Clubplanet Nightlife Community

"detention" review (post-rave review!)

weyes

all right, it's over. the lights are on, go home.

well, here's my review of "detention," kids. it was like i've come to know cali raves to be, these days, at least. hyped up to be better than it was, but let me just focus on the location and circumstances, really, 'cause the dj pr has nothing to do with this party in particular. 26c was talkin' about great "school-themed" murals from floor to ceiling, an area where someone was to be giving painting instruction (!), and all sorts of great nonsense. i don't care about decorations, but it irks me when they go on and on about them as a selling point and then don't deliver. it was at this absolute dump of a place downtown (not far from where i live) called orion, and all i can say about that place is that it taught me this: when you mix the strong smell of piss - in places other than the bathroom, mind you - with some bad weed smoke, it smells just like grapefruit. (can anybody here guess any fruit that weyes might also not care for?)

the flyer advertised that the first 500 (changed from 250) people dressed in a school theme would get a goodie bag of some sort, so i got there early-ish, wearing a black tank top with "a +" written on it in chalk and an apple for the "teacher." the party started at 7, and i got there at about 8. the line didn't move for more than an hour, the sun setting, and my tank-top wearing ass getting cold, yo. by the time i got to the front of the line, i had given my apple to a homeless guy, and didn't give a shit about asking for prizes, 'cause i wanted to get everyone in as fast as possible. they were confiscating everything at the door: gum, lip balm, disposable cameras, and the glowsticks that some kids had been selling outside the party. they did let me put all of my shit in my car, so that was something...

time just crawled all night. space girl was to go on at 3, and all of the other djs sucked so hard they left hickeys. all, that is, except for a guy in the house room who had played a bit of peter gabriel's "sledgehammer" and was getting into a kickass groove with mj's "wanna be starting something" when he was cut off by some asshole dj whose genre is known, i believe, as "thump, thump, thump, snore." no transistions between djs all night, people. just on-off. omigod. the longest six hours ever.

the two things i really haven't missed about raves: being treated like a criminal and djs who can't even match beats. and, take note, that i used the plural form of "dj." where did they find these jokers? although, in raves' defense, that shit would never have gone down in new york. part of it, i think, is because these are all-ages parties, which means, basically, a place for kids with too much disposable income to go and freely do so many drugs ('cause they don't yet understand that the body has limits) that they don't even notice how bad the music is or that they're paying $2 for gum.

so, as i did go alone, i went out to the patio to see if i could chat with people and such. i finally did take up with a really cute guy (even though i had ended up playing my least favorite game: "gee, you were cuter in the dark," he was still pretty cute) and we ended up hanging out together for most of the night. after we got separated, though, i was stuck with some other guys who were too young and too fucked up and who i did not need hitting on me. my guy and i, at least, were having constant banter all night. i rather liked him, though i wouldn't tell him how old i am.

space girl kicked ass. i was surprised that i can still dance to her music; it's been so long that i've seen her or heard anything hard like that. but i loved her. she was worth it all. and i wish they hadn't taken my camera.

after the party, i said goodbye to the other guy i was with at the time, and took up with my original cute guy. i had thought that he might've needed a ride, and he did, to union station. we did the ever-popular "cracked out drive" (or, at least, that's what it felt like, to me, behind the wheel) through a mc'd's drive-thru and then i waited with him at the station till his train came, even though that meant i had to spend $8 on parking. i only wish that he hadn't monopolized the last 20 minutes of our discussion, and with talk of his buddies drinking beer and fighting. i kinda just wanted to sit down and lean on him for a while and be happy that he wasn't a creep.

and here's something i learned last night, too: i can tell the difference between the sweethearts and the animals. i don't know if it's just that they were obvious last night, that they're just obvious at raves, or that i've finally come to know, but i'm hoping it's the last one of those.

and i came with that floating, confident feeling of a night well-navigated. it all got better when i put in some effort and got resourceful. i spent the day watching movies with my roommate, who woke up @ 9 or so (i got home at 1/4 to), and then i finally went to sleep at 6 for 4 hours.

and i feel so renewed, after some crunchy treats, (sg's) phat-ass beats, and non-creeps. so yummy - i only wish they could get into spundae.

