a FREE event to instill Culture into the mundane folks:

loch

Wednesday, September 18

Free: Downtown NYC River to River Festival 2002

Featuring: Trisha Brown Dance Company

(@ Battery Park, first come first served seating /

grab a patch of lawn)

-Downtown NYC River to River Festival 2002 overview-

Evening Stars Music and Dance Festival in Historic Battery Park, September 2 -20, is the Lower Manhattan Cultural Council's acclaimed festival. Presented for the past three years on the Plaza of the World Trade Center, Evening Stars was in the middle of its dance series on September 11, 2001. The festival shines again this year in Historic Battery Park with free performances by Kristjan Järvi's Absolute and Metro Mass Choir, and the world class dance companies of Merce Cunningham, Mark Morris, Trisha Brown, Paul Taylor, Garth Fagan, David Parsons, Bill T. Jones/Arnie Zane, Dance Theatre of Harlem, Noh Drama Theater of Japan, and others.

-Directions-

All events are free.

Historic Battery Park is accessible from State Street at Pearl, and adjacent to the Staten Island Ferry Terminal. By subway: take the 4 or 5 to Bowling Green, or the N or R to Whitehall. By bus: take the 1 or 6 bus (marked South Ferry) to Pearl Street.

-Historic Battery Park-

All performances 7:00 - 9:00 pm unless otherwise noted.

http://www.lmcc.net/lmcc/index_calendar.htm

about Trisha Brown Dance Company

http://www.trishabrowncompany.org/

photo_cohis1.jpg

For over 30 years the Trisha Brown Dance Company has been dedicated to the creation and presentation of work by its renowned artistic director, Trisha Brown. The Company continues to produce work ranging from solos to large-scale choreography, and chamber and grand operas. Currently, TBDC is preparing for a museum exhibition scheduled to open in September 2002 at the Addison Gallery in Andover, MA, celebrating Ms. Brown's own work as a visual artist and her collaborations with others in that field.

photo_cohis2.jpg

The Trisha Brown Dance Company has presented the work of its legendary artistic director for more than 30 years. Founded in 1970 when Trisha Brown branched out from the experimental Judson Dance Theater to work with her own group of dancers, TBDC offered its first performances at alternative sites in Manhattan's Soho district. Today, the Company is regularly seen in the landmark opera houses of New York, Paris, London, and many other theaters around the world. The repertory has grown from solos and small group pieces to include major evening-length works, and important collaborations between Ms. Brown and major visual artists.

In 1998 TBDC co-produced Ms. Brown's first opera, Monteverdi's Orfeo, in partnership with Belgium's national opera house, La Monnaie. The opera toured to several major European sites, received its New York premiere in 1999, and was revived at La Monnaie in May 2002. The Company also participated in a production of Luci Mie Traditrici, composed by Salvatore Sciarrino, seen at La Monnaie, the Lincoln Center Festival 2001, and Opera de Rouen. TBDC will join forces with Lincoln Center again in December 2002 to present Winterreise, featuring Company dancers and Simon Keenlyside singing the landmark Schubert song-cycle.

The company of ten dancers offers annual New York seasons and tours worldwide for about twenty weeks each year. Each site offers new opportunities to introduce Trisha Brown's work in ways that are tailored to the local audience. At colleges and universities, master classes, lectures, and informal demonstrations enhance the Company performances, and outreach programs help performing arts centers form links with community groups. Special classes for elementary and secondary school students offer first hand experience of Ms. Brown's process, de-mystifying the world of post-modern art.

brown.jpg

why don't you take your "culture" and shove it up your ass. a random, isolated one-time attendance of the arts does not make you a cultured individual, you pompous ass.

it is the likes of you that gives the performing arts a bad name, with your privileged decadent lifestyle, sipping wine and schmoozing with the high muckity muck superficial social sphere that you call the circuit, having your pretentious chatter about "the state of social reform" (which you know absolutely NOTHING about nor care about, yet at the same time, shake your head in pity and say "what a shame" as if you're at all genuinely concerned) at benefits and gala's and grand openings--just to say you did a good deed by paying $10,000 for a plate that benefits nobody but the same pockets that dished it out in the first place--that's right, your own degenerate wealthy "social sphere". arts and culture my ass.

..you know i love people that post about events midday on the DAY of the event...as if all of us uncultured mundane sheep have every evening open awaiting such affairs...

this sounds great loch...but i already have plans for tonight...next time advance notice would be appreciated...

Originally posted by rustednutts

why don't you take your "culture" and shove it up your ass. a random, isolated one-time attendance of the arts does not make you a cultured individual, you pompous ass.

it is the likes of you that gives the performing arts a bad name, with your privileged decadent lifestyle, sipping wine and schmoozing with the high muckity muck superficial social sphere that you call the circuit, having your pretentious chatter about "the state of social reform" (which you know absolutely NOTHING about nor care about, yet at the same time, shake your head in pity and say "what a shame" as if you're at all genuinely concerned) at benefits and gala's and grand openings--just to say you did a good deed by paying $10,000 for a plate that benefits nobody but the same pockets that dished it out in the first place--that's right, your own degenerate wealthy "social sphere". arts and culture my ass.

