Clubplanet Nightlife Community

My concerns about Vinyl getting Phazon

At first thought, wow...this is going to be incredible. The best DJs on the best system, in my favorite club. But wait a second...upgrading to Phazon and changing the name...hmmm...sounds fishy.

I have heard rumors that they are trying to turn Vinyl into a super club. These facts only point in that direction. I have to admit, when I think of a superclub I don't usually think of the great vibe and underground feel of Vinyl. That is truly what makes Vinyl so great. I have to admit, I more than just a little concerned that it will lose those apsects if it turns into a superclub. I would think it will become more mainstream. Thats not a good thing.

Do you think these concerns are grounded or am I just worrying a little too much here?

Dun worry.. I cant quite picture Vinyl becoming a "superclub". At least not at their current location.. :D

Besides, I dont think they would do that to their loyal patrons. The Phazon will just make it kick ass even more.

Bindra now owns vinyl, so thats why the changes are taking such a fast pace also I don't know how much longer danny will be there with tenth st coming up soon so far the changes are minimal but I think they are for the better

my concerns about vinyl becoming a "superclub"...

eh. It's a tad on the small side but with the stage gone and the speakers pushed back there's more than enough floor space to accomodate "too" many people. It's lost that living room feel.

I honestly wouldn't mind Phazon at vinyl. there are a lot of dead spots in the room where the sound is crap and even at the better ones, their sound system is outdated and it really hurts my ears. I don't mind at all listening to house on a clearer system. In fact that actually may help things.

Originally posted by cintron

eh. It's a tad on the small side but with the stage gone and the speakers pushed back there's more than enough floor space to accomodate "too" many people. It's lost that living room feel.

I honestly wouldn't mind Phazon at vinyl. there are a lot of dead spots in the room where the sound is crap and even at the better ones, their sound system is outdated and it really hurts my ears. I don't mind at all listening to house on a clearer system. In fact that actually may help things.

I agree about that "living room feel"...

They could use a new sound system... as for a superclub... Twilo was considered a superclub and it wasn't all that large, they just brought in awesome talent. I don't think Vinyl could ever reach that status, but I think it could be improved in many ways.

Originally posted by cintron

yep. vinyl's changed for the better and worse. on one hand, you got Phazon comin in, but on another it has lost some of its underground feel. i used to go there late late at night and there would be no line, and the vibe inside was amazing. lately, i've encountered long lines, a more SF type crowd, and the space inside even changing.

i dont have anything against SF, i was just there this last sat, but its just that when i used to go to vinyl i expected somthing different. i actually liked it more before the started getting all these international DJs int here.

why don't they just clean the place up and get nice security and maybe if i could get a beer in there - maybe it would not be just a after hours .

then put the sound system in - and phazon beening the best (good pr that is)

ask any knowlegeable sound engineer and there tell you it worked in twilo really well , but beening the best in the world -come on ...

then twilo's security were always looking to punch people about ...

Originally posted by musichead

why don't they just clean the place up and get nice security and maybe if i could get a beer in there - maybe it would not be just a after hours .

then put the sound system in - and phazon beening the best (good pr that is)

ask any knowlegeable sound engineer and there tell you it worked in twilo really well , but beening the best in the world -come on ...

then twilo's security were always looking to punch people about ...

Fully agree about Twilo's security. Then again what good did even that do them in the end.

About vinyl... it's supposed to be a lil gritty and grungy. that's the underground feel. If you want clean, couches and glam, check Roxy. Vinyl isn't about that - it's a hard minimal club meant to be bare-bones. Lots of people always say "oh it should be cleaner and there should be a dress code and they should serve alcohol...."

but that so ruins the tradition of the club. It's a place where music is king, and nothing else is left to distract you from that purpose. I suppose if that doesn't suit your tastes then the club may not be the right one for you

Why do clubs have to be dirty to be underground - i've been in the dirty and the music was underground - and i've been where there was there was no care in the venue production ete .

i've been to glamour clubs and there fun too .. not all of them ,but i wish people could believe even people who dress can be mad about music as well.

peace and love

and for people interested in a few events

check a couple of juggernaut events that i'm doing

23rd may @ centro-fly dj's :

Adam freeland ,Ashley casselle,Terry casey

LOUD' North American Tour @ Bowery Ballroom

Date :Saturday 25th May 2002

Artists Performing :

Timo Maas featuring MC Chickaboo

Starecase (Soundsystem)

Leon Alexander

Bowery Ballroom : 6 Delancey st , Corner of bowery ,New York

Tickets: $25 Ages:18 & Over

Tickets Available From Mercury Lounge Box Office - 217 East Houston . Phone 212-260-4700

On-line @ www.ticketweb.com

Timo Maas Debut album 'LOUD' Featuring 14 brand new original tracks out now on Kinetic Records.

For More Details About this show and other Juggernaut events

Contact Juggernaut on Info@juggernaut.to or Web-site: www.jugggernaut.to

vynil stopped being "underground" a very, very long time ago. . .

In my opinion soon as shelter left. . .what was that, begining of this year or so, it only started getting "noticed even more by a diff. crowd" and with the removal of the torn leather couches, gritty stages and such, the "underground/ living room feel" was lost as well. . .but its still my home

Originally posted by fourplay

Dun worry.. I cant quite picture Vinyl becoming a "superclub". At least not at their current location.. :D

Besides, I dont think they would do that to their loyal patrons. The Phazon will just make it kick ass even more.

I think Vinyl will retain a bit of the underground feel so long as they don't start serving alcohol. I think that does a lot to define the type of people who go there.

I took this from somewhere else:

I got this from the body and soul board:

From our conversations with the new management company, we have been informed that the club will NOT close during the renovations or even for the installation of the new sound system.

All work is being carried out piece by piece during the weekdays so as to not disrupt any of the events at Vinyl.

If you have been to the club over the last 2 weeks you have seen small changes such as the removal of the stage and during the next week the kitchen area will be opened up to increase the size of the dancefloor and to accomodate the new Phazon rig arriving in June.

Incidentally the system will be installed and FULLY maintained by Steve Dash.

The floor where the stage used to be will be repaired with new wooden slats and the talk is now to create a pull out stage underneath the DJ booth.

The club will undergo many more changes both to the structure as well as be completely recarpeted and redecorated.

The area where the Tee shirts are located will be transformed into a proper store facility with dedicated lighting and glass cabinets to display products.

We also understand that they are seeking to get the license for Beer and wine re-instated which from a business standpoint makes a lot of sense.

These changes are long overdue and welcomed.

We wish the new managers the very best and look forward to having a space we can all be proud of.

JD