Clubplanet Nightlife Community

"electroklash"

patrickl

If you've been reading the music mags of late, you've seen this term thrown around. Like dominos falling, they have been publishing articles about this "new scene" one after the other - this month the new Muzik has an article, last month it was Mixmag and then Ministry before that.....the domestic mags have been covering it as well. What do you guys think? Have you been hearing all the critically acclaimed releases this "genre" has been spitting out? Fischerspooner, Felix Da Housecat, Miss Kittin & The Hacker, Adult, Ladytron, among others? I know electro and new wave never really went away, but this stuff really seems to be coalescing into a bona fide movement lately......so what's the verdict here? Exciting next big thing or reheated old hash? Personally, I haven't been this excited about music since my Australian friend introduced me to Orbital, Underworld and the Chemical Brothers in the summer of 1996. To me, this stuff manages to borrow the best elements of 80s electropop/new wave, Kraftwerk, Detroit techno, IDM, and punk into something that I'm finding really compelling. Maybe this is the huge Depeche Mode fan in me commandeering my music taste for a while, but I just can't get enough! And yes, lame pun was intended.