Jump to content
Clubplanet Nightlife Community
Sign in to follow this  
scratchapella

techno heads?

Recommended Posts

why are most of them so old?

you all know i love techno, so don't get me wrong. . .

and i don't know as many people out here but it seems like anywhere i go and meet a bunch of purists or techno heads, they're all 27 and older. . .

i;ve tried enlightening other partykids closer to my age, and yeh, they all like it at first, but it doesn't have the same appeal to them as breaks or somefink like that. . .

i think it has somefink to do w/techno being such an old genre or edm, definitely takes things back to basics, but i know so many younger kids that love good old school house though. . . like they can appreciate classics house and acid house, but for some reason, basic techno doesn't have that same appeal. . .

so tell me dc technoheads, whatup?

(and if you're under 25, respond too, i'd like to know if you kids exist)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jambi and I were talking about this. He thinks that techno requires a higher level of listener education than other genres and that the music is too "intelligent" for most clubbers/ravers. Now - keep in mind - he's a total techno snob!

Honestly - I'm not sure why it is. I think everything goes in cycles - and right now techno is not at the forefront. So must aficianados have been fans for a long time, you know?

Why do you like techno? Why do you think most people you're age aren't into it?

Are you going to the techno party next Sat. at the Edge?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

dunno. have you asked why they dont like techno?

i think that alot of times when we have a bad experience with something we tend to think that its always that way. maybe they went to a party that had bad techno, or it was good, but there was no crowd, or something (like jimi 2 weeks ago).

I knwo that alot of my non-clubbing friends are adamant that they hate clubs, but the reason that they hate them is because they have only been to bad, cheesey ones and its hard to change their point of view. mmaybe i should lend them some cd's so they can listen to the music and maybe take them step by step until they see that not all clubs or parties are generally cheese or bad.

stages of change/transtheoretical model is the term that we use in health ed. take the slowly until change occurs. maybe lending them some good techno cd's. i just think that maybe they had a bad experience once and they think its always like that.

although you will always get people that think that whatever they do not like is pure garbage and does not merrit their attention.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by malanee

Jambi and I were talking about this. He thinks that techno requires a higher level of listener education than other genres and that the music is too "intelligent" for most clubbers/ravers. Now - keep in mind - he's a total techno snob!

Ooh. I'd love to talk to this Jambi guy. We'd probably go on for days talking about intellligent elements in music.

I totally agree with that assessment. It seems that when you look at the younger ravers/clubbers as a whole (not all, but a lot), they're more into the in your face type music, like hard house or fairy trance. In your face doesn't necessarily mean hard and bangin', but it's shit that doesn't really leave anything to the imagination. It's formulaic. It's bland. But to the newbie, it's just right, because it's not too complex. But it seems that as people appreciate the music more, they tend to outgrow or expand their musical tastes, and appreciate the subtler and more complex styles. Which allows them to branch out into the other types of music.

In terms of age, it's more a coincidence than maturity thing, I think. It's definitely a musical maturity thing, but in terms of actual age, if you realize that most kids don't start clubbing until they're over 18, then you can see that by the time their musical tastes have grown, they're older as well. Scratch is an exception. She started at probably a much younger age than most. So in terms of musical maturity, she's been listening to this stuff for a long time. And her musical tastes have matured. Even though she's still a youngin'. But on average, I think the age thing has to do with when people generally get into the scene, and the time it takes for people to branch out into other styles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by shadygroovedc

Ooh. I'd love to talk to this Jambi guy. We'd probably go on for days talking about intellligent elements in music.

I'd rather shoot myself than introduce you two! I can just hear the conversation now - droning on for hours and hours! *snore*

:blown:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by scratchapella

why are most of them so old?

so tell me dc technoheads, whatup?

(and if you're under 25, respond too, i'd like to know if you kids exist)

Most techno heads are older, because it is one of the oldest if not the oldest genres. So the people that are into it, have been listening to it for a longtime. Generally people(kids) get into the music around 15-18, so now they have MUCH more choices, trance, DnB, prog. house, breaks, prog. trance, etc... But 10 years ago there weren't as many genres or styles, you were limited to a very selct few with the main one obviously techno. Just my .02

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by malanee

I'd rather shoot myself than introduce you two! I can just hear the conversation now - droning on for hours and hours! *snore*

:blown:

We'd be talking about the intricate differences in timbre between compressing with a knee of 1.0 vs a knee of 5.0 on an instrument imported through the ESX-24 in Logic! :D

OK, this geek will shutup now...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I started listening to techno only a few months after I started listening to all other types of dance music. At the time I didn't know the difference between genres (all electronic music was "techno" to me). So if I was younger I might still dig techno just as much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

maybe it also has to do with where you were brought up. scratch being frfom chicago maybe got exposed to it and to house music at an earlier age than most of us. and being close to detroit might have gotten exposed to techno from detroit.

i just started thinking that a few years a go i had a friend in school who is from Lansing and he was mad crazy about techno. Some of his family lived in Detroit and he would also make frequent visits to Chicago, but that was totally weird to most of us who back then just listened to what was on the radio.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by pgiddy

