Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Seriously considering going back to college,i need help

Originally posted by liteflyr

and lastly for school, i think you should try for rutgers. it's not as expensive as another school with its same academic reputation, plus you'll know a lot of people there :)

good luck.

RUTGERS....yeah baby!!! lol but def she is right...its a good university that is not expensive at all.

And if you do claim yourself independent I'm pretty sure it is fine to live at home as long as you can show (even falsely) that you are paying rent in your own home. Seriouly try to look into it.

And I'm off today if ya need to talk k ...I'll just be hanging out with some fam during the day.

to file independantly you have to have a noterize( not sure of spelling) letter stating you have been paying your parents rent .i think your parents cant have filed taxes last year with you as a dependant and maybe source of income.im going thru the same thing now having to go back to school with a semester off and i transfered to a new school and my credits were non-transferable:mad:

Originally posted by reenichole

to file independantly you have to have a noterize( not sure of spelling) letter stating you have been paying your parents rent .i think your parents cant have filed taxes last year with you as a dependant and maybe source of income.im going thru the same thing now having to go back to school with a semester off and i transfered to a new school and my credits were non-transferable:mad:

werd thanx for the lowdown...yea i think that, last year's income tax is basically the only proof i have that i am independent and prolly can claim myself. ughh i have a lot on my plate but im doing it all for myself.

whaddup man - btw nice meetin u last friday @ luna...

lotta good input from other ppl here but I think I may be able to add a little more... first I'll tell u the situation I was in after graduating HS...

I graduated HS in '96 (holy shit its been 6 years!!) and wanted badly to go to college... unfortuantely I had a bad relationship w/ parents and no money of my own... I tried like hell to get financial aid, but this whole dependant/independent thing kept getting in the way. Every school I know of uses the FAFSA (community colleges could be different, dunno)... and there are only a few ways to claim independence - this is straight from the FAFSA website:

You are an independent student if at least one of the following applies to you:

For the 2002-2003 school year, you were born before January 1, 1979; for the 2001-2002 school year, you were born before January 1, 1978;

You are married

You are enrolled in a graduate or professional educational program (beyond a bachelor's degree)

You have legal dependents other than a spouse;

You are an orphan or ward of the court (or were a ward of the court until age 18);or

You are a veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces ("veteran" includes a student who attended a U.S. military academy who was released under a condition other than dishonorable)

Now for me none of those applied, and the only way I could get to college was through the military or wait till I was 24 (I wasn't about to get married or have kids). So, I joined the army, got out in '99 & started school... I'm not sure if this whole notarized letter about paying rent to parents will work - I know that it didn't work at any of the schools I applied to - but then again the schools you're looking at could be different... talking to the FA office is the only way to find out I guess...

But yeah like a few other ppl were sayin... it is really important to find something you like - why go thru the next 40 years of your life hating your job when you could be loving (or at least liking) it? IMO starting at a community college is fine - go there for 2 years, then 2 more years at a university - your future employer is only gonna see the diploma from the university, so why not start out some place cheaper & easier? Plus most states have programs that offer a lotta financial assistance to those going from a community college to a university (provided u work hard & get good grades).

If you do manage to claim independence, you can go just about anywhere even if you don't have a lot of $$ - just to throw some numbers around Lehigh now costs about 35 K a year, yet I manage to go here making less than 10 K a year working summers & part-time... I will have about 45 K of student loans when I'm done, but as jon said I'm not worried about it as I'll prolly make more than that my first year working... also all loans are deffered until 6 months after graduation...

Anyway, just my input - good luck man...

Originally posted by gmoneyjive

whaddup man - btw nice meetin u last friday @ luna...

lotta good input from other ppl here but I think I may be able to add a little more... first I'll tell u the situation I was in after graduating HS...

I graduated HS in '96 (holy shit its been 6 years!!) and wanted badly to go to college... unfortuantely I had a bad relationship w/ parents and no money of my own... I tried like hell to get financial aid, but this whole dependant/independent thing kept getting in the way. Every school I know of uses the FAFSA (community colleges could be different, dunno)... and there are only a few ways to claim independence - this is straight from the FAFSA website:

You are an independent student if at least one of the following applies to you:

For the 2002-2003 school year, you were born before January 1, 1979; for the 2001-2002 school year, you were born before January 1, 1978;

You are married

You are enrolled in a graduate or professional educational program (beyond a bachelor's degree)

You have legal dependents other than a spouse;

You are an orphan or ward of the court (or were a ward of the court until age 18);or

You are a veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces ("veteran" includes a student who attended a U.S. military academy who was released under a condition other than dishonorable)

Now for me none of those applied, and the only way I could get to college was through the military or wait till I was 24 (I wasn't about to get married or have kids). So, I joined the army, got out in '99 & started school... I'm not sure if this whole notarized letter about paying rent to parents will work - I know that it didn't work at any of the schools I applied to - but then again the schools you're looking at could be different... talking to the FA office is the only way to find out I guess...

But yeah like a few other ppl were sayin... it is really important to find something you like - why go thru the next 40 years of your life hating your job when you could be loving (or at least liking) it? IMO starting at a community college is fine - go there for 2 years, then 2 more years at a university - your future employer is only gonna see the diploma from the university, so why not start out some place cheaper & easier? Plus most states have programs that offer a lotta financial assistance to those going from a community college to a university (provided u work hard & get good grades).

If you do manage to claim independence, you can go just about anywhere even if you don't have a lot of $$ - just to throw some numbers around Lehigh now costs about 35 K a year, yet I manage to go here making less than 10 K a year working summers & part-time... I will have about 45 K of student loans when I'm done, but as jon said I'm not worried about it as I'll prolly make more than that my first year working... also all loans are deffered until 6 months after graduation...

Anyway, just my input - good luck man...

yea nice meeting ya as well...fuckin some very good points u have made...i mean i already have thought many times about joining the air force but eh...idk....but tomm im gonna see a rep at my local comm college to see what is my best approach for my situation...but thanx for the input.

Originally posted by quoth

yea nice meeting ya as well...fuckin some very good points u have made...i mean i already have thought many times about joining the air force but eh...idk....but tomm im gonna see a rep at my local comm college to see what is my best approach for my situation...but thanx for the input.

yeah I didn't mean to sound like I was suggesting some sort of military option - I really hope you can find a way without going that route. For me it was a good (and certainly very maturing) experience, but nothing I would want to do for a career... and I wish I coulda done the college thing with out it... I would already be out in the working world right now if that had been the case...