Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Bigshot DJ headspotting night @ Shelter review

So yeah,

10 PM sharp, I march up to the doors of Shelter, see JayP and Shadowchaser (and absolutely nobody else). March up to the rooftop, and see people hanging around munching weiners and all that good shit. For the next hour or so, we chilled on the rooftop, and our convos went something like this...

JayP: "check out Christian Smith over there"

me: "where"

JayP: "over there, in the jean jacket"

me: "oh, cool"

*five minutes later*

me: "dude, that Roger Sanchez?"

JayP: "yeah man"

me: "cool"

*ten minutes later*

JayP: "hmm, John Selway just walked in"

me: "hmm...cool"

So basically there was a big ass industry bbq fest on the rooftop at Shelter. Woulda been pretty cool had I actually knew how to schmooze. Oh well...

Music wise, Emerson didn't mix that well, apparently. I didn't notice cuz I am dumbass, and his track selection was actually pretty damn good.

JayP, Shadowchaser, Saigray, Lanie, Scumfrog (good to meet you :) )MarciD, Clubkat, JoeG, DJ Jon...and other people that I missed...it was an absolute pleasure *salute*.

eh... gotta get some sleep...

Originally posted by mjr203

so how is the roof for those of us who were tired after watching Star Bores (yoda exception noted)

It was fun, just hanging out and chatting w/ people. It was packed because they sealed off half the roof for the new air conditioning system. Then again, that's a good trade-off. I actually saw quite a bit of people from NB (I think). Guessing you weren't one of 'em...

All in all, music-wise and people-wise, not bad for ten bucks.

I have in previous posts noted my objections to Shelter's pathetic alcohol delivery systems (aka bars).

Small mixed drinks, overpriced, shitty plastic cups, bad drink mixing. Last time I was there for Deep Dish the downstairs (Moroccan room) bartender did not even have a bar glass (Metal part and pint glass) to do proper martini or otherwise mixing in. I mean come on.

Still they keep making improvements. Was Erick Morillo working the grill? :)

Originally posted by mjr203

Still they keep making improvements. Was Erick Morillo working the grill? :)

Oh I wish.

The five minutes that I was downstairs outside, I saw Morillo walking around with a chefs hat. But the grill on the roof was manned by this old guy.

No offense to the old guy or anything, but I was kinda looking forward to having me some morillo burgers :D

Eh...the night was ok...the company was def the best thing about it... :love:

. . . I'd like to hear JayP or Jon's review of last night (hint hint). All I know is I heard some trainwreckage at least 3 times. . . and that first one we all heard...kinda messed up the vibe Emerson was starting up ((the whole right side of the dance floor stood still for like 20 min)) But on the flip side there were some good tracks dropped....like the Bushwack vocal that Nathan ran upstairs ((knocking innocent bystanders on their asses)) to hear :tongue: . . .and that jazzy type of track he dropped. . . I have no clue what it was but I was def feeling it. . .

Originally posted by marcid21

the Bushwack vocal that Nathan ran upstairs ((knocking innocent bystanders on their asses)) to hear :tongue: . . .

:laugh: :laugh:

this classic move sponsored in part by, Xpander, knocking clubgoers on their asses daily.

Originally posted by clubkat

this classic move sponsored in part by, Xpander, knocking clubgoers on their asses daily.

lol, I think nathan was the highlight of the night...

between the patented Xpander Fluidâ„¢ & knocking half of the chillout room on their ass and flying up the stairs... I propably got more entertainment value out of him, than anything else!

:D

yeah....

so i was REALLY looking forward to this....

but i got kinda let down

melvin moore opened up nice, playing a trifle harder than usual.

then emerson came on. let moore's last record play out

wrecked his first mix

nailed his second

wrecked his third

nailed his fourth and fifth

then the sound cut out.

it seems mr. morillo doesnt like the mixer in shelter so they use another one on thursdays and ther cable broke

so then they got the sound back up a minute later but it was entirely too loud and chunky. clear though...

then emerson's programming just kinda went poo. great tracks, but played in a wacky order. morillo came on around 3:30, and when i heard la la land it was my cue to bail.

so all in all emerson was great when he wasnt mixing. tons of energy up there, but relatively bittersweet after all is said and done.