Clubplanet Nightlife Community

OT: Little bro's Track Results - 4/27

TRACK & FIELD - Men's Team Takes Third Place at Conference Meet

Buffalo State continued on the return road to prosperity on Saturday, with impressive showings at the SUNYAC Championships at Deitz Stadium in Kingston, NY. The men posted their highest finish in recent history with a third place showing, finishing behind only perennial powers Cortland and Geneseo. Although the women were unable to climb out of the eighth spot, they showed several fine individual efforts and gave Bengal supporters reason for optimism.

Led by the relay squad of John Lesure (Rochester/Greece-Athena), Eugene Overton (Syracuse/Corcoran), Aaron Kinard (Queens/Springfield Gardens), and Markus Allen (Commack/ St. John's the Baptist), who set a new SUNYAC Championship Record with an astounding first-place time of 42.31, Buffalo State earned four men's championships. Allen added two more first-place finishes to his resume, taking the top-spot in both the 100m (11.15) and 200m Dashes (22.20). Kinard tied for third in the 100m Dash (11.28) and second in the 200m Dash (22.30) and Dan Conti (West Seneca/Maryvale) grabbed fifth in the 100m with a time of 11.49. Lesure added a championship in the long jump, achieving a distance of 6.69m and grabbed third in the triple jump, leaping 13.59m.

Joe Niezgoda (Alden/Alden) added an impressive finish in the 3,000m Steeplechase, placing fourth with a time of 10:06.55. Luis Espinosa (Medina/Medina) had another remarkable competition earning second-place for his effort in the Shot Put (13.45m) and Perry Davis (Buffalo/Seneca) came in third in the High Jump (1.93m).

Yolande Francis (Buffalo/Riverside) led the way for the women, capturing the championship in the Javelin competition with a throw of 28.38m. She became the first Bengal female to win a SUNYAC Championship since 1999. Francis also claimed eighth in the High Jump competition, clearing a height of 1.43m. Autumn Hensel (Akron/Akron) also had a strong meet finishing third in the 400m Dash (1:00.41) and seventh in the 200m Dash (26.95). Nicole Rowland (Brooklyn/Stephen Austin) also scored for the Bengals with a sixth place finish in the 100m hurdles with a time of 17.34.

What's Next?

The Bengals will travel down Interstate 90 to Rochester this Saturday for the NYSCTC Championships to be held at University of Rochester.

More Goodies: Taken from the Buffalo State Athletic Dept - thanks guys! :)

BUFFALO STATE HONORS ATHLETES

AT ANNUAL AWARDS BANQUET

The Buffalo State Department of Intercollegiate Athletics held its annual Athletics Awards Banquet in conjunction with the Bengal Booster Club on Monday, April 29 at the Holiday Inn - Amherst.

The honored guests included the MVP's from Buffalo State's Athletics teams as well as several major and memorial award winners.

Basketball and volleyball player Monica Polka (Youngstown/Lewiston-Porter) earned the moniker of "Female Athlete of the Year." The two-sport star guided the Bengals' volleyball team to the SUNYAC semifinals and the school's best season since 1993. In the process she broke six individual school records and was named SUNYAC West Player of the Year. In the winter, she took to the hardwood and guided the Bengals to the SUNYAC Championship and a berth in the NCAA Playoffs. She was again recognized by the SUNYAC on the league's First Team and was honored as the MVP of the conference championship tournament.

Sprinter Markus Allen (Commack/St. John's the Baptist) and hockey player Todd Nowicki (Tonawanda/O'Hara) shared the honors of "Male Athlete of the Year." Allen led the Bengals to the team's highest finish ever in a major indoor track meet this past February with a third place finish at the SUNYAC Championships. Dating back to the outdoor season last spring, Allen earned two SUNYAC and five New York State Championships, as well as set a school and New York State meet record. In addition, he was named Most Outstanding Performer in Running Events at the New York State Indoor Championships.

Nowicki, who earned a share of the "Male Athlete of the Year Award", also won the Hube Coyer Award, presented to a male athlete for outstanding accomplishments during his career at Buffalo State. This past season, Nowicki became the first Bengal hockey All-American and was also the first to be named SUNYAC Player of the Year. The forward finished his career as the Bengals all-time leading scorer with 116 career points and currently owns seven school records. Nowicki capped off his senior season by leading Buffalo State to its first-ever berth in the SUNYAC playoffs.

Basketball player Chrissy Milleville (Niagara Falls/Niagara-Wheatfield) received the Ruth Houston Award, recognizing her career accomplishments. The four-year starter finished her stay with the Bengals as the school's fifth all-time leading scorer with 1,107 points and stands 10th with 473 rebounds. She was named SUNYAC Rookie of the Year for the 1998-99 season and finished her senior season as a Second Team All-Conference selection.

