Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Is This Racist????????????

Guest saleen351

Guest saleen351

IF I STARTED A TV STATION CALLED WET......WHITE ENTERTAINMENT TV WOULD THAT BE RACIST? WHY OR WHY NOT....

Thats one of the major problems in this country..........

Yes it is racially biased, but not racist. Just like BET is racially biased. Its another form of segregation.

I think BET is a step in the wrong direction and should be taken off the air.........but who am I to say.

Originally posted by djjonstephen

Thats one of the major problems in this country..........

Yes it is racially biased, but not racist. Just like BET is racially biased. Its another form of segregation.

I think BET is a step in the wrong direction and should be taken off the air.........but who am I to say.

I definitly agree. I mean if there really was such thing as "WET" omgggg do you know what kinda complaints there would be wtf

That would be the end of it.

and yes it is a step in the wrong direction.

Something you people are not realizing is that most channels are WET channels. BET was formed because black entertainers are not as prominently featured on other stations, and BET is a place that will feature all that black entertainment has to offer... Not only "crossover" entertainment. Also remember, there are Spanish channels, Russian, Polish, Korean, and Japanese channels as well, for much the same reasons.

Originally posted by divalicious

Something you people are not realizing is that most channels are WET channels.

I love it Diva, half the time I don't even have to respond to a thread because you took the words right out of my mouth...

Guest saleen351

well I just wanted to see what you people would say, I wrote a paper for my brother's philosophy class on it. Bacically I came to the conclusion that it is not racist but unethical and also came to the conclusion that channels such as BET are hurting the black community since it further draws a line in the sand where as the black community needs to blurr the line in the sand. Channels such as Jap spanish and others are different, they deal with other lanuages. Also if you did't know BET is goiing off the air probaly within a year, thats why you see 24 hour infomercials on it, they are broke.....

"Something you people are not realizing is that most channels are WET channels. BET was formed because black entertainers are not as prominently featured on other stations, and BET is a place that will feature all that black entertainment has to offer... Not only "crossover" entertainment. Also remember, there are Spanish channels, Russian, Polish, Korean, and Japanese channels as well, for much the same reasons."

You have some good points but you fail to realize that different languages such as spainsh station mostly broadcast news and entertainment along the lines of main stream American media but BET doesn't , its dominated by black issues along with black culture which in their eyes is ganster rap, not Louis Armstrong, not JC Watts, not Ford , not sammy davis, not even arsenio hall, they are a 2 bit sham for black america and its sad.

90% of black America doesn't know who JC watts are and Ford and what states they are from, you know why, because BET chooses niggas over real issues....... I got a A+ on the paper, I aced philos in college just so you guys know ......

Originally posted by saleen351

well I just wanted to see what you people would say, I wrote a paper for my brother's philosophy class on it....90% of black America doesn't know who JC watts are and Ford and what states they are from, you know why, because BET chooses niggas over real issues....... I got a A+ on the paper, I aced philos in college just so you guys know ......

You or your brother got a A+? And enlighten me on what they should broadcast. I'm serious - I want to know.

Guest saleen351
Originally posted by spragga25

You or your brother got a A+? And enlighten me on what they should broadcast. I'm serious - I want to know.

without inplications of profit or cash flow I think BET should move to a more accepted form of entertainment. People in our age bracket see it as the "rap" station not the black culture station. If bill orielly only had repulicans on no one would every watch, you must have parity, which means you must include "white" america on the channel. Blacks over the last ten years have been closing in on white america in areas such as education, income, military and gov positions all this while affirmation action is cut, point is black america is slowly blurring the line, thats why blacks love clinton...... but BET hurts that blurring, they need to legitimize the channel, get rid of the black in their name and just focus on issues that effect blacks NOT black issues. VH1 does a great job of including every type of mucis BET should do that. Soooooooooo many great black musicians but you only see the same shit, like "yo yo yo, niggas whats uppppppppppp, where my homeis at, back that ass up, Holla back yalllllll" < this shit feeds into the stereo types so many white americans have. All my rambling means more varitey on issues and topics that are for the masses. Whites like louis armstrang too... and sammy and the list goes on....

