Clubplanet Nightlife Community

article about Junior,Limelight&Crowbar...

acidhd

Meanwhile, our megaclubs continue to tread water. Junior Vasquez’s Earth afterhours party should endure at least through the fall with a number of divas set to grace the Hell’s Kitchen stage in the coming weeks. Victor Calderone’s monthly Tribalism engagements at Arc have been building momentum as well, drawing a nicely mixed crowd of both gay and straight dance devotees, while Danny Tenaglia’s Be Yourself , also at Arc, takes its come-as-you-are vibe and Danny’s deep house into its fourth year. You can’t help but feel that DJs are biding their time - as are most of us - in anticipation of the opening of the thoroughly remodeled Limelight and Miami’s Crobar franchise (realists now place Crobar’s ribbon-cutting sometime next summer, perhaps in time for Pride).

The new Limelight (one of three names being floated as potential monikers for the space. The others? Empire and Escape) will look very little like its predecessor. Owner John Blair has gutted the building, erasing all traces of the structure’s cathedral skeleton from its interior and creating a space that is at once accommodating and slick - think xl glossiness. “I bet you cannot name a DJ I haven’t walked through here,” Blair states of the club, now slated to open in November, as he gave us a sneak look at the legendary space. “A lot of DJs were interested in everything from designing the DJ booth to the sound system.” A big- name Limelight resident is booked, though Blair is mum on making any public announcement until closer to the space’s grand opening.

Already busy with his Sundays at The Park party, which is now monthly and catching on fast (see this week’s Homo Dish), promoter Marc Berkley has his hands full this fall with a lineup of downsized parties. “People want smaller venues,” Berkley assesses. “It’s just a whole different scene. My party at The Park is different than some of the things I used to do. I was all for sex, drugs and rock ’n’ roll before, but you have to change with the times! The drinks may be a little more money, but you’re treated with class - and The Park is beautiful.”

Berkley plans to throw parties catering to more mixed crowds, beginning with an old school night at Britney Spears’ NYLA eatery. “The stuff I’m doing is mostly gay,” Berkley says, then qualifies: “But gay people have female friends and straight friends. Personally, I like the straight men - they’re so much easier to lay!”

“It’s about the party, it’s not about the money,” Berkley adds of tomorrow’s club vibe. “Unfortunately, over the past couple of years, people have forgotten about that.” So nightlife in the fall looks to be getting back to basics. Could this be the start of a grass-roots nightlife movement? In a city where nothing is simple, it’s one hell of a concept.

This is from this week HX.COM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------