Clubplanet Nightlife Community

what it means to be a DJ (a literary venture)

sgtfury

the other day someone asked me what it meant to be a DJ...that question inspired my latest literary masterpiece... (there are two parts ) enjoy!

I am a DJ..... Not too long ago i got bit by the bug..i went out and heard the music..and i danced to the music and i watched the people dancing to the music and I saw who was playing the music..it was the DJ....and as he stood in the booth..i was transfixed....and i went home and it stayed in my head and i bought some CDs and i listened...and as i listened i knew that i wanted to be the one playing the music and making the people dance..so i saved my money, and saved and i bought some equipment...wasnt the best..but ..it was the best i could do..and i set it up in my room and i bought some records and even though i had no clue to what i was doing..i DJed for the first time..so i practice every day..and man, is it frustrating ...sometimes i sound great...and sometimes...well..it sound really bad..but i keep at it...i cant buy every record that comes out..dont have the cash..but..man i wish i could.. but i know names of all the new records that come out and when im out at the club i can name the records and i can listen to the DJ and tell when they are mixing..and sometimes i hear them make mistakes too...

and as i practice, i dream..i dream of playing in a club..i dream of playing for hundreds, no thousands of people...i tried to play for some of my friends..but i got really nervous..felt better after a little while...but i keep practicing because i feel im getting better and because I love the music and spinning the records makes me feel closer to the music..and that will always be enough for me....

I am a DJ....It has been a really long time, but, I still remember the night..the night i heard that song..and i went out and bought the record..i didnt even have a record player..i kept buying records of songs i liked and then someone asked me to bring my records to a party and play them..the people danced...i remember being really bad in the begining but it all came together...and at some point i had to make some choices and i chose the music..it has really been the only job ive ever known...and now, many years later..it all seems like a blur..ive been around the world, played for thousands and i still think about that first record i bought.. i walk down the street and see a flyer with my name on it and i laugh because im one of the luckiest people on earth because i was able to do what i love...and sometimes i think what would have happened if id never become a famous DJ..where would my life have gone?...i do know that i would still be close to the music ........ and that would have been enough for me..