Clubplanet Nightlife Community

ketamine

Hehehe.... at least Ketamine is relatively safe for one species of living thing... unlike E. I'm not trying to bust your balls, or preach, I just think your statement makes you seem dissalussioned about the damage associated with both of those substances...

Yes, Ketamine is originally used for medical practice on animals, but the originial ingredients ingrained in ecstasy are used to paint houses. Think about it.

I prefer E to K myself, too... K never really did much for me unless I mixed it with acid and E.

Ketamine is still commonly used on humans. It is the safest short term anesthetic there is because it is the only one in use that doesn't repress breathing and heart rate. Thus you dont have to ventilate etc.

The reason it is not used as often is because of the side effects. The same side effects that some people like, can be quite unsettling if not expected and interprited as "I died and went through this tunnel....."

The funny part is they now mostly use K for the most risky patients, i.e. the very young and the very old.

Originally posted by shroomy

Ketamine is still commonly used on humans. It is the safest short term anesthetic there is because it is the only one in use that doesn't repress breathing and heart rate. Thus you dont have to ventilate etc.

The reason it is not used as often is because of the side effects. The same side effects that some people like, can be quite unsettling if not expected and interprited as "I died and went through this tunnel....."

The funny part is they now mostly use K for the most risky patients, i.e. the very young and the very old.

all so very true.

my uncle who is a major trauma surgeon and captain of his team in the ER out in portland (let's say he deals with some serious shit) said all of the above and more.

there is this big hype and illegality of K, but yet it's one of the safest drugs out there. and yes believe it.

it may cause parkinsons disease in someone who sniffs it constantly and for several several several years.

however, he doesn't recommend sniffing it ;)

iv. The Dissociative Drugs

The term "dissociative" derives from "dissociative anaesthetic", a class of anaesthetics which produce unresponsiveness to stimuli by dissociating various elements of the mind (in simple terms, they knock you out by putting you 'out of your body'). Consciousness, memory, perception, and motor activity are all dissociatied from each other. The dissociative anaesthetics all block the N-methyl-D-aspartate (NMDA) neuroreceptor, though many act on other receptors like sigma. I prefer "dissociative" to "dissociative anaesthetic" when discussing these drugs, for two reasons: first, most recreational use occurs below the anaesthetic level; second, some drugs in this category are not, and probably never will be, marketed as anaesthetics.

Dissociatives are not frequently used as anaesthetics in humans because of what are known as "emergence effects", various odd effects that can happen when people come out of anaesthesia. All anaesthetics can produce these effects, but with the dissociatives it is much more common and much more severe. Dissociative anaesthetics (ketamine and tiletamine) are used in veterinary practice, since animals don't often complain about out-of-body experiences. Ketamine is also used in burn trauma and in children (who don't get the psychedelic effects of the dissociatives, and are not susceptible to dissociative brain damage).

The psychedelic effects of the dissociatives are difficult to explain. They are nothing whatsoever like LSD or related drugs (mescaline, DMT, mushrooms, etc.) but they are clearly psychedelic. For years I've struggled to understand the dissociatives, and the best way I can explain the difference between dissociatives and traditional serotonergic psychedelics is this:

Serotonergic psychedelics are Eros, and dissociatives are Thanatos. The serotonergics are Birth, they are sensory overload, focus on the details, awareness of the external universe. The dissociatives are Death, sensory shutdown, focus on the archetypes, awareness of the internal universe. Serotonergics are the "Ana" side of Chaos, dissociatives the "Kata" side of Chaos (Chaos being the essential driving energy behind reality, if you will).

Ultimately, they can both take you to the same place -- mystical union, ego-loss, or just plain "trippin' balls" depending on your point of view -- but they take you by different routes. I like to think of both routes as complementary ... but only if they don't hurt you in the process of getting there!

A recent study confirms that nitrous oxide is a dissociative anaesthetic. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED! Nitrous oxide also depletes vitamin B-12, incidentally.

These are some dissociative drugs you might encounter:

Street Drugs:

Ketamine (K, Special-K, Vitamin-K), in injection bottles or as powder

Dextromethorphan (DXM), in capsules or as powder

PCP (Angel Dust, Embalming Fluid, etc.), powder, liquid, or on smoking material

Over-The-Counter and Quasi-Legal Drugs:

Dextromethorphan (DXM), available in cough syrups and pills

Nitrous Oxide ("Whippets" and iSi whipped cream chargers)

Prescription Drugs:

Ketamine (veterinary and human anaesthetic)

Tiletamine (veterinary anaesthetic)

Memantine and amantadine

Research Drugs:

Dizocilpine maleate (MK-801)

more on Ketamie..

:letsgo:

Originally posted by codica3

Anyone else notice that the popularity of K is just blowing up exponentially lately??? :blank: :blank: :blank:

i know k was *huge* in philly about 5-6 years ago. since then usage here has gone down.