Most techno heads are older, because it is one of the oldest if not the oldest genres. So the people that are into it, have been listening to it for a longtime. Generally people(kids) get into the music around 15-18, so now they have MUCH more choices, trance, DnB, prog. house, breaks, prog. trance, etc... But 10 years ago there weren't as many genres or styles, you were limited to a very selct few with the main one obviously techno. Just my .02

i completely concur w/ pgiddyiddyiddyiddy

no, seriously, really good point. tastes are obviously influenced by what's available. i will be a slurpee drinker until the day i die, no matter that there are now icees, koolaid frozen cooler thingies, etc. it was what i had growing up and i can't get away, to go other routes would be betraying my roots. and nothing beats 'the real thing.'

another analogy - those who can't give up walkmans or even cd-players in favor of mp3's. :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by MadamMillie

i completely concur w/ pgiddyiddyiddyiddy

no, seriously, really good point. tastes are obviously influenced by what's available. i will be a slurpee drinker until the day i die, no matter that there are now icees, koolaid frozen cooler thingies, etc. it was what i had growing up and i can't get away, to go other routes would be betraying my roots. and nothing beats 'the real thing.'

another analogy - those who can't give up walkmans or even cd-players in favor of mp3's. :P

I tried this sour cherry slurpee a couple weeks ago, and it hurt my tummy. :( I'm sticking with the Coca-Cola Slurpee. It's by far the least offensive of all the flavors.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

sad. . .still no one under 25. . .

anyways, true to what everyone is saying above. . .that's what i always thought too (that techno's just an older genre of music than all the rest, still think house started it all. . .but that's a whole other debate)

but i still think its just as newbie-friendly as all the rest, i mean it's still an easy four/four beat, uses a lot of the same elements as house, and who can resist that cragee relentless kick drum that goes in time w/your heart?!

part of the blame, i think, goes to the present technoheads themselves. . gawd, they're pretentious, perverted and mean! puahhaha. :tongue: forreal though, they tend to be very protective about their music, but i can understand why. . .

if anyone meets a techo head that's under 25, please hookitup and PM me please. i'm sick of dancing w/old folk, yall wear out too easily :tongue:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by scratchapella

if anyone meets a techo head that's under 25, please hookitup and PM me please. i'm sick of dancing w/old folk, yall wear out too easily :tongue:

werd, everytime we see you hit the dance floor we end up

hail.gif

:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by scratchapella

if anyone meets a techo head that's under 25, please hookitup and PM me please. i'm sick of dancing w/old folk, yall wear out too easily :tongue:

I don't wear out. I've had a drug problem lately.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by scratchapella

sad. . .still no one under 25. . .

anyways, true to what everyone is saying above. . .that's what i always thought too (that techno's just an older genre of music than all the rest, still think house started it all. . .but that's a whole other debate)

but i still think its just as newbie-friendly as all the rest, i mean it's still an easy four/four beat, uses a lot of the same elements as house, and who can resist that cragee relentless kick drum that goes in time w/your heart?!

part of the blame, i think, goes to the present technoheads themselves. . gawd, they're pretentious, perverted and mean! puahhaha. :tongue: forreal though, they tend to be very protective about their music, but i can understand why. . .

if anyone meets a techo head that's under 25, please hookitup and PM me please. i'm sick of dancing w/old folk, yall wear out too easily :tongue:

OK I am over 25 and really like techno and house and prog. house, I like breaks too but not as much as the others.

I have only been an addict of electronic music for about a year now and still get confused about all the genres, and what they all mean to some people. And how some ppl just freak out at hearing DnB and some can't stand house or whatever.

I had some friends once upon a tyme in a far far galaxy away that insisted that all "techno" music was the same. It wasn't hard to convince them after playing a Dieselboy set to them and then playing a Roger Sanchez set. Most of these ppl still think of electronic music as "techno" and all the hard driving acid techno of the 80's throughout most of the 90's. Just think, Lords of Acid, KMFDM, 808 State, My lifewith the thrill kill kult. Now that you are dealing with ppl that haven't been to a club and heard the new styles and genres of music they are still thinking back to these groups. I think I have gone off the subject at hand and am just rambling now so I think I will stop typing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

no you weren't rambling. ..i totally understand, that's why i'm so picky about labels. . .plus i'm a elitist techno snob.:rolleyes:

see you're lucky that people your age can at least think of KMFDM as "techno". . .my generation/peer group, gawd, thinks "techno" when they hear eiffel69, alice deejay, darude and rollergirl. . .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by scratchapella

sad. . .still no one under 25. . .

if anyone meets a techo head that's under 25, please hookitup and PM me please. i'm sick of dancing w/old folk, yall wear out too easily :tongue:

I'm under 25, but not really a techno head, can I still PM you. J/k:laugh: :laugh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

puahahaha. lizzie and marcelo? no, they're more progressive/trance kids. . . plus one of them's not in the 25 and under club. . .

and you! i was just going to ask when we get to bounce again? do you get to hear any good music out there in texas, bunny?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by scratchapella

why are most of them so old?

You know I didn't think about this when I made the first post but now that I think of it "PISS OFF"!!!!! Why do you have to say that 25 and older is "OLD" ("why are they all so old") I feel so "old" now. But in a few years when I make them put in a ramp at glow so I can take my wheelchair upstairs I will still be dancing and wheeling around in circles. And BTW how OLD are you cause if you are over 25 then you just classified yourself as one of the old folgies too.

When I am 65 and sitting at the Knights of Columbus or the VFW playing Bingo, those bastards will have Carl Cox spinning the basket full of balls, while Judge Jules is calling out the numbers!!!

JD might be there too anouncing the winners of the fruit baskets selling the stampers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

×