Clubplanet Nightlife Community

i don't like pvd as much as i thought i did

weyes

well, i've finally accepted the fact that i don't like everybody's demigod, paul van dyk, as much as i thought i did.

i first fell in love with "out there and back," and still think it's amazing. its continuity is flawless, and just a breathtaking piece of work - literally, for me. it's emotionally charged, has a sort of heavenly quality but an acutely hurtful one at the same time - i guess "bittersweet" would be a shorter way of saying that, but not nearly as accurate.

but i don't care much for "seven ways," and, although i really love the first half of disc one of "the politics of dancing," the rest of it does nothing for me. and, after seeing him live twice, i've found that, live, he doesn't really get me going or create a vibe with which i connect. and it breaks my heart, seeing as this is the man who created "out there...," which has really been an important album for me. you know, albums that really mean something and always will?

so, it is with great sadness that i must now stop saying that i'm a true fan of his :( .

i'm actually liking hiom more. i think that his sets are becoming harder and darker. i think its a big difference between what a djspins in an event to what he produces.

alot of people are bashing sasha's cd, but i thin its great., and its totaly different from what you get form sasha on a live set.

out there and back is work of art, i think its his best cd that he's produced. politiocs of dancing is differemnt 'cos its a mixed cd, i think there is only 1 pvd produced track on that complitaion, but out there and back is his best work up to date.

i havent seen him in a long ass time, i'll defintly plan on going to ny on nov 1 to catch him there.

Originally posted by gmccookny

It's one thing to hear his cd's and latest records, but it's another thing to see him live. I missed him the last time he came out here, so i'll have to keep my eyes open :eek:

i heard the crowd at exit was really crappy, so it was probably for the best. next time round'll most likely be better :) .

yeah, a couple of friends went to that, toild them to brace themselves for exit...packed like sardines, humid as a jungle, and i thin kthey even misspelled Paul Van Dyk in the balloons they let loose during the evening. i think next time hell be at roxy or centro, dunno, i definitly plan on making the trek up for that one. hopefully the new crobar in nyc can sign him to a residency.

I know what you mean i saw him a couple of times in my early days clubbing and got swept up in his popularity and started buying his records ala Seven Ways,out there and back.At the time he was my favourite dj but now i just put it down to him being one of the only dj's i had seen at the time.I realized he wasn't for me when i went to see a 6hr set at Gatecrasher and he bored the shit out of me.So much so i went to another a couple of months later just to see if it was a one off but he bored me again,i've not seen him for 2 years now but i must admit his love parade essential mix has been one of my fave sets this year.

I'm gonna check him out @ Creamfields in a couple of weeks if i go and Gatecrashers 8th birthday in September which i'm definatly going to.

Originally posted by starshaped

I know what you mean i saw him a couple of times in my early days clubbing and got swept up in his popularity and started buying his records ala Seven Ways,out there and back.At the time he was my favourite dj but now i just put it down to him being one of the only dj's i had seen at the time.I realized he wasn't for me when i went to see a 6hr set at Gatecrasher and he bored the shit out of me.So much so i went to another a couple of months later just to see if it was a one off but he bored me again,i've not seen him for 2 years now but i must admit his love parade essential mix has been one of my fave sets this year.

I'm gonna check him out @ Creamfields in a couple of weeks if i go and Gatecrashers 8th birthday in September which i'm definatly going to.

i think you have to see him when he's spinning on his own as i believe that in creamfields he'll be with alot of other dj's, so that means hell get like a 1hr set or so. definitly longer sets is where top notch dj's can do more.

Originally posted by starshaped

oo-oo-oo: please give us reviews to those, or links to your reviews, if you post them on another forum :D !

i just remembered, well when i first started going to clubs, for me it was all about trance, but i guess that after listening to other genres of music i just started liking progressive, tribal and techno even more. even though i still listen to trance, maybe its just a case that ones tastes expand as you start seeing what else is out there.

Originally posted by vicman

i think you have to see him when he's spinning on his own as i believe that in creamfields he'll be with alot of other dj's, so that means hell get like a 1hr set or so. definitly longer sets is where top notch dj's can do more.

Thats my point though,it's his longer sets which i hated.I've seen him 4 times altogheter,once at Cream,once on millenium night and two six hour sets at Gatecrasher and i quite liked the 2hr sets,it was the 6hr ones that bored me.

For me i started out with trance,and i still love it with a passion.I've tried listening to a lot of other styles but they just don't do it for me,in a way i wish i was a bit more open minded to music but i'm not.I like the occasional bit of hardhouse and i like Picotto but thats about it really, i think it's probably cos edm was not my first love i was always into bands and that and then i found Gatecrasher.

Weyes-I'll see what i can do for you but my reviews are usually pretty poor cos i'm crap with the names of tunes.I think going to Creamfields is about a 50/50 chance at the moment but i wouldn't miss the birthday bash for anything.

thanks in advance, starshaped, for any forthcoming reviews :) . i especially like to know what's going on in other areas.

and vic, it seems to me that a lot of people enter our world via trance, then get into other things as well, then slowly drift away from it - either having other types of music replace it as their favorite, or just losing their love of trance completely. i, too, don't love it as much as i used to; i used to not have the connection (spiritually speaking) with house that i do today. maybe trance is the "gateway drug" of dance, or something :shaky: .

Originally posted by weyes

maybe trance is the "gateway drug" of dance, or something :shaky: .

maybe, maybe...that mightbe the case...or maybe it was when we started to listen to this type of music, it was trance that was the shit...everyone spun trancy sounds. looking at old sasha, digweed sets, they used to spin more trancy sounds back then, say 1994 or so.

i dunno, i dunno.

well thanks starshaped, i'll be looking fwd. to your reviews. a couple of people from teh DC board recently saw him in NY and said they liked his set, i'm seriously thinkingabout going up to see him when hes back in NYC on nov 1.

Originally posted by weyes

maybe trance is the "gateway drug" of dance, or something :shaky: .

maybe, maybe...that mightbe the case...or maybe it was when we started to listen to this type of music, it was trance that was the shit...everyone spun trancy sounds. looking at old sasha, digweed sets, they used to spin more trancy sounds back then, say 1994 or so.

i dunno, i dunno.

well thanks starshaped, i'll be looking fwd. to your reviews. a couple of people from teh DC board recently saw him in NY and said they liked his set, i'm seriously thinkingabout going up to see him when hes back in NYC on nov 1.