Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Help! Moving to LA ... Need some info

labound

Hi! I'm in the process of planning my move from NY to LA ... my girlfriend will be atteding CalPoly @ Pomona so I'm thinking it would be best to get an apartment right in Pomona ... does anyone have any information about Pomona or the surrounding towns? ... also, being from NY a vehicle has never been necessary -- will I be able to use mass transportation like the Metro to get to LA from Pomona and to travel within the city itself? What sections of LA are "good"? Where would it be best to look for a bartending/waiter job? How far are the beaches from LA? In the Zagat Survey they list many restaurants as having "california" style food ... what does that mean? And of course ... what are the clubs like (ie. style of electronic music, vibe, crowd, lighting, sound system, etc) and which ones are the best in your opinion?

... being from NY is making me very nervous about hating LA so I'm trying to gather as much backround info as possible ... thank you in advance for any information

Originally posted by labound

-- will I be able to use mass transportation like the Metro to get to LA from Pomona and to travel within the city itself?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

damn that was funny...sorry chap, no mass transportion to speak of here, unless you are looking to go from universal city to long beach or the airport...you will definitely need wheels if you expect to live in pomona but work/play in la

Where would it be best to look for a bartending/waiter job?

get in line with all the actors that haven't gotten their break yet

i was gonna say something about the car at the top of my reply, but gumby beat me to it :) ...

i'm from new york, and absolutely love it here, then again i was really hating new york. but you have to come here with an open mind and not expect to hate it, or you will make sure to notice all the differences between the cities - whether they be good or bad - and let the shock overwhelm you, throwing you off before you can really settle in and let yourself adjust and adapt, giving this place a fair chance.

as for where to live, anyone who knows me'll tell you that i never know where i am; sorry to be of no help there. but the beaches are in actual parts of l.a.: santa monica, venice, and other places... one thing to always remember is that this place is hella s p r e a d o u t. loads o' neighborhoods, all l.a. (silver lake, century city), unlike nyc, where we really go by boroughs. yeah, there's chelsea, there's bensonhurst, but you'd just say "manhattan," or "brooklyn," to outsiders - 'cause those neighborhoods are so small.

as for where to go out, there are so many threads on this, though i don't really know the answer to that. but beyond our two big ones, i don't go anywhere else or really care about anywhere else. i'm not into the lounge or bar scene, myself, just the big ol' djs who come 'round and such :) . they're at spundae and giant. www.spundae.com and www.giantclub.com . giant's last big event was paul van dyk, which they screwed up big time; if you go back a page or two on the l.a. board (i think) you'll find the review on that. anyway, giant doesn't have a permanent home and goes from place to place, all of their locations being not so hot. i love spundae, though; it's really laid-back, not pretentious at all, and the people there are really nice and just there to have a good time. fun, like all of this whatnot we love so much was always supposed to be in the first place. but i think that a lot of venues and people have lost sight of that.

anycrap, that's all i've got for you, for now, at least. welcome :) !