Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Blowing my tax return on fun, need suggestions/opinions...

Originally posted by trancend

that point is so beyond proving i dont even have the energy to talk about it because to the rest of the board i look like a tool because none of them have seen joe switch personalities they see him just come in as "joeg" so thats why i lost motivation

:shaky:

Now Back to the topic

Joe

Headphones - I highly recommend Sony MDR-V700 djmart.com has them for $108.99 and that’s damn good

Decks (nothing but Technics 1200's)

for new Technics 1200's mk3d's get them from guitarcenter.com like ROHA did

for used call Justin M Schwarz from Abracadabra/ Idjnow.com 1800-355-7746 or 631-655-2300 and find out if he has 2 used 1200s for $500

Mixer go for a Gemini 676 it has everything you need for under $200.

Needles – if you got the bucks go for the Night Clubs @ 130 a pop. if not get the Shure M44 – 7(next best thing ) for around $70 a pop.

Originally posted by jayp

joseph, take friday off or saturday or something and come to canal street w/me. we'll do this right.

no offense but you're a fool. dont get sucked into this LOL

Canal St. is the shit. Finagling could never be so much fun....

However, rather than WASTING your money on your own equipment, you should just help upgrade MY equipment, buy me some records, and I'll let you practice over at my place as much as you want....at least that way you don't need to blow money on tables and headphones and all that other useless shit....

Originally posted by trancend

that point is so beyond proving i dont even have the energy to talk about it because to the rest of the board i look like a tool because none of them have seen joe switch personalities they see him just come in as "joeg" so thats why i lost motivation

given the fact that we haven't talked/seen each other in 4 months... I'd say you don't see any more than "joeg" either...

Justin... bottom line... if theres a legitamate problem here, you know how to get in touch with me... If you don't think the friendship is worth salvaging, then lets just split ways CIVILY...

Originally posted by thehacker

oh yeah and SENNHEISER's are not often talked about among dj's but those that have them are happy to sing their praises if you ask.

didn't know they made needles but they do make the best headphones around by a long shot.

personally I blew some of my return on a fat korg ms2000 which I got for like $450 (broken power connector...just had to resolder). filed that shit online....got the check in 2 weeks.

i was gonna go for the new SH32 but i needed something else with a keyboard on it heheh....plus I couldn't resist the price....if I get sick of it out to ebay it goes and I'll even get $600 for it at least. i still got some dough left to blow i'm thinking a used S3000XL or maybe a true analog synth since all I got are VA's, plus my fatman.

Hehe I have a broken pair of Sennheisers laying around somewhere if anyone knows how to fix em...

As far as mixers go, I'm gonna guess that you're going to be spinning something with a broken beat (just a guess), and if you want to eventually scratch anything at all, I'd stay away from the rotary mixers. Not that they're probably in your price range, but a lot of people sing their praises lately, and they're great for Prog and other genres where blending is key, but sudden effects are just much easier without a rotary to bother with.

As far as cheap mixers go, I'm agreeing with Bog here on the 676, and while there are some points to bitch about on it (especially the way to turn over the monitors), they'll more than do to learn on and it's an easy transition over from those onto a 500 later on.

Also something else to look for, depending on what style you'll be spinning, is what heads you'll want. Once again, personally, I find uprights a lot easier to navigate, especially if you plan on scratching at all or anything of the like. This one I'm sure people will disagree with me on, and I'm not an expert on cartridges, but that's just been my observation.

And if you really want to get MDR700s, they sell on Canal St for 80 bucks if you do a good job on talking them down...

very true dan... i can safely say i estimate i've spent twice as much $ on records at breakbeatscience and satellite than on the day i got my turntables and mixer and needles...

my mixer is the vestax pmc-03a (the pcv-003 is a newer equivalent)... it's an entry level model, has two lines and a mic line, 2 band eq, very smooth faders, an optical cross fader (this means it slides with no friction - it uses optics to detect the position - and won't wear out or get noisy after lots of use as with mechanical/magnetic crossfaders), a miniature-crossfader for the monitoring (instead of a knob) (for me this was key, but it's all a matter of personal preference), and it comes in a slick durable shell with a platinum top plate - it'll run ya just under $100.

an obvious/painless upgrade path from the pmc-03a would be the pmc07pro ... still only two lines but one of the finest two channel mixers on the market (in my humble opinion)... worst comes to worse on the whole 2/3/4 line decision: just wire up your third/fourth sound sources to the line inputs and flip the switch from phono to line while the other channel's playing... it's a cheesy way to get 4 sources into a 2-line mixer, but it works.

Originally posted by brickhouse

Hehe I have a broken pair of Sennheisers laying around somewhere if anyone knows how to fix em...

As far as mixers go, I'm gonna guess that you're going to be spinning something with a broken beat (just a guess), and if you want to eventually scratch anything at all, I'd stay away from the rotary mixers. Not that they're probably in your price range, but a lot of people sing their praises lately, and they're great for Prog and other genres where blending is key, but sudden effects are just much easier without a rotary to bother with.

As far as cheap mixers go, I'm agreeing with Bog here on the 676, and while there are some points to bitch about on it (especially the way to turn over the monitors), they'll more than do to learn on and it's an easy transition over from those onto a 500 later on.

Also something else to look for, depending on what style you'll be spinning, is what heads you'll want. Once again, personally, I find uprights a lot easier to navigate, especially if you plan on scratching at all or anything of the like. This one I'm sure people will disagree with me on, and I'm not an expert on cartridges, but that's just been my observation.

And if you really want to get MDR700s, they sell on Canal St for 80 bucks if you do a good job on talking them down...

rock vestax or rane (or a pioneer djm5 or 6), DO NOT BUY NUMARK. stanton w/ the optical fader's nice too.

about the sony V7's.....i got em and while it sounds good....its gotten to the point where i can't have that shit on for more than a half hour without having to take it out it grips my head way too hard.

what do you guys have for studio use? i'm in love with the sennheiser HD600 i just dont have the $350 to blow on it. but its perfect....and i mean perfect in every way. if someone knows of a good deal on a new pair let me know (speakers and phones are the one thing i'd never buy used).

the sennheiser hd 25 sp ( available from the fine folks of turntable lab on the lower east side - www.turntablelab.com ) has excellent frequency range and bass response (as in non-painful but crucial thumpada thumpada) and has a smaller cup that truly hugs your ear and seals out environmental noises... and will 'only' run you a cool hundred or so.

Originally posted by joeg

OK, so i've decided to give in to the urge... and buy some decks with my tax return (and a little other cash)...

Going with the tech 1200m3d's (if your going to do it, do it right, no?)

need advise on mixers/catridges/styli/headphones/etc...

as for mixer, looking for 3 band eq, 3channel+

trying not to spend too much more than my return... so quality for the money is key...

also, if you know of good sites to get good prices, let me know...

Justin, i'll save you the time and make a joke at my own expense: maybe my dj name should just be dj echostare... :tongue:

I don't have much (read: any) knowledge of this... so any help given is appreciated...

get a gram of *chanel*

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: