Clubplanet Nightlife Community

how to master a demo?

pangelid

Ok, where does one begin to learn the basics on how to master a demo/song? Is there a tutorial around the net I should be reading?

I've gotten to the point where I feel some of the demo's I record need to get mastered, but I don't really know where to begin. Any help would be appreciated!

EQ Magazine is a good resource for audio engineering info. You also might wanna look into purchasing an ear training cd set to help you learn about eq, phase, compression, etc.

The easiest way to probably do it would be just to pick out a track that has the same type of sound quality that you're after, play it over the speakers you'll be mastering your own track on, and then use SoundForge or T-RackS to tweak your mix and try to match the quality to the track you're using as a reference. Switch back and forth listening between the two tracks until you feel your track closely resembles the audio quality of your reference track.