Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Ny Needs An All Techno, House, Trance Etc. Radio.......

Screw that. Commercial radio will always bite due to rotations, ascap fees, royalties, etc etc. There's no way they'll start up a station that only plays stuff that they don't have deals with the labels on. What really sucks is this whole internet radio tax that's being added now. Right now it's in a period where the FCC can still repeal it for the next month, so if it seems to be killing off a lot of stations, hopefully they'll repeal the damn thing...

Brickhouse, I disagree with you. Yes Labels and the big music companies pay money to these radio stations to put there songs on. But ratings are the most important thing. Advertisers look at the ratings of a radio station, to see how much they will pay to put there ad on. Take 92.7. They play house and dance music from 9pm to 11pm on Sunday Night. DJ Chris Da Greek is the DJ for those 2 hours. They have the highest rated show during those 2 hours on Sunday. Chris plays music that no Label is promoting. I guarantee you, 92.7 is making a killing on advertisement dollars, since there the highest rated show for those 2 hours.

Originally posted by danwilson

Brickhouse, I disagree with you. Yes Labels and the big music companies pay money to these radio stations to put there songs on. But ratings are the most important thing. Advertisers look at the ratings of a radio station, to see how much they will pay to put there ad on. Take 92.7. They play house and dance music from 9pm to 11pm on Sunday Night. DJ Chris Da Greek is the DJ for those 2 hours. They have the highest rated show during those 2 hours on Sunday. Chris plays music that no Label is promoting. I guarantee you, 92.7 is making a killing on advertisement dollars, since there the highest rated show for those 2 hours.

Sure they can afford to have a few hours of non-promoted radio, especially if the ratings are high, but once it's steadily available and people don't tune in at a specific time just to get their fix, it really wouldn't be profitable. Besides, the fact that a few hours a day might even be dedicated to non-mainstream music doesn't mean that the labels won't stop paying their taxes for them, along with making agreements that they don't have to pay royalties to the artists. However, if you cut out big labels altogether, then things start to get really expensive really fast. The unfortunate part is that the FCC has basically set up a system where you need to rely on the labels to get your fees paid off, and if not, then you need to be government funded and follow the FCC's own stricter set of regulations to qualify for that, not to mention running charity drives and attempting to get extra state funding.

That's what my concern from the internet radio comes from. Starting today, the FCC is in a test period of regulating internet radio and requiring them to pay royalties. We have yet to see if this will be enforced, and as I said before, it's just a test period and it can still be repealed for the next month, but if it is enforced it will be economically unfeasible to have an internet radio station not already owned by clearchannel, infinity, or these other huge radio gurus who already contracted their way out of paying royalties.

Either way, if some old fart doesn't like the music, all it takes is one congressman to bitch and moan about some techno radio station polluting the airwaves before the FCC launches an investigation, and I guarantee you even those smaller mix shows (like the one you described) violate numberous copywrite laws if anyone really wanted to get rid of it.

That's all for now....

. . . you also have to keep in mind that 92.7 is one of the FEW stations that's not owned by Clear Channel or any of the other 3 giants in the industry . . . They're local owned, the emphasis being on LOCAL, which gives them the mentality, and the desire to operate in a more . . .I guess you could call it "real" way. . . (although, their selection of electronic leans on the cheezy side, no doubt due to Andre and the fact that its . . well . . Long Island . . ) . . . Brickhouse is correct on this subject, it's all the labels and the radio networks. . . Radio has, in effect become network television . . .

Brickhouse, i think your wrong. The money radio stations get from Labels, is small, compared to the money they make from the Advertisement dollars.

No, actually, radio ads aren't very expensive. On the other hand, labels slipping cash to stations is called payola, and has been a popular practice (now illegal) since the Radio industry was in its infancy. Nowadays, the labels have circumvented the law and gets the cash to stations through intermediaries. Nonetheless, it's a booming practice.

Don't make the mistake of thinking that ad dollars are the only drivers of radio station revenue.

It would be nice...

I still think that instead of that damn satellite radio crap that they should just make a unit with a modem in it so that you can get streaming radio from any of your favorite websites in your car... now that would be cool.

Any inventive geniuses out there who can manage making something like this?