Milleville was also honored as the Female Scholar Athlete, an award that honors the senior-athlete with the highest cumulative grade point average. She holds a 3.57 GPA in dietetics and was a four-time SUNYAC scholar-athlete. The Male Scholar Athlete Award was presented to pole-vaulter Curtis Bachek (Bayport/Bayport-Blue Point). Bachek returned to the track team this season after undergoing brain surgery a year ago. The art education major holds a 3.91 GPA and is one of the best pole-vaulters in the SUNYAC.

Two memorial awards, the Daniel Walker Cross Country and the Robert Kissinger Swimming and Diving Awards, were also presented to student-athletes from the respective sports who exemplify an outstanding work ethic and commitment to the team and college. Colleen Scantlin (Scottsville/Wheatland-Chili) earned the Walker Award and Dan Hoefert (N. Tonawanda/N. Tonawanda) claimed the Kissinger.

The final major award was the Golden Bengal Award, which recognizes the member of the college community who goes beyond his or her job description to assist the athletics department. This year's recipient was Associate Director for Admissions Sandy Swinford.

The following is a list of Buffalo State's 2001-02 Most Valuable Players:

Men's Basketball - Pat Adams (Brooklyn/Boys and Girls)

Women's Basketball - Monica Polka (Youngstown/Lewistown-Porter)

Cheerleading - Danielle Link

Men's Cross Country - Tom Proctor (Niagara Falls/Niagara-Wheatfield) and

Jason Walsh (Hamburg/Frontier)

Women's Cross Country - Michelle Mackowiak (Eden/Eden)

Football (Offense) - Mike Stachewicz (Cheektowaga/Depew)

Football (Defense) - Erik Kraft (Bemus Point/Maple Grove)

Football (Special Teams) - Bo Sireika (Lackawanna/Lackawanna)

Men's Ice Hockey - Todd Nowicki (Tonawanda/O'Hara)

Women's Ice Hockey - Mary Keddie (Williamsville/Williamsville North)

Women's Lacrosse - Andrea Floriano (Tonawanda/Kenmore East)

Men's Soccer - Matt Romano (Eden/Eden)

Women's Soccer - Kim Nogle(Tonawanda/Tonawanda)

Softball - Tiffany Ciolek (Great Valley/Salamanca)

Men's Swimming and Diving - Matt Helming (Amherst/Sweet Home)

Women's Swimming and Diving - Leslie Seier (Palmyra/Palmyra-Macedon)

Women's Tennis - Melissa Kulju (N. Tonawanda/N. Tonawanda)

Men's Indoor Track & Field - Markus Allen (Commack/St. John's the Baptist)

Women's Indoor Track & Field - Autumn Hensel (Akron/Akron)

Men's Outdoor Track & Field - Markus Allen (Commack/St. John's the Baptist)

Women's Outdoor Track & Field - Autumn Hensel (Akron/Akron)

Women's Volleyball - Krista Wierzbicki (Cheektowaga/Maryvale)

- BENGALS -

Originally posted by totallytrance

good good...the times seems kind of slow though..:( but doesn't matter he got first ..!

Yeah...the times aren't even close to what he's capable of doing...weather has been shit upstate...hopefully he can qualify this weekend or I'll have to find a "Last Chance" meet for him.

is he in college or highshcool either way those times are mad slow but if he is taking first and what not good shit why didnt they run at the penn relays this past weekent that is where the competion is when i was in highschool we placed 5 in the world in the 4x800 meters running 7:51 we got beat by jamica,new york,texas,and ireland but that was when i was a junior my running days are far over now ran as a freshman on scholarship for new haven ct but stopped after my first year and tranfered out aiight well its cool to see someone on here that runs and shit tell him to keep trainning hard though shit will pay off it did for me

Originally posted by tjdj

is he in college or highshcool either way those times are mad slow but if he is taking first and what not good shit why didnt they run at the penn relays this past weekent that is where the competion is when i was in highschool we placed 5 in the world in the 4x800 meters running 7:51 we got beat by jamica,new york,texas,and ireland but that was when i was a junior my running days are far over now ran as a freshman on scholarship for new haven ct but stopped after my first year and tranfered out aiight well its cool to see someone on here that runs and shit tell him to keep trainning hard though shit will pay off it did for me

Not allowed to...conference championships!

He runs at a Div III school and he unfortunately runs down to the level of his competition. He's been on relays in Junior College and ran 40.18, 1:23:10 (took 6th at Penn Relays that year in the Championship of America Race) and 3:10...competition brings out the best in him...getting him to good meets is the problem...Penn is cool though - waaaaaaaaaay back when I was in college, we took 8th in the 4x800 - I think we ran 7:27 - gotta check to make sure.

yeah track is def a fun and time consuming sport it is something that will live with me forever i am only a soph in college now but i stopped running last year my days were in highschool god luck to him though for real not alot of people no how hard running is

Originally posted by tjdj

yeah track is def a fun and time consuming sport it is something that will live with me forever i am only a soph in college now but i stopped running last year my days were in highschool god luck to him though for real not alot of people no how hard running is

...I think I do 5 hours of practice a day!!! :idea: