Clubplanet Nightlife Community

greek trance: the worst shit on the planet

i recently had the displeasure of hearing a greek friend of mine (who's actually from athens) play some shit some discobole records. seriously the worst shit i've ever heard its like tony draper on crack. what the fuck.

Originally posted by djjonstephen

The only time I really heard a Greek dj spinning trance at a club it was boarderline goa trance.............

I went to few GOA "Psychadelic" Trance Parties in Greece...All I could say is...:eek: :eek: :eek: The beats are sooooo FAST...it was almost like GOA Hardcore....and the people there...OMG :woah: :woah: .....they were a mix between British Punk Rockers/Metal Heads....it was strange....

Im not Greek but I used to hit a lot of Greek Cafes in Bayside and Astoria. 1 in particular Byzantios had a live dj ( Bayside ). He was Drapers boy and all but he played ill greek Beatz. Now I dont understand the words, cause I dont speak the language, but the music was pretty good. I also heard some Greek Compilation Tapes, Greek Trance uses a lot more instruments but its definetley worth a listen if your into all types of Electronica. :D:idea:

Originally posted by dr0ne

i recently had the displeasure of hearing a greek friend of mine (who's actually from athens) play some shit some discobole records. seriously the worst shit i've ever heard its like tony draper on crack. what the fuck.

as a european, perhaps i should defend the greeks, lol....seriously, i don't think that greeks have their own production of trance....if they do, i can only imagine how bad it is....they Love mixing folk songs (anything "ethno" goes in the souuth of europe) with club music, which i find unbearable...however, most of euro trance music is produced in germany, and from germany also comes the best avant-garde music at the moment, that is - electro-retro (see THE FACE, february 2002 on Dj hell). and lastly, trance is not very popular in europe for like 3 years....i thought it 's only played now in israel and goa....the popular styles are tech-house, elektro-retro, and disco-house (the last one become very mainstream and boring).....

Originally posted by zlatang

....the popular styles are tech-house, elektro-retro, and disco-house (the last one become very mainstream and boring).....

OMG...Disco-House EVERY club I went to in Greece was playing Disco-house... :puke: I was trying to FEEL it...BUT there was no way that was happening...

So finally after a lot of searching, I found a club called "PLUS SODA" and I was very happy....WOW!!!! I was very very happy!!!! They were playing amazing TRANCE!!!!:D They get some really Good DJs there...:D

Originally posted by glowgrlnyc

OMG...Disco-House EVERY club I went to in Greece was playing Disco-house... :puke: I was trying to FEEL it...BUT there was no way that was happening...

So finally after a lot of searching, I found a club called "PLUS SODA" and I was very happy....WOW!!!! I was very very happy!!!! They were playing amazing TRANCE!!!!:D They get some really Good DJs there...:D

well disco-house is not all bad, i think (think of bob sinclair and superdiscount compilation, for example) but it can certainly get cheesy + if you originally hate disco you can't like disco-house. another thing: usually poeple who like trance hate house and disco house because it sounds to "mellow"....and one can't argue about tastes, though we do it here all the time...:D

Originally posted by djjonstephen

The only time I really heard a Greek dj spinning trance at a club it was boarderline goa trance.............but then again each dj is different (most of the time) so who knows if the guy I heard was the exception or not.

he was playing shit off of discobole records which I understand is one of the biggest greek trance labels....he played shit by cherouvim, omni, nemesis and some other stuff. It sounded like tony draper if he spun cheesy trance as opposed to the fecal hard house he spins whack as fuck.

Originally posted by brickhouse

I'll agree that DJ Otzi is horrendous, and I'm not a big fan of trance in general, but I tend to find Greek trance much more tolerable than Turkish trance...

i thought otzi was german or austrian but anyway turkish trance is rough....the greek shit is like russian trance with this goa feel to it....i don't mind some goa even though it gets annoying sometimes, but that greek/russian shit is just sooooo obnoxious.