Clubplanet Nightlife Community

My Scoop on Roxy DJ Showcase:Fri(8/30)

Getting a flu/cold sucks big time, just before Labor Day weekend. So I'm sittin at home waverin on my decision to take up on my invitation to Roxy DJ Showcase, as my temperature goes up and down, and I'm feelin miserable. After doing some meditation exercises, drinkin lotsa fluids and taken a couple of advils, I feel good enough to go.

It's like the last weekend of the summer, so how can I pass it up. This social atmosphere along with dancing up a storm to funky aggressive beats just might cure me of my ills, if not kill me first. And I get the chance to check out what these DJ's are all about at little expense.

But I'm just slow as hell, and I arrive at Roxy at 1:30AM-the latest ever for me to come to a club. I go to the front of this not so long line, and get in without much delay after sayin I'm on a promo's guestlist. Security is chilled like 180 deg. from last week. This time I bring a backpack to put my camera equipment, extra shirt (if the one I wear gets too sweat-soaked), and jacket.

The atmosphere is so dry and smoky as I walk in; many people standin, sittin, and a good number of people working up the dance floor. There was a black DJ on the tables, who must have been Duane King. He didn't do such a bad job and seemed friendly when he gave me a smile as I took his pic. My mood wasn't the greatest at this time, so I just decided to get up on that stage, join the crowd, work up some sweat for like 1 hour until my spirits were lifted. And it worked...I felt better. People dancin with me are like " this dude is really enjoyin himself. "

Then Scott Bond comes on. Listening to him for the first time, droppin hits like "No one's Gonna Change You," the very played Eyra Gayles' "Heaven", and some other energetic trance beats, I like his style;but if I had to choose between him and Vicious, I'd have to choose the latter(maybe because I had a better time last week).

It was so gross when this kid puked a large puddle of yellow ocre vomit on the stage:puke: :puke: . . then the odor started to travel(pheeew!!!) as he sits on the edge with his face still over the mess. He musta had a little too much. Glad security came 5 min later to clean it up; but there was still a lingering of that smell.

It was a more mixed crowd this week from the mostly teenage crowd last week; and more asian people than I usually see at Roxy. I couldn't get over how many sexy asian ladies I saw: Eye-candy galore!! Can't wait to see how some of my pics of these came out. There was also a small open gay crowd since I saw two shirtless guys bumpin and grinding on the floor and stage. I didn't see the Roxy dancers though( I don't know if they were there earlier and left), so that took away from the nite for me.

With my spirits being up now, I go hunt for new CP members, and who do I meet, but the incredible (supposedly mythical) Dan Wilson(sorry about that Robin, Cody you did not kill him) who turns out to be a nice guy. We had a good chat as we talked about the DJ's, clubs around NY, 911, etc.

So Edgar V comes on, and I'm not feelin too much of him. I don't know if it was the fact that over half the Roxy crowd left at this time, but it wasn't happenin. I think after 10 minutes of him being on, the music stopped abruptly and it sounded like that would be the nite. But I heard protests, "play more music, play more music" and it came back on; but not for too long.

I think it ended at the usual 5:30am, instead of the expected 7am. Not the greatest nite: I would rank it 3rd comparin it to Vicious/DMC Finals, and the beach party event....

:idea:

Originally posted by max3

It was so gross when this kid puked a large puddle of yellow ocre vomit on the stage:puke: :puke: . . then the odor started to travel(pheeew!!!) as he sits on the edge with his face still over the mess. He musta had a little too much. Glad security came 5 min later to clean it up; but there was still a lingering of that smell.

EEEEEwwww. How gross!!!! seein that might have caused me to puke:vomit3:

Originally posted by phenomenul

EEEEEwwww. How gross!!!! seein that might have caused me to puke:vomit3:

Know what you mean, I don't know where my mind was when I thought about taking a picture of this. Glad I didn't. Some news is jst not goodd for visual coverage.:no:

Ehh, I could be wrong, but he also played "Heaven" which some people wondered why he bothered to play. So if he played that, it's possible that he played" No One's Gonna Change You", and if he didn't who Did??

the only other DJ it could have been is Duane King( maybe his last track before Bond came on)

:confused:

Nice Roxy pic! I was in front of the stage dancin toward the crowd and like about a min. after that song finished, I looked behind the booth and saw Scott Bond, that's why I thought it was him.....

