Clubplanet Nightlife Community

A real stupid comment...

Yesturday we had a discussion about the attacks in 1 class (thats the only class that brought up what was going on)..so anyway we have this 1 older woman in the class...she made a comment that her daughter wanted to go outside & light a candle but she didn't want her daughter to hear about/see anything else about 9/11 (her daughter is 9) THIS COMMENT PISSED ME OFF! We don't live in a bubble & this is something that is a part of our history & something we are all going through as Americans...I can understand her daughter might not understand in detail what 9/11 is but rather just have a general view of it...just b/c she is 9 doesn't mean she should be shielded away from this, the little girl took interest in lighting a candle so obviously she knows a little something about the day..& what about other 9 year olds who lost their parents & are FORCED to deal with all this? are they exceptions ?

I will most likely be a 4th grade teacher by this time next year & I plan on discussing this day with my students on every anniversary of 9/11.....

This woman basically came across as the type of parent who lies to their kids about life & the world...who sugarcoats everything to protect their kids...which IMO is sucky parenting but anyway...I feel children should be apart of this day as much as anyone else.

That's it :cool:

I agree, its that type of sheilding that made us totally unaware and taken off guard when they attacked in the first place

people in the USA need to start paying attention to what's going down in the rest of the world

although I wouldn't say we should saturate young people's minds with images of 9/11, even I didn't want to watch it all night, but its no good to try to BS your kids that the world isn't a dangerous and serious place, cuz shit's bound to hit the fan again and I'd prefer everyone including kids knows the deal before that happens

We could have looked at our own country, not to mention the rest of the world, to see it coming: WTC attacked in '93, US Embassies attacked in Africa, USS Cole attacked in Yemen. For nearly 10 years the US government did nothing to protect it's citizens, property and ideals. Remember in 1996 the Sudanese gov't offered to turn Bin Laden over to the U.S. Our gov't declined the opportunity! And here we are now!!!!

It's good to hear that you, as a teacher, will continue to keep up the good fight!