He said muckity muck....

:laugh2::laugh2:

well, mr. oxidized cajones, the reason why i wouldn't shove ANYTHING up my ass is because, well, and to quote Lucas from barvybe's rex manning day thread, "it would hurt a lot". (this is the same logic as to why i don't shove anything up ANY orifices other than my mouth, and even then, i have an exclusively select list.) ;)

and for your information, mr. decrepit scrotum, this is a class-neutral and free event. (where/how the hell did you get all that shit about pretension and class from?) no pretension here. just a grand ol' time watching modern dance on a comfortable grassy knoll on a cool evening in the great outdoors of lower manhattan, and to something i would've otherwise not been able to afford to see at a "high muckity muck" opera house/performing arts center.

and by the way, why are your balls rusted? as a result of underusage or overusage? no matter, but i highly recommend :aright: :

attachment.php?s=&postid=1037604

is it just me, or are there alter-egos and multiple personalities running amuck here on CP as of late? take your medicine and keep them in check! ;)

...so he doesn't bitch about getting notices last minute yadda yadda yadda....

(btw way, last night's Trisha Brown Dance Company's performance was beautiful, and i ran into our dear friend saigray)

from http://www.lmcc.net/lmcc/index_calendar.htm

(Lower Manhattan Cultural Council free events)

------------------------------------------------------------------------

SEPTEMBER

Thursday, September 19

Downtown NYC River to River Festival 2002

Featuring: Kronos Quartet

Friday, September 20

Featuring: Bill T. Jones/Arnie Zane Dance Company

OCTOBER

Wednesday, October 2

6:30 - 11pm

Looking In Storefront Exhibition -- Opening Night Benefit Party

50 Murray Street, Church Street, Park Place and West Broadway, NYC

Saturday, October 12 & Sunday, October 13

12pm - 6pm

New Views: DUMBO - 2002 Open Studio Exhibition

Brooklyn, NYC

Friday, October 18

6 - 9pm

New Views: DUMBO Lecture Lounge, a conversation with participating artists

Brooklyn, NYC

Saturday, October 19 & Sunday, October 20

12pm - 6pm

New Views: DUMBO - 2002 Open Studio Exhibition

Brooklyn, NYC

Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - Friday, January 17, 2003

New Views: WFC - 2002 Exhibition

World Financial Center, NYC

------------------------------------------------------------------------

the rest of the schedule really doesn't do much for me, except for the Bill T. Jones/Arnie Zane Dance Company which i'll most likely go and perhaps the DUMBO Open Studio exhibits.

Originally posted by LavenderMenace

*giggles* you're artsy fartsy *giggle* teehee

:tongue:

i wouldn't talk, ms. operatic soprano. (to those who don't know, our very own purple menace has a GREAT voice; she's done quite a bit with her voice in a former life)

and yes, it DID happen, damn it. ;)

another free event this FRIDAY:

Friday, September 20

Featuring: Bill T. Jones/Arnie Zane Dance Company

Bill.jpg

from http://www.geocities.com/Broadway/Balcony/3252/company.html

-Bill T. Jones/Arnie Zane Dance Company-

Founded as a multicultural dance company in 1982, Bill T. Jones/Arnie Zane Dance Company is the product of an 11-year collaboration between Bill T. Jones and Arnie Zane. It emerged onto the international scene in 1982 with the world premiere of Intuitive Momentum with legendary drummer Max Roach at the Brooklyn Academy of Music. Extensive touring quickly followed, taking the company to prestigious houses such as Sadler's Wells in London; Theater de la Ville in Paris; Zellerbach Theater in Berkley; the Kennedy Center in Washington, D.C.; Cultural Center of the Philippines; and the Jerusalem Theater in Israel. Since then the ten-member company has performed its ever-growing repertoire (currently over 50 works) in 30 countries and over 100 American cities, and taught and performed under the aegis of the United States Information Agency in Asia and Southeast Asia. Audiences of approximately 100,000 annually see the company across the country and around the world.

Company2.jpg

Bill T. Jones/Arnie Zane Dance Company's work has often been described as a fusion of dance and theater. This is undoubtedly most apparent in its evening length works, including Animal Trilogy, which premiered in 1986 at the Lyon Biennale de la Danse, and Last Supper at Uncle Tom's Cabin/ The Promised Land, which premiered as part of the Next Wave Festival at the Brooklyn Academy of Music in 1990. Last Supper was awarded two New York Dance and Theater Awards (Bessies) for costume design and musical scoring, and was the subject of a BBC documentary. In 1994, Still/Here premiered at the Brooklyn Academy of Music. Still/Here explores and contemplates survival, life, and art through dance and music. This critically acclaimed work was filmed for television broadcast and was the subject of a Bill Moyer special that was first broadcast in January 1997. The company's most recent evening length work, We Set Out Early... Visibility Was Poor, received its United Stated premiere at the Kennedy Center in October 1997 and its European premiere at the Peacock Theater (Sadler's Wells) in March 1998.

btjones.jpgdance.JPG