Originally posted by weyes

all right, it's over. the lights are on, go home.

it was at this absolute dump of a place downtown (not far from where i live) called orion, and all i can say about that place is that it taught me this: when you mix the strong smell of piss - in places other than the bathroom, mind you - with some bad weed smoke, it smells just like grapefruit. (can anybody here guess any fruit that weyes might also not care for?)

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

LMFAO

OMG, gee well, ge it sux that overall the night was shity, thats what I've become to expect at raves, some are good some are bad, some surprise you, but in general the crowd is young, and like you mention lots of kids taking excessive amounts of drugs...and of course al that stuff with staff, the location, etc.

but at least you got to go to tha rave, something that youve been looking fwd. for a long time, and got to see space girl and got to meet that guy you were hanging out with for part of the evening.

i myself will be suffering from dancing withdrawl as I didnt go out this week and will likely have to pass up on Starscape (a rave in B'more who laot of the DC people will go, because of fundage) :(

thanks for sharing, weyes, I'm sorry it wasn't all it was cracked up to be; I admit, they sure did sell me on it, I was planning to go but I was stuck at Highlands (which, btw, has DJ's who think they're playing a wedding on a cruise ship (top 40 remixes, alot of 80's... Madonna's "Holiday" ???) and nobody wanted to head downtown...

Never heard of Spacegirl, she out of NYC?

I've also noticed the lack of basic DJ abilities (beat-matching, etc) lately here at several events recently. Maybe cause I just got back from Europe and am spoiled, but what irks me more than hearing one trainwreck after another is the fact that people DON"T CARE/ NOTICE!! Is everyone on drugs? In NY even a bad club like Limelight will find a fake ID carrying newbie hollering at the DJ, and here, well... I'm off my soapbox.

even after all of the shitty things about the rave, i still had a fun time. but that's the way raves have always been for me. there's just an element of the surreal that always goes along with a rave, and it's always an adventure.

at some point, when i was sober, i was outside on the "patio" - an alley, really - and talking to some people. the basic setup of the alley was this: a bench along one wall, and a wall upon which people were leaning. i was leaning on the wall with my little group when a :drunk::hat: :roll:ing his ASS off approached us and asked, "what's the line for?" at first, we had no idea what he was talking about, because, of course, it was a ridiculous notion that was only in his squinty-eyed, tongue-chewing little head. finally, the girl i was talking to said, "ice cream!" and he got so excited he nearly wet his furry pants. luckily, he didn't get disappointed to learn that there wasn't any, because he forgot what she said about ten seconds after she said it. it's things like these that make shitty parties great, that make my evening. and meeting kids who introduce themselves with names like "nickel" and "batman" do a good job, too.

and even today i'm still thinking about my cute boy. okay, he was a little simple, but it was endearing. and he was too young, but i so wanted to spend more time with him. i wouldn't've minded spending the rest of the day with him, cuddled up somewhere. color me a cradle-robber.

Originally posted by sebastianxy

Never heard of Spacegirl, she out of NYC?

and yes, space girl is based in nyc. my friend mick the omniscient tells me she is to be in san fran in july, though, for what that's worth. she does have some stuff down on disc and whatnot, but it's really awful - i mean, it really doesn't do her justice. i bought both her cds and i never listen to either. you absolutely have to see her live. but her website is just as lovely as she is; she's a beautiful woman. check it out at www.spacegirlmusic.com .

have you tried DL her stuff on AG....well I'll download it and listen to it and see 'sup with Spacegirl. I guess your talkin' aboiout Spacegirl has peaked my curiosity.

I really need professional help, ever since I got DSL last week, I've been glued to my computer DL stuff..its sad :(

weird people you usually meet at raves :)

Originally posted by vicman

have you tried DL her stuff on AG....well I'll download it and listen to it and see 'sup with Spacegirl. I guess your talkin' aboiout Spacegirl has peaked my curiosity.

I really need professional help, ever since I got DSL last week, I've been glued to my computer DL stuff..its sad :(

there's more than one space girl out there, though; i tried to download some of her stuff off of AG and i got some cheesy shit that wasn't my space girl's. but, seriously, all of her recorded stuff that i've heard has not only been not as good as seeing her live, but has been actually BAD. so you really won't get an accurate idea of my girl's capabilites.