Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Temporary towers of light

i won't be going to see the towers tonight - but i will definitly be seeing them before june when i think they will be up and running until.

however - my thoughts and prayers go out to all who have been affected in any way by this tragedy.

i think the "towers of light" are a BEAUTIFUL tribute

Originally posted by barbiegirl

i won't be going to see the towers tonight - but i will definitly be seeing them before june when i think they will be up and running until.

however - my thoughts and prayers go out to all who have been affected in any way by this tragedy.

i think the "towers of light" are a BEAUTIFUL tribute

I heard that you can see them from any point where you can see the skyline...I also feel that its a wonderful tribute...but they are only running until April 13th, from dusk until 11 p.m.

Originally posted by laurie619

I heard that you can see them from any point where you can see the skyline...I also feel that its a wonderful tribute...but they are only running until April 13th, from dusk until 11 p.m.

Oh wow. Thanks for the info. I will definetely check it out this month. Take care Laurie

Originally posted by StArBrYte

top.lights.nj.jpg

now all I need to do is go see it in person...did anyone go tonight?

It looks nothing like that.. I work in secoucus so i got a good view, and I swear the Metro lights are brioghter then those lights.

I really can see metro lights better then i can see the tower lights and metro Is 1o mile futher then WTC was from me...

Sad that they put very little effort in it, and I only see 1 light , maybee its the angle that I am at cuz im at work....

Originally posted by stonedcl

It looks nothing like that.. I work in secoucus so i got a good view, and I swear the Metro lights are brioghter then those lights.

I really can see metro lights better then i can see the tower lights and metro Is 1o mile futher then WTC was from me...

Sad that they put very little effort in it, and I only see 1 light , maybee its the angle that I am at cuz im at work....

It should look better...rather...be seen easier when it's foggier out. I think it's supposed to rain Wednesday night or Thursday so either would probably be "high visibility" nights.

I live in Nutley but drove with a few friends to the Kearny Skyline Park.....it did look like one light rather than two...but then when you get closer o the water you can see it's two. Def the angle....

But anywho....so what if the lights are pretty dim. It's supposed to be a memorial. Don't forget the purpose at hand here kids......We're not going to Rockefeller Center to see the tree.....It's a remembrance.;)

Originally posted by marcid21

But anywho....so what if the lights are pretty dim. It's supposed to be a memorial. Don't forget the purpose at hand here kids......We're not going to Rockefeller Center to see the tree.....It's a remembrance.;)

true but i think they could have made it ALOT brighter..

So more people can see it... maybe they will add lights?

What can I write to what I just saw..? It was so sad, and yet at the same time touching....

I went to Hoboken to see the lights and from the moment I hit the turnpike you could see them.... It was breathtaking...just to see cars, trucks, tractor trailers…etc..all pulled over taking pictures and just gazing up it was moving.

But nothing like Frank Sinatra Park…as soon as I was walking into the park it was….well no words can do it’s justice….Just to see all the people as they are trying to put their lives back together, looking up there faces as they react to the lights. Unanswered questions remain I still saw confusion, grief and disbelief are revealed in the eyes of everyone I looked at. It was so quiet, all I heard was the sounds of clicking cameras, and mumbling, but there is this one little girl that stood out.

I can still hear her voice in my head…She had to be no older then 4 years old helping her mother light a candle and taping up a picture of her father. I know its her father is because this little girl kept shouting out “bye dad†as her and her mother walked away…. It was emotional for me to hear, and see that.

Everytime I am over there whether its looking at the “skyline†or just watching the ferrys run, its just has a warm feeling, I don’t know if you can relate to me from some of your post probably not but that’s pretty much my night oh and sprincess218 I did see some airplanes flying around so I don’t think it could have distracted them too much

I just opened the paper at lunch and I read this in the USA TODAY

NEW YORK -- Six months after they watched their greatest towers crash down, New Yorkers looked up again.

A girl orphaned in the Sept. 11 attacks flipped a switch at dusk Monday, and two thin columns of translucent bluish light soared into the sky over Lower Manhattan, symbolically recreating the World Trade Center and memorializing those lost there.

From subway entrances to the top of the Empire State Building to the suburbs of North Jersey, people looked up. On the George Washington Bridge, on the Staten Island Ferry, on the New Jersey Turnpike, people looked up.