Originally posted by joediesel

YEA IT WAS KING ..IT WAS RIGHT BEFORE BOND CAME ON

I'm also wonderin what happened to the DJ's that were later additions to the showcase, they didn't get to play:.....:confused:

AND JUST ADDED...

Powerstar (4 Elements Audio)

DJ Tek

Scott Finesse (Domain NYC)

DJ Emerge (Beats Entertainment)

Originally posted by max3

Getting a flu/cold sucks big time, just before Labor Day weekend. So I'm sittin at home waverin on my decision to take up on my invitation to Roxy DJ Showcase, as my temperature goes up and down, and I'm feelin miserable. After doing some meditation exercises, drinkin lotsa fluids and taken a couple of advils, I feel good enough to go.

It's like the last weekend of the summer, so how can I pass it up. This social atmosphere along with dancing up a storm to funky aggressive beats just might cure me of my ills, if not kill me first. And I get the chance to check out what these DJ's are all about at little expense.

But I'm just slow as hell, and I arrive at Roxy at 1:30AM-the latest ever for me to come to a club. I go to the front of this not so long line, and get in without much delay after sayin I'm on a promo's guestlist. Security is chilled like 180 deg. from last week. This time I bring a backpack to put my camera equipment, extra shirt (if the one I wear gets too sweat-soaked), and jacket.

The atmosphere is so dry and smoky as I walk in; many people standin, sittin, and a good number of people working up the dance floor. There was a black DJ on the tables, who must have been Duane King. He didn't do such a bad job and seemed friendly when he gave me a smile as I took his pic. My mood wasn't the greatest at this time, so I just decided to get up on that stage, join the crowd, work up some sweat for like 1 hour until my spirits were lifted. And it worked...I felt better. People dancin with me are like " this dude is really enjoyin himself. "

Then Scott Bond comes on. Listening to him for the first time, droppin hits like "No one's Gonna Change You," the very played Eyra Gayles' "Heaven", and some other energetic trance beats, I like his style;but if I had to choose between him and Vicious, I'd have to choose the latter(maybe because I had a better time last week).

It was a more mixed crowd this week from the mostly teenage crowd last week; and more asian people than I usually see at Roxy. I couldn't get over how many sexy asian ladies I saw: Eye-candy galore!! Can't wait to see how some of my pics of these came out. There was also a small open gay crowd since I saw two shirtless guys bumpin and grinding on the floor and stage. I didn't see the Roxy dancers though( I don't know if they were there earlier and left), so that took away from the nite for me.

With my spirits being up now, I go hunt for new CP members, and who do I meet, but the incredible (supposedly mythical) Dan Wilson(sorry about that Robin, Cody you did not kill him) who turns out to be a nice guy. We had a good chat as we talked about the DJ's, clubs around NY, 911, etc.

So Edgar V comes on, and I'm not feelin too much of him. I don't know if it was the fact that over half the Roxy crowd left at this time, but it wasn't happenin. I think after 10 minutes of him being on, the music stopped abruptly and it sounded like that would be the nite. But I heard protests, "play more music, play more music" and it came back on; but not for too long.

I think it ended at the usual 5:30am, instead of the expected 7am. Not the greatest nite: I would rank it 3rd comparin it to Vicious/DMC Finals, and the beach party event....

:idea:

It's a shame since it seems like no one on the CPboard heard them to give any kind of review. That's the hazards of bein in VIP:rolleyes:

Originally posted by djmikebugout

those other guys spun in the vip room in the back--

Mike Bugout

yeah, that was a good trance version of "Heaven" but I've heard better on some CD's. Dan you have a good memory. thanks. So was I having delusions, or was that song"No One's Gonna Change You" played by someone, and if so, Who?:confused: :confused: :confused:

Originally posted by danwilson

The last song Duane King played was a remixed version of Thunder by ACDC. Scott Bond played a tranced version of heaven. He didn't play the version you hear on the radio. He added this really good trance beat to it.

We finally get sum feedback on VIP. YaAAAA.....DJ Tek is a cool name, I'll have to research and listen to some of his stuff:cool:

Originally posted by dreamdrops

dj tek was amazing!! spun breaks, prog and finished it off with some nice trance!! last five tracks he played were amazing...the sound in the vip section sucks ass...tek ruled