without inplications of profit or cash flow I think BET should move to a more accepted form of entertainment. People in our age bracket see it as the "rap" station not the black culture station. If bill orielly only had repulicans on no one would every watch, you must have parity, which means you must include "white" america on the channel. Blacks over the last ten years have been closing in on white america in areas such as education, income, military and gov positions all this while affirmation action is cut, point is black america is slowly blurring the line, thats why blacks love clinton...... but BET hurts that blurring, they need to legitimize the channel, get rid of the black in their name and just focus on issues that effect blacks NOT black issues. VH1 does a great job of including every type of mucis BET should do that. Soooooooooo many great black musicians but you only see the same shit, like "yo yo yo, niggas whats uppppppppppp, where my homeis at, back that ass up, Holla back yalllllll" < this shit feeds into the stereo types so many white americans have. All my rambling means more varitey on issues and topics that are for the masses. Whites like louis armstrang too... and sammy and the list goes on....

Fair enough...demographics of people that watch BET are blacks that in their teens - mid 20's. How many of them listen to Sammy Davis and Louis Armstrong? Not too many, if any. Like you said above, it's all about $$ and if they changed to THAT format, the bottom would fall out faster than the Titanic.

Have you watch Telemundo or any other all-spanish channel...I think their show suck - but they have plenty of people still watching. There are 500+ channels on cable now, and there is something for everyone. If you don't like a station, pick up the remote and change it - life of a couch potato!

Please, as if MTV and VH1 have that much variety in their programming... I don't think so. For the most part, I can't stand to watch those channels, because they cater to teeny boppers. They play to their demographic, just like BET does. Teens and 20-somethings want what they want (imo crap, but what can you do?), and these stations give them what they desire. But, BET has gospel, jazz, and r&b shows as well, and this type of programming, while not as abundant, is not aired on any other station as far as I know.

BET also discusses issues that are important to the black community, from the black point of view, and that is something that you can not get on any other channel. This is important, imo, because black people should have a place that shows how black people feel, not how black people feel, filtered through white-dominated media (ie. channels 2, 4, 5, 7, 9, 11, CNN, et. al. news). These stations always seem to find the most ghettofied person to briefly interview, who is supposed to represent the black community. And exactly what is wrong with BET 's focus on black issues?? How many other stations focus on issues of the black community, in a way that does not have an undertone of disparagement? How many stations give a damn?

Btw, the other language channels do, in fact, report on issues that concern those communities, including issues and news from thier respective mother countries. Why is it that Spanish, Japanese, Russian, et. al. channels are justified because there is a language difference?? I can use the argument that they are in America, and as such, they should be speaking English and assimilating, and they shouldn't have their own channels. But, if I did, that would make me narrow-minded, something I am certainly not.

Originally posted by divalicious

Please, as if MTV and VH1 have that much variety in their programming... I don't think so. For the most part, I can't stand to watch those channels, because they cater to teeny boppers. They play to their demographic, just like BET does. Teens and 20-somethings want what they want (imo crap, but what can you do?), and these stations give them what they desire. But, BET has gospel, jazz, and r&b shows as well, and this type of programming, while not as abundant, is not aired on any other station as far as I know.

BET also discusses issues that are important to the black community, from the black point of view, and that is something that you can not get on any other channel. This is important, imo, because black people should have a place that shows how black people feel, not how black people feel, filtered through white-dominated media (ie. channels 2, 4, 5, 7, 9, 11, CNN, et. al. news). These stations always seem to find the most ghettofied person to briefly interview, who is supposed to represent the black community. And exactly what is wrong with BET 's focus on black issues?? How many other stations focus on issues of the black community, in a way that does not have an undertone of disparagement? How many stations give a damn?

Btw, the other language channels do, in fact, report on issues that concern those communities, including issues and news from thier respective mother countries. Why is it that Spanish, Japanese, Russian, et. al. channels are justified because there is a language difference?? I can use the argument that they are in America, and as such, they should be speaking English and assimilating, and they shouldn't have their own channels. But, if I did, that would make me narrow-minded, something I am certainly not.

exactly.

a lot of people fail to realize that culturaly-oriented stations exsist for a reason - to give racial/ethnic minorities something to relate to, to identify with. when i turn on the tv i am rarely met with faces that look like mine, and the few times that i am, they are usually stereotypical asian-americans either in the form of a kung-fu master or a dragonlady bitch. i'm glad there are other media outlets not only so we, as minorities have somthing that addresses our concerns; but also to show the rest of america that we are more than the stereotypes most network tv portrays us to be.