Outside firehouses, firefighters looked up. Outside precinct houses, police officers looked up. On boats in New York Harbor, relatives of the lost looked up.

''The beams seem to go up forever,'' murmured Kathy Ganci, riding in a special ferry with hundreds of other firefighter families. Her husband, Peter, a fire department chief, died on Sept. 11.

''If we can't have our towers back,'' she added, ''this will do.'' But the towers of light will shine only until April 13; they will be succeeded eventually by a permanent memorial at Ground Zero.

On the Brooklyn rooftop from which she saw the towers collapse on a late summer morning, Morgan Tilley looked up. ''After what happened, this is the most inspiring thing I've ever seen,'' she said. ''These beams fill an emptiness.''

Some demurred. ''I miss the World Trade Center. I will miss it every day of my life. But I'm not sure the towers of light are it,'' said Elizabeth Berger, who lives across the street from Ground Zero.

Some looked up in hope, others in sorrow. Everyone looked up with the memory of that other day. People gathered at the same vantage spots as they had six months earlier, including Eagle Rock Reservation in West Orange, N.J.

Stacey McShane, 13, and her family found the ledge overlooking Manhattan so crowded that police stopped cars at the entrance. She noticed memorials left over from Sept. 11 -- photos, poems, flags. The beams, she said, were ''nice, but a little faint.''

Stacey was safely in school on Sept. 11, but Bill Rupp, a Jersey City fireman, wound up at Ground Zero, where he lost a friend in the towers' collapse. Rupp, 51, could barely talk as he watched the beams seem to arch overhead outside the Liberty Science Center. ''This is still too early for me,'' he said. ''The healing hasn't even begun.''

Watching on television at home in Brooklyn, Jack Zelmanowitz, 69, whose brother Abe died in the north tower after he stayed behind to keep a quadriplegic friend company, said he was reminded of a passage from the Book of Proverbs.

He recited it in Hebrew, in a voice that cracked from sorrow: '' 'The light of God is the soul of man. It seeks out every inner part of the human psyche.'

''To me, that means the symbol of light is a person's soul,'' he said. ''You can't extinguish it. We will fight and succeed and overcome these terrible times. I hope this light will shine forever.''

Jeannie Pagan, an Aon Corp. employee who was working on the 99th floor of the south tower and lost a cousin who worked in the north tower, watched the lights from a pier on the East River in Brooklyn.

When the beams appeared at 6:55 p.m., she and her friends clapped and cheered as if the Mets had won the pennant. ''This put my towers back there for me,'' she said. ''That big empty void is finally filled.''

Dereck Lovell, 45, a security guard who worked in the south tower, returned to Lower Manhattan ''to take a few pictures to show the kids. It's good to see these lights, but it doesn't bring back good memories.''

Lovell said he knew seven other security guards at Morgan Stanley who perished on Sept. 11.

The twin pillars came from two light banks, each with 44 lamps, mounted in a lot near Ground Zero. The Tribute in Light cost $10,000. The Consolidated Edison utility is donating electricity.

The lighting began with a brief ceremony. ''We don't need a lot of speeches,'' Mayor Michael Bloomberg said.

The lights were flicked on by 12-year-old Valerie Webb, whose father, Nathaniel, a Port Authority policeman, was lost in the north tower. Her mother died of a heart attack two years ago.

Earlier, in a morning ceremony several blocks from Ground Zero, hundreds of mourners paused for two moments of silence marking the precise times when two airliners hit the towers and killed more than 2,800 people Sept. 11.

City officials dedicated a sculpture damaged in the attack as a temporary memorial in Battery Park. The Sphere, a steel-and-bronze sculpture that stood in the fountain of the Trade Center plaza, was gashed and partially crushed by falling debris.

''It survived the collapse of the twin towers, as did the idea that catalyzed its creation: a peaceful world based on trade and the free movement of people and ideas,'' Bloomberg said. ''This is just a temporary memorial. . . . The real memorial will be in our hearts.''

JUST THOUGHT THST SOME OF YOU WOULD CHANGE YOUR MIND ABOUT THIS......

I saw them from North Arlington on Schuyler Ave and it was so beautiful. It doesn't matter how bright they are, it just looks like a spirit looming there. It was very moving. Did anyone see the documentary on Sunday night on CBS. I was shaking throught it. They sounds and the sights where horrific. What the people who worked there and the rescue workers must have indured.