Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Trillian!

so as many of you may know, AIM is blocked on many corporate networks.

so i just found out about trillian which allows you to load use AIM, yahoo, MSN, IRC, and ICQ all on the same messenger and it works from my work computer

this is dangerous...

Originally posted by gmoneyjive

most places only block the default port AIM uses... so u can just change the port and it works fine (at least that's the way its been the last 2 places I've worked...)

i never bothered to try and load AIM because it is against policy and i was being good.

Not only that but you can use Trillian to encrypt your conversations at 128-bit encryption. One guy in my company had a sniffing program that allowed him to intercept all the AIM chatting that he wanted. Careful what you type.

Originally posted by ou812

Not only that but you can use Trillian to encrypt your conversations at 128-bit encryption. One guy in my company had a sniffing program that allowed him to intercept all the AIM chatting that he wanted. Careful what you type.

can you explain that so i understand? that sounds scary.

yeah, my dog has this sniffing program installed also.

Originally posted by hotcheme

you can use packet sniffers on networks, which means you see what goes through other peoples network connections. its not always easy to decipher, but if your enough of a techie you can do it

Originally posted by hotcheme

It basically means that a person who is using a sniffing device can intercept your chatting (kinda like a wire tap on your phone). Under preferences in Trillian, go to Chatting Services then under AIM or whatever service you are using, click on misc and enable SecureIM capabilities. Needless to say, the person on the other end that you are chatting with needs to be using Trillian and have this enabled for it to work........sooo.

It basically means that a person who is using a sniffing device can intercept your chatting (kinda like a wire tap on your phone). Under preferences in Trillian, go to Chatting Services then under AIM or whatever service you are using, click on misc and enable SecureIM capabilities. Needless to say, the person on the other end that you are chatting with needs to be using Trillian and have this enabled for it to work........sooo.

thanks. i'll be careful