Clubplanet Nightlife Community

???Anyone taken the GREs recently???

i took the GRE about a year ago. was the second time i tested actually. i went through the kaplan course and my score improved about 250points.

taking a course like princeton review or kaplan will teach you HOW to take the test - it wont teach you about the subject matter. if you're thinking of going to grad school, you should have already learned that part on your own. those courses will force you to study and take the practice tests over and over and over again.

advice? start preparing EARLY. a couple of months in advance is good. the more practice tests you take, the more comfortable you'll be come test day.

tricks? the logic part might seem intimidating at first, but the more you do, the easier they become. kaplan teaches you ways to draw out and diagram things so you have a visual when analyzing the problems.

what REALLY sucks about the GRE now is that its all on computer. the questions get harder as the number of questions you get correct increase and vice versa. when you feel the questions getting easier, you kind of get this panicky "oh no im fucking up!" feeling and may cause you even more stress. you're also testing in a room with a bunch of people who may not even be taking the GRE too. the proctors dont start everyone at the same time, so there may be people getting up and down for the duration of your test. i had this one girl next to me typing a writting sample while i was on my verbal section. it was ANNOYING hearing her bang away on her keyboard while i was trying to read a comprehension passage.

you're not allowed to bring ANYTHING inside the testing room. they provide you with pencils and paper. you should ask for extra paper and an extra pencil before the test starts so youre not wasting time once the clock is ticking away.

hope this helps you guys. good luck!

Originally posted by sxyaznchiq

i took the GRE about a year ago. was the second time i tested actually. i went through the kaplan course and my score improved about 250points.

taking a course like princeton review or kaplan will teach you HOW to take the test - it wont teach you about the subject matter. if you're thinking of going to grad school, you should have already learned that part on your own. those courses will force you to study and take the practice tests over and over and over again.

advice? start preparing EARLY. a couple of months in advance is good. the more practice tests you take, the more comfortable you'll be come test day.

tricks? the logic part might seem intimidating at first, but the more you do, the easier they become. kaplan teaches you ways to draw out and diagram things so you have a visual when analyzing the problems.

what REALLY sucks about the GRE now is that its all on computer. the questions get harder as the number of questions you get correct increase and vice versa. when you feel the questions getting easier, you kind of get this panicky "oh no im fucking up!" feeling and may cause you even more stress. you're also testing in a room with a bunch of people who may not even be taking the GRE too. the proctors dont start everyone at the same time, so there may be people getting up and down for the duration of your test. i had this one girl next to me typing a writting sample while i was on my verbal section. it was ANNOYING hearing her bang away on her keyboard while i was trying to read a comprehension passage.

you're not allowed to bring ANYTHING inside the testing room. they provide you with pencils and paper. you should ask for extra paper and an extra pencil before the test starts so youre not wasting time once the clock is ticking away.

hope this helps you guys. good luck!

wow, thank you so much. I didnt expect anyone to actually give me an indepth answer.

:D