Originally posted by spragga25

Have you watch Telemundo or any other all-spanish channel...I think their show suck - but they have plenty of people still watching.

Thats b/c of all the beautiful women on those channels, hell i can't understand a word they speak but i watch it..

but to the main topic most networks are WET as you say, b/c the so called white shows make them the most money.

The stations are in this to make money, they make money in the sale of advertising space. The better the ratings the more money they charge for the space. And so called black shows with not much of an audience get left out

well I just wanted to see what you people would say, I wrote a paper for my brother's philosophy class on it. Bacically I came to the conclusion that it is not racist but unethical and also came to the conclusion that channels such as BET are hurting the black community since it further draws a line in the sand where as the black community needs to blurr the line in the sand. Channels such as Jap spanish and others are different, they deal with other lanuages. Also if you did't know BET is goiing off the air probaly within a year, thats why you see 24 hour infomercials on it, they are broke.....

hey

this is such an interesting thread...i know, i said before i dislike people discussing politics here, because this is clubplanet, but TV is a pop-culture medium...

about the blurring of the line in the sand:

do you really believe that we will live to see the day when all the communities will truly integrate? and is blurring of that 'harsh' line that divides the cultures the way to do it? being a foreigner in this country, i realised that the different cultures that coexist here rarely mingle. moreover, that it's very difficult to do it, because of the different cultural bagagge we all carry...so, what are we to do? to abstain from cultural segregation (ie not to have black/hispanic/whatever tv programme) and play out (on tv if not in real life) the idea that we are all alike (and yet have the WASP-y all-american-suburban-preppy-american-dream-like visions on TV as our daily brain-food?)? or is it better to underline the differences which then can be seen as creating new obstacles for the integration?

you answer!!!!:D :D :D

i was just thinking, if there is BET and WET,

would there be GET - Gay Entertainment TV? damn, that would be too funny

and besides, if there'd be WET,

than we'd have "Ivory" and "White Enterprise" magazines, that would be plain stupid

Peace,

Originally posted by madrusso

yeh, right, Sex and the City speaks for itself,

you forgot E! , thats a GET channel too,

peace,

hmm but then all stations that deal with trash and celebrities and *gay/drama* topics are potential GET channels...what is really sad is that it won't do anything for the *gay cause* (if there's such a thing) but:

1. represent the gay community in a manner which justifies all that str8 people think about it (as in queer as folk for example; and sadly that's what most of the gay guys are really about)

2. profit on individual misfortunes of battered/abused gays

ewww:eek:

• 2 weeks later...

~~~ i know im gonna get my ass kicked for this b/c ppl are gonna misunderstand what im trying to say but the hell with it.......

i think BET itself is a racist channel.......from all my experiences in life black ppl are more racist and segregationistic(is that a word:confused: ) than other races........they assume tha white people dont like them so they chose to not like them first........black girls complain about white women stealing their men, yet we never complain about them taking our men..........and someone mentioned that BET shows life from a black point of view, well there shouldn't even be one in the first place, there should just be an american point of view.....black people are the ones drawing the boundary between the races...........yes of course there are ignorant people such as members of KKK and other hate groups but these ppl are white trash so they shouldn't even be taken seriously.......as for white shows that is complete BS...i equally enjoy spanish soap operas, friends and Moesha....so dont even go there...........when i came to america i was determined to be openminded and not racist as a lot of russian ppl are, and what i got in return was racism just because i was white (i went to a predominantly dominican school) so please enough with this issue!!! just ignore ignorant trash and stop thinking about life from a black point of view and think about it from american point of view........ALSO for those who are gonna jump on me saying that im saying all this b/c im white NO! i am russian which a lot of americans and all hate groups DO NOT consider white

~~~~OK im done

Sexxy H- Two things that strike me about what you wrote...

-You say that blacks are the ones drawing the boundary between the races... No, that line was drawn loooong ago by those who shipped African slaves across the seas...

-And when you say that blacks are the ones who are more prejudiced... the one thing that you're neglecting to take into account is POWER... meaning that, in this society whites are the ones who make the rules. So- even *if* the black mindset is more racist than that of the average white... they're not in a position to do much about it.