Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Portable MP3 Player?

shroomy

Anyone have a good recomendation for a portable MP3 player?

I am looking for a small one that most importantly will allow you to eliminate the time gap between the tracks.

Nothing is more anoying than running and have one track end and have a one second gap before the next track begins.

I have a RIO 800 or something.......wouldn't recommend it - cuts out all the time and the software sux. Get as much memory as you can afford; you'd be surprised how big the files are on some of those dance tracks!

this all depends on what your needs are:

- if you want to store a whole bunch of music, then you should go with a hard-drive based player like the Archos Jukebox or the Apple ipod. I have the Archos and it's awesome for me as I travel alot and I can store 30-40 full live sets on it (6GB, you can get it up to 40GB). The one problem is that there is a 2MB hard drive cache that sometimes freezes for a few seconds while updating the cache - which would defeat your purposes described above. cost: approx. $250-500, depending on make and memory size.

- if you just want to store singles and/or maybe 1-2 sets, go with a flash/smartmedia-based player, of which there are many to choose from. usually 64-128 MB, these do not have a cache, and the stream is more reliable. cost: $75-200, depending on several factors...

as for eliminating the time gap between tracks, i do not know much about this from the hardware-side as i listen mostly to sets - i think most players have a setting that allows you to do this. Also, perhaps mp3 converter/joining software can help you with this?

hope this helps...

Guest saleen351

you can now use the Ipod on windows....... see cnet.com for reviews, most times its not the gap from track to track but just the way the track was recorded.

Thanks guys,

I want (another) one for running mainly so the HD systems are out due to size.

You would think one of them would have an option to not put a pause between the tracks so if you rip a compilation CD it will play continuously, but I have not been able to find one.

Obviously if Winamp can do it a portable one should be able to also.

I think I may get the yepp sport, 128MB and very small.

Guest saleen351
Originally posted by shroomy

Thanks guys,

I want (another) one for running mainly so the HD systems are out due to size.

You would think one of them would have an option to not put a pause between the tracks so if you rip a compilation CD it will play continuously, but I have not been able to find one.

Obviously if Winamp can do it a portable one should be able to also.

I think I may get the yepp sport, 128MB and very small.

ipod has upgradeable firm ware, so i'm sure someone will have an option but why don't you just rip the tracks at track at once then upload it to the player? that will do the trick...

Get one that has an upgradable firmware option. MP3 isn't gonna reign supreme for long, some other format will come about that is smaller and better...you don't want to have to junk your player 2 years from now.

The Ipod is just too damn big and heavy. Its 5 times the size of the yepp or similar non hd modles.

Im not too concerned about having it for years, I figure in a couple of years Ill just be able to have a chip implated in my tooth or something.

as for ripping all the tracks at once, its kind of a pain in the ass, and not to mention that you cant jump to the various songs or skip over the ones you dont want to hear.