Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Museum Recommendations...

aiight ppl its that time again... if you had a couple days and wanted to go to some museums... which would you go to? and out of curiousity is there a museum about NewYork? like nostalgic pics and stories and blah... thanks! ttyl...

dont know about NY-themed ones, but I recently went to the Whitney museum and it was awesome. Once a month on a friday afternoon/evening they have a dj spinning downstairs, you can grab cocktails and check out their once-every-two-years modern art display. very very cool.

wow you read my mind I was thinking about doing that this week..... def have to hit up the Met....see some of my favorite renaissance paintings... The Cloisters are really cool love the architecture... I'm not big on modern art but if the MOMA or the Gugenheim are having an interesting exhibit I'll go.... I miss the Tate in London...great pre-Raphaelite paintings

Originally posted by snoozi8

wow you read my mind I was thinking about doing that this week..... def have to hit up the Met....see some of my favorite renaissance paintings... The Cloisters are really cool love the architecture... I'm not big on modern art but if the MOMA or the Gugenheim are having an interesting exhibit I'll go.... I miss the Tate in London...great pre-Raphaelite paintings

clearly you know a whole lot more about this than I do...

I've been to the Frick....if I remember correctly it's a personal collection.......... yeah check it out

haha BG I've been going to museums since I can remember I used to oil paint and sketch I miss it haven't been to one in a while

anyone want to go now that you've got me thinking about it????

just no naughty business behind the statues kids..

does anyone have a favorite painting or paintings?

when I was in high school I studied it in depth in a Arts & Humanities course, and in college Art History I just love it was almost a visual arts major but went for performing instead I like to lose myself in it sometimes

the american folk art museum is all that...

for the most part, i can't stand museums or folk art for that matter...

but the pieces in this joint are so bare-bones that you don't get distracted and can really focus on how much depth a piece of art can bring to the table...

on top of that, the architecture of the space is amazing.

The met is def my fave, i never get tired of it. The moma is alright like when it has some special exhibit, such as the piccasso one a few years back, though it usually isnt my thing. also has some nice van gough paintings. :D

i Love museums and for some reason, i haven't been to ONE in nyc yet... it's almost an Nyc thing tho.. when you live in a huge city, it's as if you don't take advantage of what it has to offer... but now that i'm in london, and have done the sightseeing and i'm doing the museums and all, i smack myself in the forehead because i've been missing so much culture in nyc thru the museums, galleries,.. even things like sightseeing-- i've Never been to the statue of liberty, ellis island or the empire state building for god's sake!! but i don't think it's a bad thing bc now i think i'm the perfect age to really appreciate everything nyc has to offer and i'm def. going to take full advantage of it when i get back... :cool::D

and speaking of museums, i recently went to the Atlantis Gallery in London to see an exhibit called "Body Worlds" ---it was the SCARIEST shit i EVER SAW IN MY LIFE--it was dead bodies, plastinated (simply put, drenched in acetate and formaldehyde then coated in this clear plastic mixture to preserve them exactly the way they are.....but SKINNED...:eek: ) and the bodies weren't behind glass or anything.. there were just positioned right in front of you and even tho you were allowed to touch them, i had to.. i couldn't resist, i'm too curious-- here's the website, you HAVE to check out what they look like..

BODY WORLDS GALLERY there's a picture of one of the bodies, holding his own skin (complete body skin) in his hands..... :jawdrop:

i can't even describe.. they even had infants, FETUSES (from 1 week to 7 weeks old in glass jars :eek: ) pregnant women in which you were able to see the child inside the womb-- some of it was sad, i was curious as to how these people died... ack, i can't even type anymore.. but they had displays of every organ in the body.. including smokers lungs vs healthy lungs, livers vs. diseased/alcoholics' livers.. a skinned body with just the bones and nervous system left, same thing with just the cardiovascular system left, it was INSANE. really really really eye-opening... totally not for the fainthearted..

-daniela