Clubplanet Nightlife Community

How much do Carl Cox, Lee Burridge and other top DJs make

danwilson

I'd say the biggest names like Digweed or Cox make 5- 10k an hour depending on the night of the week. Some not as big names but still kick ass dj's might make 3k an hour. And then you've got Tenaglia, who spins for over 12 hours. Don't know how they work out his bill. Probably a fixed amount and then he just desides when he wants to stop.

How much a dj makes depends on a lot of things, like venue size, location, whether or not flights and accomadations and transportation is included or not, what day of the week, and month of the year, whether or not the location has a relationship with the particular jock and uses him regularly, etc. Each event, date and location is booked and priced accordingly. Sometimes a dj may book a couple of different venues that are close, but not too close and offer them a rate that is lower, but since they are already in the country, its not as much. Often clubs that work together can pull this off. Then a club will ask for exclusivity on a dj and his appearance withing so many miles, they pay a pretty penny for exclusivity. Just my 2 cents as a traveling/touring DJ. I would charge less to play a Friday in Orlando and then a Sat in Miami for example, but if the Miami club didn't want me to play anywhere else in Fla that weekend, they would pay for that exclusivity, and I would probably try to book NYC, Vegas, Chicago, Atlanta or sometbing else that weekend for Friday or Sunday.

thepulse hit it pretty well on the head.

Another example, Ill bet Sasha is getting at most half of his normal asking price at crobar since it is on a monday and not a sat or even friday.

And notice that when Lee cam to Spin on the same day as PVD. Wanna bet he got considerably less than he did at crobar. He must have been in the area and gave them a deal.

There are other DJ's who are not the top rung, but are such a consistant draw that they get the big $$$ too. For example Im pretty sure Victor Caldrone gets 20K every time he spins on Anthem night at Crobar. No one else could get anywher near that for a sunday. But since he packs them in at $40-$50 a head, he gets it.

Oh yeah.. and sometimes the promoters actually take over the door from the club and just pay the club a flat rate (plus obviously the club gets the alcohol sales) In this case the DJ often gets a percentage of the gate.

DJ's get paid according to alot of different variables, of course bigger venues can pay more, guys that draw a crowd and are also producers can charge more. It also depends on the frequency of the dates at the same venue, day of the week, relationship with the venue, etc. I know I'll play a club for an owner I like when he is in a jam for half my normal fee just to help him out and the favor gets returned, same with some promoters. Its a matter of supply and demand, on a weekday or a sunday afternoon, I'll charge less than a sat or sunday, Holidays are more and Thanksgiving and xmas eves are paydays!

Locations, and transportation expenses also have to be factored in. Its a business, as much as I love to pay, anything worth doing is worth getting paid for, they make money, so should the dj. If you start playing cheap or for nothing, you will never get the paying gigs, better to turn down the cheap offers, they will come to their senses sooner or later. Charities are a different ball game, everyone should do a few, it can be rewarding.