Clubplanet Nightlife Community

are you religious?

Originally posted by shadygroovedc

When I'm feeling especially agnostic, I think all the miracles and visions throughout history that religions use to validate themselves were actually drug induced. One example is the Mormons. And I don't mean to offend Mormons with blasphemy, but I'm just trying to put a logical explanation to history. So the Mormons say these dudes were walking in the woods and they came across an angel who gave them gold plates with scriptures. Sounds like a really good trip to me.

Native Americans would go smoke themselves silly in the wilderness and have visions. They never thought that the smoke may be making them hallucinate, rather than the spirits.

Speaking from personal experience, I have had some of the most significant spirtual experience through hallucinagins. I recognize where the drug has its influence, but anyone who has ever tripped knows that it is a very introspective drug, and whether you believe you are actually speaking to a higher power, spirit, or to yourself, it's the outcome which is most important.

As far as American Indians (I hate the term Native Amerivan. It's a government term used to generally classify a but of specific sects of people. Did you know that Hawaiians and Eskimos are native americans too? Hell, so am I. I was born hear. I'm Native to America, dammit!), peyote is only one for of a vision quest, and not all tribes use it, since it grows in specific parts of the world. These vision quests are also accomplished through prayer, meditation, fasting, sweat lodges, and the like. I have participtated in several sweat lodges, and it's not the drugs that bring across the visions. It's the energy and faith. The strongest power we as humans have is the power of belief, and people can do some pretty amazing things with that (when it is true and not perverted for some other means). Catholics have their own for of vision quests. When they count the roseary beads, and repeat the prayer over and over. I'm not sure what it is called, but it is the exact same process that Indians, who have been deemed by certain religions as hethens, use for some of their meditative purposes.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the drugs i have done have definitely changed the way i see the world for the better. if i hadn't done them, i would not be who i am today.

I left the board to do some actual work and I come back to find the interesting turn it has taken...

I totally agree with the statement above. I know it may sound cliche, but before I experiemented I was a different person. I was not as open-minded as I am now. In fact, I think you can definitely tell who has "expanded their mind" and who has not when you meet people. People who refrain often seem more uptight and stuck to their opinions. They are less likely to see things through someone elses eyes.

I am speaking from my experinces and am in no way trying to offend someone. My old room mate is the uptight person of whom I am speaking. She was disapporving of anyone that did things differently than herself. I never understood that perspective.

As for PB&J...I love peanut butter and strawberry preserves! YUM!