Clubplanet Nightlife Community
Sign in to follow this  
clubkat

Funny how. . .

the percentage of all divorces and single parent housholds keeps rising. . .::well. . .from Gen X marriges::

Does commitment even exist anymore?

Has having an open mind abolished all morals from "back in the day"? :confused:

Makes me sad to think that. . .now being a statistic. . .im at a super high risk of getting divorced if i ever get married.

:(

Guest danni133

I def think commitment exists. But I do feel people need to stop getting married so early on though, and consider being with a person for more than a year or two before tieing the knot. I love the idea of sharing a house with your fiance prior to marriage. It gives the couple a great sense of what to expect in married life, and to see their fiance in a new light.

Personally though, I do not plan on being divorced, so I am going to wait until my early to mid thirties if I decide to do the marriage thing. That way I'll know for sure that the relationship is compatible and the love is eternal..

Hmm funny this thought was brought to you by a girl who is scared of commitment.

Originally posted by danni133

Hmm funny this thought was brought to you by a girl who is scared of commitment.

I really doubt your scared hun. . .not with all that you just mentioned.

Sounds to me like your avoiding it :confused:

::maybe im wrong::

Originally posted by clubkat

the percentage of all divorces and single parent housholds keeps rising. . .::well. . .from Gen X marriges::

Does commitment even exist anymore?

Has having an open mind abolished all morals from "back in the day"? :confused:

Makes me sad to think that. . .now being a statistic. . .im at a super high risk of getting divorced if i ever get married.

:(

Sad story huh....

I work for a co. that's primarily Jewish...and divorce is looked down upon sorely in their community....but regardless, so many of the people I work with are sooo unhappy...or even just taking the plunge and getting divorced!

I don't care if I have to wait until I'm 80...I want (and need) the real deal.

I don't know if there is really such a thing as "forever." I haven't seen much of it in my family, and certainly less in the wider world. Part of it is because of people taking their commitments too lightly.

And I don't really think that love and commitment is based that stronly on how long you have known someone- it's how well you know that person, and how well that person knows themself and what they are looking for. I would have completely agreed with Danni on that point anytime before this summer. That's when my Mom met her boyfriend. And now they are completely in love, talking about marriage, and she is moving up there to be with him probably this summer! Now there is of course no guarantee that it will last the rest of their lives, but neither is there a guarantee if a couple has been together for a decade. You just never know!

Another thing about divorce and old-time values... well, it's good that some of those values have gone out the window. Women are better able to support themselves and no longer have to stay in abusive, unfaithful, or empty relationships simply to survive. And people don't have to stay together any longer "for the kids"- because kids aren't stupid and in the end it does more damage than good to expose them to an unhealthy environment.

Anyway... yes it is sad that more marriages can't work out. And it's very scary to look at statistics and think how unlikely it is that, out of all of them, your marriage will be the one to last.

But- it's not an institution I wish to be in any time in the forseeable future- so I'll worry about it when the time comes.