listening to the same stuff over and over. So I always end up buying new tunes every few weeks.

I know after my trip to london in may I will start making weekly or bi-weekly trips to georgetown. And dancerecords.com is now a hot button on my aol tool bar.

Malanee, I'm so glad you enjoyed it!!! Metatracks is such a good thing for our community, I think. I was worried that a DJ studio wouldn't work as a business concept in DC, but it seems like they're booked up a lot!

Juliette IS really great, isn't she? She's such a natural teacher because that's what she did before she opened Metatracks. She was a teacher! :D It's really cool that they get some big names there sometimes too. We're working on getting Emma Feline to do a lesson there sometime later in March. She's totally looking forward to it. If we get a green light on that, I'll put up a post.

I just got decks a couple weeks ago, and I'm heading to the Intro to DJing class on Thursday. I don't think I'll learn a WHOLE lot, but it'll be nice for networking and meeting some other prospective DJ's in the area.

I recognize that I'll never get good at spinning unless I make some friends who are also trying to learn, so that at first we can help each other figure it out, and then we can use each other as competition.

Originally posted by rammelsberg

Malanee, I'm so glad you enjoyed it!!! Metatracks is such a good thing for our community, I think. I was worried that a DJ studio wouldn't work as a business concept in DC, but it seems like they're booked up a lot!

Juliette IS really great, isn't she? She's such a natural teacher because that's what she did before she opened Metatracks. She was a teacher! :D It's really cool that they get some big names there sometimes too. We're working on getting Emma Feline to do a lesson there sometime later in March. She's totally looking forward to it. If we get a green light on that, I'll put up a post.

I just got decks a couple weeks ago, and I'm heading to the Intro to DJing class on Thursday. I don't think I'll learn a WHOLE lot, but it'll be nice for networking and meeting some other prospective DJ's in the area.

I recognize that I'll never get good at spinning unless I make some friends who are also trying to learn, so that at first we can help each other figure it out, and then we can use each other as competition.

No doubt! There was something very reassuring about getting encouragement from host of people who have so recently been in my shoes. So how do you know that group? And have I met you yet? Let me know how your lesson goes!

No doubt! There was something very reassuring about getting encouragement from host of people who have so recently been in my shoes. So how do you know that group? And have I met you yet? Let me know how your lesson goes!

I don't think we've met yet. I just started actively going out several months ago and just moved to the area 4 weeks ago. If anybody wants to find me, look for the big dude who can't dance so well. I'll be in NYC this weekend though.

I definitely think a few of us DJing newbies need to get together one of these nights and practice together.

Originally posted by rammelsberg

I don't think we've met yet. I just started actively going out several months ago and just moved to the area 4 weeks ago. If anybody wants to find me, look for the big dude who can't dance so well. I'll be in NYC this weekend though.

I definitely think a few of us DJing newbies need to get together one of these nights and practice together.

Yeah - and we should make our friends listen and pretend they like it! :laugh:

Seriously - that sounds like a fun idea! Maybe next week after your lesson or sumpn'.

Gotta keep that record collection up to date. You don't wanna be spinning last year's tunes in public...

I'd have no problem playing last years tunes in public as long as they were good songs and not the songs that everyone played to death last year. Some cool songs hardly get any play. I stopped counting, but I must bepushing 200 records by now. I just got some techno records in the mail yesterday from Release Records as a matter of fact (again, Shady, good looki' out on letting me know about Release).

Originally posted by Kuro

I'd have no problem playing last years tunes in public as long as they were good songs and not the songs that everyone played to death last year. Some cool songs hardly get any play. I stopped counting, but I must bepushing 200 records by now. I just got some techno records in the mail yesterday from Release Records as a matter of fact (again, Shady, good looki' out on letting me know about Release).

Another problem (obsession) I have is that I like to always have new shit to listen to. So I record a set at least once a month to listen to at work and in the car. And I've got this thing where I don't like to have the same tune on more than one CD. So whenever I buy records, I always buy them in batches of 13 or more (which is exactly enough to fill one CD). I know. I have problems.

Another problem (obsession) I have is that I like to always have new shit to listen to. So I record a set at least once a month to listen to at work and in the car. And I've got this thing where I don't like to have the same tune on more than one CD. So whenever I buy records, I always buy them in batches of 13 or more (which is exactly enough to fill one CD). I know. I have problems.

I buy records in batches of 5 - 13. I know what you mean about having new shit. Fucking yoshitoshi and their online shopping. I can't afford to keep doing this. :worry2: